BC Boards

Thoughtful dog?

Kinnda gross..

Came home today at 5 PM and Ouzo looked mighty guilty and greeted me with so much enthusiasm, that I immediatly asked him if he'd pooped in the house.

He has a very sensitive stomach, and while he's very good at letting us know when he REALLY needs to go outside, be that in the middle of the night or any other time, the unspeakable has been known to happen if he's home alone for a long time and it coincides with a stomach ailment. It always has its origins in food, sometimes it's easy to figure out why, but there's always an explanation. And this could happen 4 times a year, maybe? And only in case of bad, horrible emergency.

So I start looking to see if he had done the deed again, praying he didn't. Couldn't find anything in front of the balcony door or the fire place, his prefered areas for emergency exits. I saw him glancing at the bathroom, then quickly look away. Aha! So I go in the bathroom, and I start laughing - he had stepped in the bathtub and went there. And boy, went he did :D I was laughing until the smell hit me. But that's another story.

I don't know if it was intentional, out of disperation or how did he pick the bathtub, but I was so thankful this did not happen on the carpet.

P.S. It was Chris' bath, not mine :rolleyes::D :D

I've got a BC who is MORTIFIED to mess in the house. He vomits into the toilet or bathtub. He also exploded in the bathtub once. This dog would do anything for me, and I do mean anything. I've never had a dog with such an amazing work ethic before or since.

Oh my gosh! Anda that is so funny. Ouzo would have probably not been so enthusiastic if he'd pooped elsewhere; I think he knew he'd made the best of a bad situation :rolleyes:

Seems like my dog is the only one who doesn't help out with the house-cleaning. Skye's preferred emergency pooping place is on the carpet in my study. However, a recent vomiting incident had a 'happy' conclusion on the tiled kitchen floor :D

Ailsa

I believe it. My Pom, Harley, would only vomit on tile or linoleum. I believe I accidentally taught her to do this by catching her heaving once or twice and taking her into the kitchen to puke there.

Solo thinks going in the house is disgusting, but he is unsteady on slick surfaces (therefore no bathrooms and certainly not the bathtub, which he hates) and tends to go near whatever exit we would take if I were there to take him outside.

• 1 month later...

Update. It wasn't a coincidence. My dog is actually using his brain. And Chris' bathtub for a toilet in case of emergency :D It just happened again today. This time I will wait for Chris to clean it. :rolleyes:

This is the first time he's gone in the house since the last incident. And it happened again in the same place. How considerate of him :D As soon as I got in the apartment (carrying a brand new 30lb bag of Taste of the Wild just for him), he greeted me enthusiastically. And then sat down as I was locking the door, and he was shaking (with guilt, as I soon found out). Hmmm.... He actually had access to the balcony as well, since he was looking at me as I parked.

This morning he refused to poop during our walk, and yesterday he showed signs that he might have some stomach problems. I had to go to work, so I asked Chris to take him outside one more time before he leaves - by the look of his bathtub right now, I don't think he did :D

Some years ago, my two older male dogs were left home while I was on a road trip, and the neighbor who was supposed to let them out first thing in the morning didn't. She had a cold, and "didn't feel well," so waited till her boyfriend got there at like 3 in the afternoon to have him let them out. This was after having dinner at probably 6 the night before. Anyway, as soon as I walked in the door, I smelled it, but couldn't find it. Till I got to the bathroom. Apparently, they had BOTH gone in the tub, more than once. I was amazed.

A

too funny! I remeber when Electra was a puppy, she was soo considerite..well kinda... the places WERE easy to clean but she had a tendancy to choose food dishes lol, once while in her crate there was still the travel dish hooked inside..she threw up into the dish. or sometimes we would find that she couldnt hold her pee, found someones nice stainless steel food dish and sit on it to take a pee :rolleyes: kinda gross, but hey its stainless steel, all I had to do was pick up the dish and wash it lol. or Rusty has a habit...sometimes rather then ask to go outside, he simpley walks into the bathroom and takes a poop and pee beside the toilet..I usually laugh, I mean hey he's got the right idea, he is just to little to actually reach the potty!

