BC Boards

Rescued an older puppy

That's great progress!

I meant to post yesterday and tell you about my dog. When he first came home, he was terrified of all people, and would growl and bark if anyone came too close. After a long time (and having strangers give treats as much as possible), he got to the point where he could look at humans neutrally - he would just ignore them. Now, after three and a half years here, he's got a vaguely optimistic view of us: he'll actually start to approach strangers if we see them on walks. He doesn't always go to them - sometimes he still turns around and backs away, and sometimes barks, still - but the fact that he sees the potential for a good outcome in encounters with strangers is a big step for him.

So, I'd say there's great hope for your dog to look normal to the outside world! Sounds like it's going to happen sooner than you thought!

Mary

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We actually got him at the Dekalb Human Society a.k.a. PAWS Atlanta. We went to the Gwinnett shelter, but didn't find a dog that "clicked" for us. We have children, so we had to be careful to choose with the whole family in mind. Indy, despite his shyness is very relaxed with the kids, and they are respectful of him. Indy has brought out a calmness in my son that I did not think was possible. Today they sat on the couch together and just hung out. After reading these boards I was shocked because DS is only two and a half!

Today Indy is definitely more comfortable with all of us.

I'm near you too...I'm in Canton. My Border Collie came from Cherokee County AC and my Aussie puppy came from Rome AC.

Thanks ErinKate!

I didn't realize there were so many BC people in Georgia. It's nice to see that quite a few people also chose to rescue.

Last night a local trainer with three BCs of her own put me in touch with a member of the Georgia Stock Dog Association who works with only Border Collies. Both the obediance trainer and the stock dog trainer answered a lot of questions about Indy's behavior. The obedience trainer even volunteered to come out and meet him for a consultation. I know how important training is, and eventually I want to get into some kind of sport with him, but I think I am going to give him at least a month or two to learn to trust us. However, while they both said it is just going to take time they gave me conflicting information. The obiediance trainer was very concerned that he could fear bite someone and said I am probably rushing things when I take him to work with me (he sits under the desk and I don't force him to interact with anyone.) She says I should keep him in his crate at home. The stock dog trainer said that what I am currently doing sounds fine. He recommended that I keep his crate as a haven, but to socialize him by keeping him with me. He even suggested that I take Indy to work with me, even before he knew that was what I was already doing. I feel I am not putting more on Indy than I think he can handle, but I also don't want to risk stressing him or, worse, Indy biting someone. So, what to do?

I think I am going to give him at least a month or two to learn to trust us. However, while they both said it is just going to take time they gave me conflicting information. The obiediance trainer was very concerned that he could fear bite someone and said I am probably rushing things when I take him to work with me (he sits under the desk and I don't force him to interact with anyone.) She says I should keep him in his crate at home. The stock dog trainer said that what I am currently doing sounds fine. He recommended that I keep his crate as a haven, but to socialize him by keeping him with me. He even suggested that I take Indy to work with me, even before he knew that was what I was already doing. I feel I am not putting more on Indy than I think he can handle, but I also don't want to risk stressing him or, worse, Indy biting someone. So, what to do?

Learn to read your dog. I wouldn't take him to work with me just yet. When he's consistently comfortable with you at home, including interacting with you, hubby and the kids, AND he's comfortable going places in the car, then I'd think about taking him to work just for a pop in type thing. Going in on a day when there's no one else there, and you can show him around might be a good thing, too. Have a covered crate there, too.

Look for signs of stress: Panting, turning away, holding his breath. Calming Signals is an excellent book for this. Be prepared, the first couple times you take him anywhere, to leave if he starts to get too stressed. Some excitement is a good thing, you want to not push him over the edge and have to back track.

Generally, if a scared, shy dog feels he has another way out, he won't bite. So, if Indy knows he can go to his crate, or retreat to under your desk at work when he's worried, he'll do that rather than bite. Don't let him get cornered or surrounded by people.

I'm so happy to hear that Indy is relaxing and feeling better - way to go!

Ruth

Congratulations on what you are doing. I always talk about Chris as being my first dog as an adult, but he wasn't really. The very first was a female Border Collie caught as a stray. She was so shy, she would pee on herself if anyone came close. The pound would put her down, so I kept her for a month. I was living in a No Pets house, but stiff-armed the landlord as long as I could. After a month, I could go into the garage where we kept her, and read a book. She would spend about 5 minutes working her way towards me, then lie down next to me and let me rub her gently. If someone else came into the garage, she'd immediately pee.

