BC Boards

Out of Control Puppy

Photographic evidence that pups are not at all crazy. Yeah right!!!

They certainly don't annoy their siblings:

n1009986132_30072601_8950.jpg

Or stalk...

n1009986132_30072603_9407.jpg

Or run around like crazy...

n1009986132_30072604_9614.jpg

Or stalk some more...

n1009986132_30072605_9827.jpg

Or chew things you tell them not to chew...

n1009986132_30072606_61.jpg

Even after you've reminded them...

n1009986132_30072608_502.jpg

:rolleyes::D :D :D

Or talk back

vid on youtube

Riley has some serious Zoomies!!!

I would like to have pics of a puppy running laps on the couch, but puppies number 1 and number 2 ate my couch. :rolleyes: LOL. I was all set to get a new one and then got Dexter, so it's probably better to wait at this point! LOL

WOW This thread almost describe Troy-boy perfectly! He dived me crazy. If he wanted something Troy did it. He knew what NO meant but could care less. Basically no correction worked and Troy was attached to someone at all times. Somewhere around 6 months it clicked that people and dogs should work together not against each other. LOL One reason he will be neuter is because how bad he was as a pup(3months-6months). :rolleyes: I would never wish that on anyone!

I have to say the thing I hated the most was kenneling him. Not because I thought it was cruel but because he would throw a temper tantrum if left in it. His kennel should have been a great place. He was fed in it, given chews in it, kongs and puzzles, plus given treats for going in it. but the second you turn to leave he would start yelling, barking, howling, growling. It wouldn't stop and could/would go on for hours. If you walked toward the kennel it would stop. I wasn't about to let a puppy have free rein of the house because he didn't like to be confine. So I talked with vets, trainers, his breeder, and a behaviorist for about 4 months (We thought he had sever separation anxiety) till someone suggested we tell him KNOCK IT OFF once he started. :D He now knows kennels are to slept/relax in.

Thank doG he is pass that!!!

When we got our dog Sage (he's 5.5 months now) he actually wasn't as crazy as we thought he would be. Not to mention, we live in an apartment without a backyard. You'd think it should be a disaster with a purebred border collie, but it's definitely been the opposite. If he kept this energy he has now through out his whole life we would be so happy. I mean, he plays like a puppy and gets hyper sometimes but as soon as he stepped into our home, we started the training. Training really gets his mind working. Keywords: training and exercise. We either take him to the dog park everyday or throw a frisbee in a fenced in area for as long as he'll do it. He gets hardcore exercise average 2 hours per day. The rest of our time with him is pretty much a breeze because most of his energy has been zapped. He loves to cuddle with us and sit and watch television. He loves to sleep with as a well. I'm thinking we got pretty lucky with Sage. Also, we feed him high quality dog food---Innova. That could have something to do with it.

Something to look forward to. There is a small spot in the border collie brain where they store crazy puppy information. As they age from time to time they will tap into this section and go into chaos mode. All of my dogs do this and yesterday they all got together to do it at the same time. We took the dogs out for some snow frisbee. I made one throw and my dogs all went for it. They don't usually do this. They normally wait their turn. My youngest dog Dave got to the frisbee first, he grabbed it and started running with my other two dogs right behind him. We have a twenty acre field next to our place that has about two feet of snow. Away they went all over the field chasing each other and grabbing the frisbee. There was snow flying everywhere. They were crashing and banging and knocking each other down. I watched them for a couple of minutes and then called them off. Nothing happened. They completely ignored me, my best dog completely ignored me. They started to run out of gas a little and I was able to call of the two oldest dogs but not Dave. He kept running around the field like a crazy dog. I could not get him back so I sent my best dog Pete to run him down and that started the whole thing over again. I let them go until they were tired and called them off but still Dave would not come. We finally ended up running Dave down or at least Pete did for us and putting him on a leash. I have no idea what all of that was about.Even well trained adult border collies can have puppy brain.