OMG! They are some awesome stories! Some really great dogs! Mine isn't so nice yet..I can hope..we have hard wood floors through out our house so she would just go..And she would seem mortified if she would have an accident. She also would seem a little embarrased if she didn't have a clean butt when she came in the house and I had to clean her..Mind you she's only 6 months yet.

My boy's considerate, but in the wrong way. He goes to the back bedroom, which neither he nor I ever use. It's kind of a junk/storage area at this point. So, he's being thoughtful in not messing any space we might actually be IN... but he's also putting it where I'm unlikely to find it for a day or so, if the smell doesn't knock me over.

Mary

Both of mine give it some thought. The bathroom has been used, the kitchen too (very good - avoiding the carpet!). Since they usually get exactly the same food, I can't always tell who it was, but it's usually poor Kyla who gets a wonky tummy. It happens rarely enough, but when it does it usually happens more than once.

Kyla's one not-so-great choice is the space under the computer table where all the cables are. True enough, no one ever goes down there, but very few things are nastier to clean than a huge messy mess of cables.

Someone (<- and that someone is a pig) has also used Kessie's eating corner for a toilet repeatedly. I've thrown away two mats, and now she has to eat on a slick plastic floor cover that she hates, but that's really nice to clean.

Inconsiderate dogs here, LOL!

I don't really have any problems with mine going to the bathroom in the house, but we do get the occasional puker. Skittles is usually the one that pukes. He tends to avoid tiled floors and searches out carpet or beds. Occasionally, we will be jolted awake at night at the sound of a dog retching. Usually, we will both bolt out of bed and try to find the dog so that we can hustle them out of the bedroom onto the tile in the hallway. With Skittles, you have to make sure and hold him on the tile or he will just go across the hallway into one of the other bedrooms and puke. He's always such a little trouble-maker. :rolleyes:

I wish my dogs were so considerate.

Now my mom had a rottweiler that had a sense of humor. He rarely ever had an accident in the house unless it was an emergency. My mom gets home from work and Stormy is hiding under the computer desk. He never went there so my mom knew something was wrong. She went upstairs and Stormy had pooped on the carpet. The best part was he tried to make it look pretty. My mom had some potted flowers and plants in the house so he went over to the smallest one he could find and put it in the middle of the pile.

My mom was pissed but at the same time she laughed her butt off. She could not get upset with Stormy.

Inconsiderate dogs here, LOL!

I don't really have any problems with mine going to the bathroom in the house, but we do get the occasional puker. Skittles is usually the one that pukes. He tends to avoid tiled floors and searches out carpet or beds. Occasionally, we will be jolted awake at night at the sound of a dog retching. Usually, we will both bolt out of bed and try to find the dog so that we can hustle them out of the bedroom onto the tile in the hallway. With Skittles, you have to make sure and hold him on the tile or he will just go across the hallway into one of the other bedrooms and puke. He's always such a little trouble-maker. :rolleyes:

One of the our cats is like that. It is bad enough having to clean it up off of tile, but when they search out beds... :D

My boy is like others in that he is mortified if he goes in the house. However, he was sick last year, and had awful diarrhea. Explosive diarrhea. Hubby and I were both working full time at basically the same hours, so he was alone for about 8 hours a day. Poor, poor guy, he felt so terrible for a while there.

Just a warning, this is about to get tmi. :D Anyway, I think the 'accident' would take him by surprise, because we would find where he had started going in the kitchen or living room or wherever and run (still going, darn explosive diarrhea) to the back door where most of it would be concentrated. I felt bad not being there to open the door for him.

My Lu, who despite having a zillion food allergies rarely ever gets sick, has the amazing ability to both puke and poop through the bars of her crate. I came home once to find the floor (and phone books... eww) behind her crate splattered in poop, but not a drop was IN the crate.

Now Nick... if anyone remembers, I went through several months of him having explosive diarrhea several times a week. He just poops wherever he is, and usually manages to walk through it. He hasn't exploded (out the back end, at least) since I figured out ANY fish products upset his belly.