I couldn't convince the landlord to let me keep her, and no one would rent me a place with a dog like her. After a month, I had to take her to the pound. As expected, they killed her for lack of space and low probability of adoption. A couple of months later, I saw a newspaper ad for a BC/GSD cross, and got Chris. Since he had no issues, I was able to find another place to move to. We never even gave the little girl dog a name...

So I'm very glad to see people like yourself take on a timid dog. I still believe the little girl dog could have someday made a fine companion, if she'd only had time.

Also - last summer, we bought an arabian mare who had spent the previous months in a pasture with quarter horses. Mia is very dominant, but she got her butt beat by all the bigger horses. She was way light and fearful of other horses when we got her. We were new horse owners. Mia spent the next 3 months or so acting fearful, colicky, sweating, trying to fight our other two horses (one of which turned out to have been a previous corral-mate of Mia's!)...she gradually calmed a bit. Then, around mid-November, something clicked. She decided she was home & safe. She assumed duties as 'herd mare', gained weight, stopped the colic & sweating, started to look forward to being ridden...she is now the horse the other two rely on for comfort and calm.

Animals don't know our intentions. Sometimes it takes a while for them to understand that they can trust people and relax. Once they do, their personality finally emerges.

Thanks again for what you are doing. It is a wonderful thing, and I'm sure you'll be rewarded!

I also applaud you for adopting Indy! I'm sure if he's already relaxing that he's already beginning to trust you.

As someone who does take her dog to work, I agree it is really hard to know when they will be able to handle it. But if you think that Indy might possibly get territorial over your desk or you or your work area, something, I agree with Ruth that you should wait, and would add that it might be wise to bring in a crate to work when you do come. In our office, as in many offices that have a dog-friendly policy, the people who made the decision to let us have dogs come in know very little about dogs. "Normal" dog behavior is in many ways frowned upon. 2 barks at a squirrel in the atrium will get dirty looks, if you know what I mean. Really, they expect exceptional behavior as a condition for allowing dogs to come, which in my mind is reasonable. And if people bring dogs that aren't bombproof and something happens, even if it was because a coworker doesn't know how to read dog language, it will be the dogs who are blamed and probably all of them banned for liability reasons.

This is timely for me because a coworker recently brought in his 70-lb GSD mix Xena. Xena is a lovely dog, but one look at her and I could tell she is pretty nervous around strangers, and territorial over the one place in the building she sees as safe - my coworker's office and a small radius outside the doorway into the hall. She also can't see all that well anymore, and is sensitive about being "snuck up on". I met her fine, using some techniques I learned on this board, but later 2 other people came by unsuspecting and the dog lunged and snapped at each of them. Partly, this was because my coworker allowed her to be outside his office so she "wouldn't get nervous" but therefore allowed her to be made nervous by all the hall traffic and people approaching. He also didn't explicitly warn anyone else about her sensitivity, probably because he didn't want her viewed as a dangerous dog -- which she's not, if she's feeling safe. And probably not even still - like I said she only snapped and presumably chose NOT to bite. But the perception made everyone, especially the people who have to be concerned with liability, nervous about the entire dog thing anyway. As much as I like Xena and personally knew how to approach her, I do think my coworker should have either not brought her in, or if he did, keep her crated or tethered behind the desk in his office. In other words, protect her from the clueless and also protect everyone's privilege to bring their own dogs.

All this being said, I DO think it might be wonderfully bonding for the two of you (and therefore therapeutic to him) to go to work when you think he's able, or when/if you know you can manage him. Even crated, Odin watches me and other people all day with rapt fascination. I love taking breaks with him and he loves every day he goes!

Thanks to all who have shared their stories with me. I love reading about other cases like this and seeing how they were handled.

I actually work part time as a personal trainer in a very small gym. It's really just myself and the owner who work there, and she also owns a BC mix though her dog is much older (14) and does not come into work. Generally I only have two to five other people with me (clients), and they are too busy sweating! The gym is 4,600 sq ft., so Indy definitely does not feel crowded. Originally I had thought it would be great to have him run with myself and my clients when we do interval laps around the building, but for now I have left him to come out when he wants. The clients know he is there, but I have also told them that I do not want him bothered. We take walks together between client sessions and he loves going out and sitting in the grass. But if you guys think it may be better for him to remain home, then I will try it tomorrow and see how he does. He will only be home for about three to four hours before DH comes home from work.

Here are some pics of him "hanging out" watching traffic at work:

post-9699-1232932596_thumb.jpg

"Do you mind, I like privacy when I sniff."

post-9699-1232932632_thumb.jpg

"Whatcha lookin' at?"

post-9699-1232932657_thumb.jpg

Let me know what you guys think he may be mixed with, or if you think he is a PB.