When we got our dog Sage (he's 5.5 months now) he actually wasn't as crazy as we thought he would be. Not to mention, we live in an apartment without a backyard. You'd think it should be a disaster with a purebred border collie, but it's definitely been the opposite...Keywords: training and exercise.

It is a rare night that my wife & I don't thank God we got Rusty the Aussie pup before Black Jack. Rusty was 4 months old, played a lot with us but was always willing to take a nap. After Jack arrived, Rusty doesn't play with us as much. He put BJ on a strict exercise schedule:

Chase

Search

Keep Away

Tug of War

Wrestling

Bitey Face

These are followed by nap time. If Rusty isn't feeling up to it, Dan T. Dog, our 4 year old mutt, fills in for a session. Jack Jack is growing tall and lean. He arrived at 9 weeks with a well-formed off switch anyways.

We don't do a lot of training - not in the 'do this' sense. My emphasis this last month has been getting Jack to understand that a correction is a correction, and not abuse. At first, a mild scolding was reason, to him, not to come when called. We started with 'come' after a scolding meaning one step in the right direction means loves and forgiveness. Jack is actually quite shy, but he's almost there. Last night, he decided to poop in the laundry room - after all, it was raining outside, and the laundry room isn't REALLY part of the house/den, is it? Well, I thought it was, so he got the 2 finger swat, a lecture, and casting into outer darkness for 5 minutes. But he waited near the back door, and when I opened it and called, he ran to me with tail wagging, eager to hear how we know what a good dog he really is.

I actually have a hard time identifying with most folks' experiences. Black Jack likes to sleep on our feet if one of us is using the computer. When we're in the living room, he's under the couch watching. He wrestles with the other dogs (16 pounds vs 75 / 40), begs for food, and NEVER runs on the furniture or acts crazy. Like our first BC 17 years ago, he's a relaxed, cheerful puppy. Maybe we just got lucky twice in a row - after all, if only 1 in 4 BC pups are like that, then 1/16 homes will get 2 in a row.

Best pals & workout partners:

Rusty_Jack2.jpg

Like our first BC 17 years ago, he's a relaxed, cheerful puppy. Maybe we just got lucky twice in a row - after all, if only 1 in 4 BC pups are like that, then 1/16 homes will get 2 in a row.

I don't speak math fluently but that makes sense. I'm sure as with any relationship, things are never all one sided. All 5 of my puppies were quite different in temperament, activity level and difficulty for me to manage. Of course, the five puppies represent at least 5 breeds ( though I had two Shelties, one puppy was a mix). I'm willing to bet our various approaches to puppy rearing has a lot to do with how our various puppies and later adult dogs behave.

I do think most of us who had devilish Border Collie puppies now have well-mannered, delightful companions. Exactly when they became so delightful varies. I've known delightful 8 week old puppies. Quinn however needed to hit 6 months before he became a true delight in the sense of no longer running me ragged during my "leisure" hours. :rolleyes: I like to think I had something to do with the wonderful dog he is today, but basically I'm just grateful. :D

Your pups are both very adorable, by the way.

...Your pups are both very adorable, by the way.

Thank you. I'm glad Jack has someone who can wear him out! I'm sure he sleeps well in part because 120 pounds of dogs are playing with him.

I've been reading a bit lately on how genetics affects human behavior. Given that the most important part of breeding Border Collies is the BEHAVIOR, I'm certain there is a genetic basis involved in how rambunctious a puppy is. Add to that presence/absence of older dogs / exercise opportunities / limits imposed by humans / time spent around puppies, etc, and you end up with a wide variety. Training deals with the outcome of all those variables.

