BC Boards

Leaving my dog? Oy!

My principal has apparently gotten a grant that would allow me to attend an Earthwatch expedition before the end of this school year. (For those who don't know, Earthwatch enlists volunteers who pay to do "working vacations" on science expeditions the world over.) This would pay my travel and all expenses - I think I have a choice of four different expeditions, one of which is to the near arctic, which I would love.

So there's the problem of what to do with my dog! He's reactive and shuts down in kennel situations. Not good with other dogs.

I think I could talk my elderly parents into keeping Buddy for a week, and get my siblings to agree not to randomly show up with their dogs or loud teenagers without giving my parents a heads-up. (Buddy loves my parents.) I suppose I could introduce him to a dog-walker now, get him to love her, and then have her go walk him once a day while I was gone.

I just really hadn't planned on letting the first time I left Buddy be a really long time period. I have horrible thoughts of him getting away from my parents, trying to find his way to my house, getting hit by a car, etc.. ::Sigh::

This is silly, I know. But it's how I feel. How do parents ever manage to leave their kids with babysitters and nannies!?

Mary

I'm jealous! Not of the near arctic part, but just the idea of doing that sort of scientific 'volunteer vacation.'

Get started with Buddy NOW. Send him to stay with your folks overnight, then for a couple nights. Get him introduced to a dog walker now. Even if the dog walker just comes and plays fetch with Buddy, or takes him to McDonald's, it would give your parents a break.

Let us know where you'll be going. Tiny sigh.

Ruth

Hire one of the vet techs at your vets office (if there is one) that can live at your house while you are away and take care of Buddy!

I did this before with my old cocker and it worked very well. She didn't stay at our house but came and let him out during the day. When my old cat was still alive and having daily fluids, a tech came and helped hubby give them when I was out of town. What I like about the techs is that they are so knowledgeable and you don't have to cover every little detail about dog behavior, etc.

As far as leaving my kids....well, I wasn't very good at that.

A couple of years ago I went away for 9 months for work. I was home only once during that period for Christmas for a couple of weeks. My SO stayed home and so I knew he was fine, but I worried and felt guilty about leaving both of them. It all worked out fine but I understand what you're going through. I wish you both all the best. I'm sure whatever you decide Buddy will do just fine and the best part will be the moment he sees you again.

How "elderly" are your parents? Are they capable of taking care of a dog like Buddy?

Not knowing all the details, I would venture to say that the best remedy might be to have someone either come live at your house or have someone responsible come to your home 3-4 times a day to let him out, play with him, and take care of him. I think you would also be more comfortable with that from a distance; you would worry less. And I think it would be less stressful for him.

I have been in that situation and it works out perfectly. Whoever suggested the vet tech...an excellent idea. I have a former vet tech who has done this for my dogs for years. It gives me such confidence and comfort to know they are in the hands of a good "dog" person who can handle any kind of situation.

I have elderly parents, and I know that if I left my dogs with them I would worry not only about my dogs but also about my parents. It would be double the stress.

I also agree you should start now with a person so your dog will get used to that person...and then go and enjoy yourself! :rolleyes:

ETA: Another benefit of having someone come to your home while you are away is that they bring in the mail, turn on lights, check the house, and make it appear that someone is living there.

Thanks for the ideas!

My parents are 80 and 84 - still very active, but not enough to walk Buddy the way he needs to be walked. When he's at their house, he mostly lies on the old couch, according to them, rising only when the fridge opens. This is fine for a day - but not for 13 days, which is what it looks like this trip would be. Hence my thought to get a dog-walker to go there for real exercise purposes.

I'd love to have live-in home care, but not sure I can afford it. I wouldn't take a trip like this on my own dime at this point in time (need: new car, new deck, new doors and trim boards on my house) - I'm only considering it because it's a grant. Anything that pushes it into costing me hundreds is going to squelch it. Not sure how much the dog walker would charge.

Originally, I thought my principal meant a 5-day summer trip. It's starting to look like she's talking about a much longer one - two weeks, maybe, and SOON, like February. Not sure I'd want to take that long a trip in the middle of the school year with or without my dog issues. Gotta consider. (Near arctic in June sounds great. Near arctic in February? Been there, done that.)

Mary

(Near arctic in June sounds great. Near arctic in February? Been there, done that.)

Mary

Sending someone to the arctic in February, even in the interest of science and education, is just not right!

Is there a good training center near you? If so, you could contact the owner and see if the owner can give a personal reference for an in-home dog sitter who is qualified to stay with a reactive dog. It's a bit of a long shot, but it could bear fruit.

As far as an in-home pet sitter, check around. Rates will vary.

Mary, what a wonderful, albeit cold, opportunity! It would be hard to say no.

I hear you about being worried what to do with Buddy. I am already stressing out over what to do with Sky when we want to take a trip this summer (she can't come). She is so scared of other people, getting her used to walking with someone outside the family would take forever. She doesn't eat when she is afraid. I can't even think about it. I will have to put her in a kennel. I hope having other dogs there would maybe help her adjust better.

As far as kids and leaving them with a sitter? Well, you don't! :) Not until they are 18. That's why they invented VCRs and DVD players and take out food.

Of course I am joking about the "18". But we didn't go anywhere without our daughter for years, unless Grandma or another relative could babysit. We had a lot of dates at kid's movies, hahahaha.

:)))

Sending someone to the arctic in February, even in the interest of science and education, is just not right!

Having spent four years at 70 degrees North, I'm inclined to disagree. It's a wonderful experience (well, OK, minus the snow shoveling). If you travel, is there no way you could take your dog with you?

It may be hard to take your dog if you will be involved with someone's research gathering data. Depending where you were, sensitive wildlife could be negatively affected. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask.

I have no reaL advice but I feel for you. I left Odin with the in-laws for a week over the new year and it was very tough for me. I think WAY less so for him. But he had another dog and 3 active people and acres to run around in. Everyone doted on him and worked on the conditioning routine. He even conned his way into my mother-in-law's bed. Being a city dog, it was like sending him to puppy camp. It was hard enough knowing he was there, and I can see why you want to find the best solution possible for Buddy - 'cause trust me, you'll miss him anyway. :rolleyes: Good luck!

I ALWAYS feel sad when leaving my dogs. I worry constantly and wonder whether they are thinking we are never coming back. I just can't bear it, so I don't go away very often. When I do, I have found a great lady who boards out of her home. She lives on 5 acres, so theres plenty of room for Lacee to play. And Lacee gets free roam of the house and even gets to sleep under the bed like she does here. They have three border collies of their own, which Lacee loves! Since she lives so far from me (about 1 1/2 hrs., she does drop off and delivery). It's wonderful.

Of course, after losing Katie two years ago, I think Lacee might need another sister. But I'm not sure I can handle another one, living in a townhouse with no yard. I worry Lacee is lonely, but that's probably me putting human emotions into her.