What's he mixed with? Hmmm, maybe you could get me a CLOSER shot! lol BCs range so much, really it is tough to tell. I had a PB male once with that square boofy head like yours. It makes me think chow, but I really think a chow would carry more color than what you have there. Really he looks like he could have enough spots to be crossed with a dal. Who knows, who cares, he is cute as heck! I just love him! I am a big fan of your new guy! No reason he couldn't be PB

Yikes. Maybe he's getting it all over with now and then he'll be as right as rain for the rest of his life ...

Crossing our fingers that its not serious :rolleyes: And yes, keep us in the loop.

best,

Ailsa

I am sitting in the vet's office waiting on an x-ray for Indy. He is crapping pure blood. How much more does this little guy have to go through!?

Definitely sending positive thoughts your way. Perhaps him keeping to himself could also be attributed to him not feeling well? I have a boxer-lab mix who has a super sensitive stomach and had frequent episodes of bloody stool (at least 2x a month) for about a year. I tried out several high quality foods and finally found one that wouldn't upset her tummy, but to this day if she has a stressful day or gets overly excited, her stomach will give her problems.

Sending good thoughts and prayers for the little guy and for you. I have been watching this thread with interest, but had nothing to add to the great advice you had already gotten.

Please keep us updated.

Esox and Alex

Indy is spending the night at the vet's. He is dehydrated, so they are giving him fluids. He either has a blockage or he is having an allergic reaction to the penicillin. They will be giving him barium and more x-rays to check for a blockage. Personally, I think it is the penicillin. This is really putting a strain on us financially, but we don't have a choice. I just pray that it is as afrancis said and he is getting his medical issues out of the way early and plans on being perfectly healthy for the rest of his long life. Thanks for the good thoughts, everyone.

The vet just told me he passed the barium swallow, so there is no blockage. It seems he just had a really bad allergic reaction to penecillin. They are keeping him for the day to ensure he keeps progressing, but he should be home by this evening!

Considering how freaked out he was from just coming to live with us, how much is this going to set him back?

Considering how freaked out he was from just coming to live with us, how much is this going to set him back?

First, I'm so glad he's better and will be coming home soon. Sheesh, the lot of you are really getting all the joys of dog ownership, right up front.

He may just be so glad to be home that he won't be freaked out. After all those medical procedures, he'll think your home is heaven. He may also be very, very tired and lethargic for a day or three. On top of his illnesses, the penicillin reaction will likely leave him exhausted. I'd expect him to sleep quite a bit.

Your boy has some wonderful humans on his side,

Ruth

I'm going to agree with Ruth here. I think he's going to be velcro when you get him home; aside from sleeping to recover from the stress and the sheer exhaustion from his physical condition, I think the bonding you are going to experience will be second to none :D . When you go to take him home from the vet's, I would take some extra yummy treats with you (nothing outrageous so as not to further upset his system) and pass them along to the techs, the front desk workers etc. to give to him so that his 'vet memory' isn't all bad.

My friend's dog, who eats everything and anything it shouldn't, had to go to get its stomach pumped several times last summer. He was always a friendly dog but still somewhat aloof with me. I went with her to visit him and then again when we picked him up to come home, and boy, after that he has always been EXTRA-affectionate with me specifically. I believe he thinks I was instrumental in getting him out of there :rolleyes:

Ailsa

Short horse story: Mia (Arabian mare) came to us somewhat beat up from living in a pasture with bigger horses. She was nervous and very stand-offish with humans. The first step in her turn around came the night we had a vet out for colic. We spent a lot of hours walking her, checking her when she was down, etc. And yes, she KNEW it. There was a definite change in her attitude. Before, we were strangers. Afterwards, she wasn't lovey-dovey or bomb-proof - in fact, I have a huge bruise right now from where we parted company by mutual consent just before she bolted thru a rock covered area - but we weren't strangers anymore. Not quite friends, but at least close acquaintances!

More months followed before she 'settled' and felt at home, but she knew full well our concern and attempts to help her that night.

I didn't appreciate how long it takes an animal to regain trust and confidence in humans. In my experience, they don't switch completely overnight - but the care you give WILL be rewarded. They KNOW.

Indy came home last night. When the vet brought him out he was a shaking ball of fur, but as soon as he saw we were leaving he SO wanted out of there. He jumped right into the truck, instead of hesitating like he usually does. Once we were home you could see the relief. Later that night I went to take him out for one last walk and he did the first playful/puppyish thing I have ever seen him do.

Thanks to everyone for your support.