BC Boards

Who is hoping/planning on competing at 2009 Finals?

Sue R

This year, those who sponsor and get their money in prior to March (I don't have the exact date here) can pick who they want to sponsor if that person/dog team has not already been chosen. I think it would be great if folks from here would like to sponsor teams that include people who participate on these boards but we can't do that if we don't know who is hoping/planning to compete at Finals.

Last year, a bunch of us here were able to provide four sponsorships. Herbert Holmes, the USBCHA President, was able to match those sponsorships with four more.

I know it's early (last year, we didn't do this until the last minute) and the economic situation is dicey for many, but I am hoping that there are people here who can and will chip in to support teams that have worked hard to deserve to compete in this showcase of the working Border Collie. With each sponsorship at $125, it only takes five people who can commit $25 each to raise a sponsorship.

Please post if you are hoping or planning to compete so that we can have the opportunity to sponsor active members of these boards. You may already have family, friends, or associates who plan on sponsoring you but it would still be nice to know who on the boards is planning to compete.

Please reply here or email me at susan.rayburn@gmail.com if you would like to help sponsor. We had a great bunch of folks who chipped in last year, and I hope to hear from some of them and some new contributors this year.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be going with two dogs in open and one in nursery...

to the Cattle Finals in May :rolleyes:

A

Well, so I will gladly open this up to sponsoring folks at the cattledog Finals in May. I'll make the first commitment to a sponsorship donation - who would like to join me in getting at least one sponsorship for Anna (who is always helpful and supportive to all of us here on the boards)?

Geez--I throw an offhand kinda sarcastic remark out there, and y'all are absolutely great. What exactly does a sponsorship do (being out of the loop for the sheep finals-I have no idea what a sponsorship does or how it works)? I'll be running both Riddle and Tikkle in Open, and Tik in Nursery also. So, you guys tell me...take yer pick. There's the momma dog, who's been through a lot, who's a real trooper, and then there's the daughter--not as experienced, but a bit pushier...

A

As far as I understand, a sponsorship does the competitor absolutely nothing other than to lend moral support. The money goes to the Finals. I think it is symbolic to be able to sponsor someone you choose, a relative, a friend, a special dog, or an admired handler.

At some Finals, the sponsor of the winner gets part of a "pot" (that was the case at the 2008 National Sheepdog Finals) but as far as I am concerned, it should be just a way to support the dogs by supporting good handlers at the Finals.

I guess I'm leaning towards Riddle for this year. Tikkle will have another chance next go round. How do you all feel? Let's try to drum up two more contributors at least, and give Anna and Tikkle (or Riddle, if anyone has a preference) our support.

You guys are too cool! And the Cattle Finals can really use a boost. From the discussions at last year's Finals, the entire program is in somewhat dubious condition. Most support, and of course, entries and trials come from the Sheep side of the world. So if y'all can get some enthusiasm up for us poor cattle folk, that's really a truly wonderful thing! After all, it is the US Border Collie Handlers' Assoc.--the HA doesn't specify what stock we work--only that we work stock with our BCs. Thanks everyone for your support!!

A

Hey no problem!

I qualified to go to the cattle finals in open/nursery with one of my dogs. I would like to do it but it's a long drive and a lot of days off work, not to mention entry fee, gas, food. :rolleyes:

I'm plugging along trying to get more subscriptions and ads for the magazine. If I can get enough it won't hurt as much not being at the farm a whole week. Entries are due Feb 1st!

Nicole - Are you offering for a cattledog sponsorship or sheepdog sponsorship?

Ladies - Right now, we have one full sheepdog sponsorship and 60% of a cattledog sponsorship, with Nicole offering to match a sponsorship for whichever she intends. Also, Anet is hoping to get an NC group to offer another sheepdog sponsorship. So, if Anet fills hers and we get that cattledog one filled, with Nicole matching, we will have four already.

Ask your friends and Border Collie (and other working stockdog) acquaintances if they'd like to chip in. We can make a difference!

My email is susan.rayburn@gmail. com and my mailing address is Rt 1 Box A39, Bruceton Mills WV 26525 for anyone who needs to contact me or mail a check. You can make the check out to me or to the National Finals committee (for cattledog sponsors) or Klamath Basin Stockdog Assn (for sheepdog sponsors). It is easiest for me if you make the check out to me but if that makes you uncomfortable, just make it out to the organization in charge.

Let's do it, ladies! (And last year, we even had a gentleman contribute - how about you guys? You don't want the women to show you up again, do you? How about a little friendly compeition, with the dogs to benefit?)