Also, what drives each family nuts varies. My dogs pull on leashes, because I enjoy watching their enthusiasm. I'm sure some of my neighbors watch and think, "He needs to watch the Dog Whisperer and become the alpha!" But my dogs know I don't mind - in fact, I think they know I enjoy it. On the other hand, I'd go ballistic if my dogs raced across the couch. And yes, I think they understand that as well. After all, my Mom enjoyed it when she came home and her little Suzie jumped on her in greeting. Who was I to tell an old woman living by herself it was wrong?

I find age is making me LESS judgmental. When I was in my 20s, I knew all the answers. I'm not so certain at 50... :rolleyes: I'm confident, however, that most of the behavior on this thread will sort itself out if the owners wish.

BTW - before I married, we talked with a couple about their kids. "Our first boy was so well behaved! We just KNEW we were perfect parents! We pitied those who weren't as good...then our second son was born. And we learned humility..."

AH HA!!! No maniacal puppy tonight, no sirree!!! I had 2 sets of friends come over today so there were 3 adults, one 6-year old and a baby to sniff, kiss, listen to, love on, play with. As soon as everyone left, all 4 dogs went right to Sleepyville. LOL

Dexter has 3 siblings and I've noticed in the past week they take turns on baby duty. Mr. Darcy has the morning session in the yard. Ginger takes lunchtime when she can lay out in the sun and teach the little guy how to run around the yard with sticks. McKenzie's on duty in the evenings. It's all so organized - I love it! LOL

But still --- with (like someone above said) 170 lbs of dogs to play with his 15 lb self, there's still enough craziness left over for mommy. I think he has Starbucks running through his veins! :rolleyes:

Last night, he decided to poop in the laundry room - after all, it was raining outside, and the laundry room isn't REALLY part of the house/den, is it? Well, I thought it was, so he got the 2 finger swat, a lecture, and casting into outer darkness for 5 minutes.

Did you catch him in the act or within a couple of seconds? Unless you did, he probably doesn't know exactly why you were disciplining him. I don't know you, or your level of experience, so please forgive me if you already know this. :rolleyes:

Did you catch him in the act or within a couple of seconds? Unless you did, he probably doesn't know exactly why you were disciplining him. I don't know you, or your level of experience, so please forgive me if you already know this. :rolleyes:

I caught him coming out of the laundry room, that he had entered less than a minute before. I went to investigate because it was so unusual for him to go there. I generally reserve the 2-finger swat for 'you are doing it when I start yelling', but pooping is a pretty involved act. Going into the laundry room, where he never goes, means he's trying to leave the 'house' without going outside. I thought within a minute (and probably within 15") was probably close enough to convey that I DO think it is part of the house.

We have the upstairs guest bedrooms blocked off at the stairs for that reason. It is too much to expect a puppy to think of unused upstairs as 'den'.

I also believe in a '5 minute rule' for punishment. That was one of the few things I did right with my first dog, Chris. After 5 minutes, maybe less, 'come' means 'come to me you wonderful dog, we're still pals'. I find it takes 2-4 weeks for a puppy to fully figure that one out. Once they do, they sprint with enthusiasm towards you, eager for forgiveness. I enjoyed sitting with Jack in my lap, his tail moving at a million miles an hour, while we talked about what a fantastic dog he's going to become.

But you are completely right. Dogs live in the present, and finding a pile of poop left who knows when just means you have a pile to clean up, kill the smell and watch the puppy more closely. Any type of correction is received as angry abuse, and is counterproductive.

But still --- with (like someone above said) 170 lbs of dogs to play with his 15 lb self, there's still enough craziness left over for mommy. I think he has Starbucks running through his veins! :D

Dex is up to 15lbs now?

Looks like he's almost starting to catch up to Riley.

She was an 18.2lb monster at 11.5 weeks :rolleyes:

Dex is up to 15lbs now?

Looks like he's almost starting to catch up to Riley.

She was an 18.2lb monster at 11.5 weeks :rolleyes:

Yep! I swear he looks bigger every morning like he's growing overnight. LOL. Getting pretty leggy, too and can just about keep up with the big dogs running in the yard.