BC Boards

Going away

We're going on a vacation south on Friday and Tiga is staying between home with our roommate and at a friends house. He's stayed with her before and she'll be his main caretaker, but they have opposite schdules so in order to stay closest to his schedule they'll be sharing duties. He has never been away from both of us for longer then 2 nights since we've had him. The last time we left him it was for 2 nights and when we got back he cried and cried and cried so bad from excitement. So much so that I had to ask if he'd been ok while we were gone, if he'd been distressed. He hadn't been. I've been away for longer periods of time for work (up to 5 months without coming home at all) but never both of us for this long. We're going for 8 nights all together. I'm worried he'll think we're not coming back. I'm worried about him. I'm more prepared for him then for us. I've cooked up liver, cut it up and frozen it for treats, I've frozen little pumpkin freezies as treats, I've made baggies for each of his meals and written what day and time each one is. I've written up "A Day in the Life of Tiga" for both of them. My roommate basically needs to be spoon fed and the other friend works odd hours and I just want it to be simple and stress free for everyone. Am I over-reacting? Probably, but I'm worried. I wish he could come with us but if he did we probably wouldn't come back. Other then that I'm so excited! It's been sooooo cold and snowy. I'm looking forward to the sun!

We're going on a vacation south on Friday and Tiga is staying between home with our roommate and at a friends house. He's stayed with her before and she'll be his main caretaker, but they have opposite schdules so in order to stay closest to his schedule they'll be sharing duties. He has never been away from both of us for longer then 2 nights since we've had him. The last time we left him it was for 2 nights and when we got back he cried and cried and cried so bad from excitement. So much so that I had to ask if he'd been ok while we were gone, if he'd been distressed. He hadn't been. I've been away for longer periods of time for work (up to 5 months without coming home at all) but never both of us for this long. We're going for 8 nights all together. I'm worried he'll think we're not coming back. I'm worried about him. I'm more prepared for him then for us. I've cooked up liver, cut it up and frozen it for treats, I've frozen little pumpkin freezies as treats, I've made baggies for each of his meals and written what day and time each one is. I've written up "A Day in the Life of Tiga" for both of them. My roommate basically needs to be spoon fed and the other friend works odd hours and I just want it to be simple and stress free for everyone. Am I over-reacting? Probably, but I'm worried. I wish he could come with us but if he did we probably wouldn't come back. Other then that I'm so excited! It's been sooooo cold and snowy. I'm looking forward to the sun!

I know how you feel about leaving your dogs. It makes it hard to go on vacations when we love our dogs like that.At least you have friends you can trust to look out for him.That is alot better situation then a kennel. It will bother you more than him,he will probally enjoy all the extra attention he will get going between the two places hes staying.Going away myself in July and already feeling guilty but you have to get out once in awhile.

My logical self knows he'll be ok. We're lucky to have people that love him like their own, and it IS better then a kennel. I'll still worry about him though. I'm going to try to remember to video his reacation when we get home. I'm sure it will be comical. lol.

who better to answer this than a person with a (now private) boarding kennel! :D

Dogs are the MOST adaptable creatures I've ever seen. Think of the strays and shelter dogs that gain new homes, have name changes, and blend right in.

Probably YOU will experience the most stress of this situation! Even I feel guilty when I go away...and my dogs are here at home with someone who comes in to take care of the kennel and house!

I have a dog that I am getting Friday who comes here every year from January through April while his owners go to Florida. He loves coming (seriously, he does)...and he loves going back home.

So try not to fret too much. As long as you have trustworthy caretakers, he will be fine. He will miss you, (as you will miss him), but things will go right back to normal when you get back.

and...I'm so jealous! I'm sick of snow, ice, and cold! :rolleyes: