BC Boards

Dog's internal clock

Even if all the clocks in my house didn't work, I would know what time it is every morning at 8am and every evening at 5pm. It doesn't matter what has happened in the day or how long before he's had exercise, guarenteed every day at 5pm he starts to get restless for his supper. He also has to go pee every evening at 7pm and then he wants his treat ball. If it involves food, he knows what time it is. What about your dogs?

Even if all the clocks in my house didn't work, I would know what time it is every morning at 8am and every evening at 5pm. It doesn't matter what has happened in the day or how long before he's had exercise, guarenteed every day at 5pm he starts to get restless for his supper. He also has to go pee every evening at 7pm and then he wants his treat ball. If it involves food, he knows what time it is. What about your dogs?

My alarm clock is the most reliable know to mankind. Unfortunately, she has only one wake-up setting (4:30) and has no feature to adjust for weekends or holidays. Her nuzzles and kisses are much less brutal than the raucous noise emitted by the more conventional kind of alarm. She also knows that I know that if I don't respond in reasonable time, she has a wicked two paw kidney jab that no living person can slepp through.

She also knows that I know that if I don't respond in reasonable time, she has a wicked two paw kidney jab that no living person can slepp through.

LOL. Daisy does to, only the target is usually your face.

Daisy knows when it's breakfast time and supper time and she always takes her bathroom breaks at the same time everyday. BUT she is quite lazy and won't get out of bed on the week-ends until we do! Which is really quite nice of her!

LOL! Tiga won't jump on us. He'll start shuffling around the room and making noise. He'll sometimes start a little early, but on the weekends, if you tell him to go lay down that'll usually work once or twice until 8am. I can't really explain what he does but it does wake us up. If he really has to go out he will cry and then I'll get up right away but I think it's usually just because he knows it's feeding time.

My dog puts one front paw on my full a.m. bladder and the other on my full a.m. digestive system and just stands on me when he's ready to get up. It's really effective! :rolleyes:

It's true, though - if I'm off on vacation and take him on an unusal and tiring 5-mile morning walk, he'll get up from his bed shortly after 3:00 p.m. and sit next to me, looking expectantly for his routine afternoon walk.

Mary

Dogs are known to have unbelievable biological clocks.

Growing up, my chihuahua knew what time my dad got home from work, and every day was on the top of the couch looking out for him about 5 minutes before that time.

I just yesterday noticed when DH was about 10 minutes late getting home that the dogs were running back and forth from window to window looking for him. As time went on, they were getting more and more frantic, until he finally came home. Today he was on time, but almost right on the money, they were looking out the window when it was time for him to come home.

It's why when teaching obedience, we used to time the dogs in class 30 seconds to a minute longer than the sit or down stay actually took. Otherwise, the dogs learned the time frame and would get up too close to the end of it. In fact, the most intriguing thing I ever saw was a guy who's OTCH dog would be left on the out-of-sight sit/stay...and after he left, she would lay down. That's not unusual. What is unusual is that about 20 seconds before the end of the exercise, she would sit back up. He would come back to the ring thinking she had passed...only to find she had failed. This went on for numerous shows before he somehow got it straightened out. But that dog KNEW when to get up. I watched it with my own eyes. :rolleyes:

At exactly 5:30 every evening, Fergie (the BC) will start to sit up in her chair - very slightly. Maggie (the cat) will dash in from doG-knows-where and run up to Ferg. Ferg will then jump down, grab a toy, and start thrashing it around. Maggie will start yelling as if she's never ever eaten anything in her entire life.

This happens every evening. We can have just finished lunch. We can have company. There can be a dozen deer eating corn outside the den door.

And they know if we've had an egg for breakfast, too. Because that means they each get a third of a can of "wet" food. Then, instead of running for the laundry room, they circle the kitchen until we get the dishes ready.

I hate the time my alarm(s) have been set. 5:30 am no matter what. I can put them on snooze but every 15 minutes they come back to see if it's time!

Then I have the work's over whistle bell at 5pm. That consists of Jazz picking up a bowl and thowing it at me. If that doesn't work she carries it around dropping it here and there making a huge racket. It does the job of getting me up and out the door!

How did you train a 15 minute snooze? Senneca's is closer to 15 seconds.

Guess my screaming "leave me alone" is louder than you pushing your snooze button! Or just lucky! But that can't be or I could adjust the actual alarm time! :rolleyes:

the older girls kindly wait till I get up. they help me brush my teeth and make coffee. The young ones are dancing around till they get out the door then they want right back it. I make them wait outside till I get my first cup of coffee then we all go out and eat our breakfast on the porch, no matter how cold (thank doG I live in a warm or not so cold climate). The old girls are happy to lie around and wait for breakfast and even pottying.

Guess my screaming "leave me alone" is louder than you pushing your snooze button!

If I could manage to scream "leave me alone" that early in the morning, I'd probably wake myself up anyway. Yes, Senneca is under my feet when I brush my teeth. She also insists on helping my dry off when I step out of the shower by licking my legs and feet.

My alarm clock is the most reliable know to mankind. Unfortunately, she has only one wake-up setting (4:30) and has no feature to adjust for weekends or holidays. Her nuzzles and kisses are much less brutal than the raucous noise emitted by the more conventional kind of alarm.

Heh. Violet also has no weekend setting, but at least she doesn't go off until 5:30 am. Unfortunately, her idea of nuzzling involves sticking her long needle-like snout under the covers and then thrusting her head upwards with as much force as she can muster. She has a snooze function - sort of - she can be bought off by an invitation to hop into bed and snuggle. She's too hyper to just lie there and enjoy, though, and will soon start with the paw jabs. DH says instead of a Tickle-Me-Elmo we have a Tickle-Me-Mike-Tyson. :rolleyes:

What I'm getting from this thread is I guess you know it's bad when you wake up so early your collie just stays sleeping until 1/2 hour later. :rolleyes:

Odin knows exactly when the carpool comes and is watching for them every morning at 6 am. I don't even look at a clock, as I know if he's on the couch looking out, I have T-minus 5 minutes to get ready.

and will soon start with the paw jabs.

