BC Boards

Why conserve a rare breed?

juliepoudrier

The ones you are calling Boer crosses I would call Togg or Alpine crosses (hard to tell from this angle, without seeing more of the body). I am really bad at discerning hair sheep of some varieties from goats without a good, close look.

Well, you can't see the animal behind the apparent katahdin at the front, but in the back there are at least three goats, and I'd guess that the two white critters with the funny ears that are on the same side as the goats might be goats too. So that would make five goats, not counting the hidden animal, and seven sheep. Or if the white ones with the odd ears are sheep, then three goats and nine sheep. And one mystery beast. Best guess(es).

Now if we could have a rear view of the group, the guesses would be more accurate for the questionable ones.

J.

There are 5 goats and 9 sheep in this picture. Julie got it right! However the breed/breeds. The goats are the two back right and the three right middle. The two brown head does are boer/Alpine X The two white ones are Alpine/Angora X wethers and the wether in the middle is Alpine/Boer/Angora. All were fairly worthless except the two does who did get paid to be in a movie once. Their Mother was in a movie also. That is their only claim to fame and they were sold at auction years ago. The others are a mish mash of Barb/St Croix and Katahdin. The St Croix X were complete nutcases. The wether in the middle by the goat was a complete idiot and taught everyone how to push up the fence and escape. You can just barely see the legs of a tiny ewe in the front. She never grew much as she aged. Anyway it was a motley crew but they taught my dogs a thing or two. You can also see no matter how long they were together the goats segregated themselves from the sheep.