I swear I think Dew is petting me like I do her. I can tell her "no feet" and she restrains herself for a few minutes then she does it a bit softer but it gets stronger the more she does it. She also has a shiny hug that will knock your socks off! It's heck if her dew claws are a bit grown out. They seem to hook me in the neck. I always think people are looking at me with my tiny little Dew scratches, thinking I like rough sex! :rolleyes: or maybe was the loser in a fight!

I swear Scooter can tell time! We have a grandfather clock and it seems that when it goes off at 5:30 a.m., he's up and at the bedroom door, peeking in. He doesn't come in--he just lurks. Then at 1:00 p.m. he starts looking for DH to come home. I know he's home when Scooter plants his body in front of the door and waits. At 10 p.m., when the clock strikes 10, he heads up to bed. He also seems to know when it's a weekend, and enjoys sleeping in till around 7. Probably because DH isn't up at 6 a.m. Scooter loves to lounge around on weekends. His whole attitude is entirely different than on week days--much more laid back. :rolleyes::D

Because I work odd rotating shifts, we have deliberately discouraged the AM alarm clock. Dogs who make noise before mom is ready to get up get thrown out of the bedroom. They learn. And they let me sleep for the most part.

Now, 6pm is a different story altogether. Daylight savings time really screws them up, and we have to ease into it, because IT IS DINNERTIME. WHERE IS MY DINNER?? IT'S THAT TIME NOW... WHAT IS TAKING SO LONG???

Daylight savings time really screws them up, and we have to ease into it, because IT IS DINNERTIME. WHERE IS MY DINNER?? IT'S THAT TIME NOW... WHAT IS TAKING SO LONG???

Ha! You don't understand that it's you folks who are screwed up -- the dogs have it right. You can fool people to believe that the time has changes, but you can't fool the dogs! [Note: The smug people here in AZ don't mess with the clocks.]

When I just had Lok I was lucky--he would never bug me in the morning, no matter how late I slept! But now with my little foster Jun I don't have it so easy. She seemingly has a very small bladder and starts barking to go out usually at 5:30 am, but occasionally as early as 3:00 am! If I don't let her out NOW I will pay for it in the morning! However, she's learned that after she goes potty she goes right back into her crate to sleep until I decide it's time to get up. She usually won't let me sleep past seven on the weekends though--well, I could sleep past seven, but only if I get up every fifteen minutes to shake her kennel so she'll stop barking (she's deaf, so unfortunately I don't have the luxury of yelling shut up from the comfort of my bed). It's really just not worth it.

None of them have alarms for breakfast or dinner. They never eat at exactly the same time and usually they're more interested in going outside to play.

Riley (12 weeks) wakes us up every morning around 6:00

I let her run outside for her to do her business, and then she expects breakfast immediately. :rolleyes:

Barkley (our 2yr old Yorkie) sleeps right next to us and would stay in bed as long as we were in it.

If he really needed to go outside, he'd let us know... but he'll sleep right next to us for as long as he can.

Am I the only one with late risers? When I get up early, they prefer to be left alone for the time being. And if I take them out really early (for sunrise hikes/photo shoots etc) I get VERY doubtful looks, as in "I really hope you know what you're doing!".

I'd really like them to wake me up actually! I have to change the alarm sound on my cell phone every so often, because I learn to sleep through it every time. But then again, I was taking a little nap this evening, and I sort of knew that someone had dropped a football on me and hit me on the head with a paw, and it didn't bother me either. Walking over me is okay too...it just means the dogs are around, and that's a fine place to go on sleeping! :rolleyes:

I have one really early riser and it's not me. It's Celt. He's been a 5 am dog since I got him at seven weeks of age.

He gets up and comes around to my side of the bed. He stares into my face and, if he can't detect signs of impending life, he gently reaches out with his nose and touches my eye. If my eye is open and he contacts my eyeball, he knows I am awake, and he's overjoyed. If he touches my eyelid, that will wake me up, and he's overjoyed. He is a very joyous dog in the early morning.

He is also expert at detecting signs of impending consciousness - he can tell the difference between sleeping and waking breathing rates, and know that a person that is tooting is awake, not asleep. No matter how hard I try to keep quiet and keep my breathing slow, he knows. Maybe he's detecting my heartbeat.

Since waking up is his favorite time of day, other than working cattle or playing ball, he is always eager to see the day begin. The change to standard time from daylight savings time in the fall is particularly frustrating for me - a dog that just loves to have you awake with him at what is now 4 am means I'd better get to sleep on time at night if I want a full night's sleep.

And I am really a morning person and need to be up early, I do really appreciate his early morning ministrations - most of the time. The other two dogs couldn't care less - Megan especially likes her beauty sleep. Of course, once I've pottied them all, they all head back to bed and I am left wide awake!

I wake up at 4:15am M-F with my alarm clock. I try to snooze it but I eventually get a cold nose on what ever part of my body is not protected by blanket - be it face, leg, hand, back. If I mumble "go to bed" Daisy will wander back to the crate for a few obligatory minutes but she always comes back for a second or third attempt at rousing me.

Daisy also has no setting for a different weekend schedule. I am usually out walking by 5am on Saturdays and Sundays. :rolleyes:

Cody, our border collie is a 5:30 am boy. Thank goodness he wakes my husband up. I want my husband to ignore him - hoping he will reset his time - my husband ( who is wonderful) says it just takes him 20 min to let the dog out and feed him. As I snore on......