BC Boards

Fergie: stroke or what?

nancy

:rolleyes:

When we got up at 7 this morning, Fergie got up with us.

But, when I went into the hall, she followed me. And sort of slipped around. She couldn't seem to keep one or both (we couldn't tell) back legs really under her. She got confused and upset and tried to walk in sort of circles. I had to carry her down stairs and out front. She pooped and peed - the acted as if she wanted to go on one of our walks. But she couldn't get her back end under control.

I carried her back in and put her in her chair. Chuck hurt his back yesterday, so he couldn't do the carrying - he's not lazy. Then I had to go to church, leaving Chuck with her. She couldn't get comfortable and was shaking - her eyebrows twitching a little. She was clearly frightened because she knew something was wrong and didn't know what.

When I got back, she was walking around the downstairs, gingerly. She had vomited a bit of that whitish stuff that usually comes with grass shortly after I left. But she was find by then. I go to the early service so am gone less than 90 minutes.

She sat by the table at breakfast. The only problem was when she heard me scrape bottom in the peanut butter jar. She jumped up and tried to rush over to get the jar. And slipped again. But I stopped her and made her go slow. Then she was fine to clean the jar and walk around the house.

She's now gotten herself up in her chair - major improvement - and is resting comfortably.

We will definitely take her to the vet tomorrow. We considered calling the emergency vet, but I'd rather take her to the folks she knows and likes. We are open to advice.

We don't know if this was a stroke, if something is wrong with either her hips or one leg, or if she just slept wrong and one leg was sort of asleep and made her slip and then get scared. We're hoping for the best, especially as she seems so much better now.

I hope she will be okay. The dog we had when I was growing up was Lady (original, no?). My Mom came home from work one afternoon to find Lady on the floor near my Mom's bed and unable to rise. Her hind end seemed paralyzed. We took her to the vet as soon as possible, my Dad lifted her on the table, and the vet ran his hands down her spine. Bingo! She stood up and walked.

She apparently had jumped off the bed and twisted her back somehow, and a disc had slipped, pinching the spinal nerve. Perhaps it is something as simple (and easily fixed) as this that is Fergie's problem. However, I would suggest having it seen as soon as possible to avoid any potential lingering damage if it is disc-related.

Lady never experienced that problem again, thank goodness and our good vet! Best wishes!

The fact she can use her legs if she goes slow, and that she's getting better, is good news. I doubt it was a stroke. I'd think, given her age, it's more likely some kind of disc/spinal chord or nerve problem. As long as she doesn't go off her feet entirely, I think you're ok waiting till tomorrow. In fact, if your emergency vet is anything like the one in Myrtle Beach, you're definitely better off waiting for her regular vet. Keep us posted.

Something generally similar happened to Minnie once and it was diagnosed (via radiographs) as a spinal disc problem. She did recover from that completely with steroids and rest. I hope it's nothing serious for Fergie. Maybe start giving her some anti-inflammatory meds to see if she improves.

I just got in from walking her around our yard - an acre of woods with a little rise. Got her settled in her chair and came upstairs. We're stripping the wallpaper in our bathroom. And here she is with us! Up a flight of stairs.

She's definitely going to see Bruce or Cindy (our vets) tomorrow. But things look a lot better than they did at 7 AM.

Our other dog had a massive stroke at breakfast - at 15 - about 25 years ago. Chuck had to take her to the vet - and let her go. There were too many other problems and the stroke was massive. So he's been in panic mode until now.

nancy, my vet warned me in no uncertain terms that Minnie was not to go up or down any stairs, or climb up or down on any furniture, and only be taken out while on lead to avoid activity while she was recuperating. I believe this was for at least two weeks. You may want to consider restricting Fergie until you know what the problem is.

I am wonering if it may be "old dog" Vestibulat Disease? My almost 14 year old BC, Maggie, had this last November. It sounds like the identical symptoms. The vet gave her non drowsy "seasick" pills that I gave her two or three times a day for 2 weeks and that was it for that episode, they say that it most likely will not happen again to her. I hope your dog is OK, please let us know

I spelled Vestibular incorrectly, sorry. Maggies symptoms were: she could not walk without splatting , she was very disoriented and tilted her head and body to the right. I could have sworn that she had had a stroke, thank goodness it wasn't. The cause for Maggie was her middle ear, the little hairs or something to that effect. She has been perfect since.

It sounds a lot like vestibular to me too. Fergie is 13, right? That would fit. Walking in circles is definitely symptomatic. Did her eyeballs sort of jiggle or tremble? That's also typical.

Vestibular is way less scary than a stroke. It usually takes a couple of weeks or so for the dog to get used to it and make adjustments so she can walk okay. Often there's some residual unsteadiness in gait, and sometimes it does recur later but more often it doesn't.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Not her eyeballs, but that bit just above them jiggled. I'll ask the vet about vestibular problems tomorrow.

Thank you all so much!

Fergie and I went out for what I thought would be a walk down our driveway and back. She wanted to go up the hill, down the side street, down to the pond (to Poop) and then back. Not a single problem on the whole walk.

It could have been an ouchie back problem, a teeny stroke, or a vestibular problem. The good news is that none of these are fatal and all are treated pretty much the same (steroids and rest). Just be sure that you get the vet to take x-rays tomorrow even if he or she is sure what it is.

Smoochies from us here!

My old girl had a stroke in November and showed similar symptoms as Fergie - extreme weakness in rear, unable to get up on her own, facial twitching, disorientation, etc. Most of the symptoms except for weakness in one back leg went away within 24 hrs; within a month, the leg weakness had resolved as well. She's old and falls easily when bumped by the other dogs but otherwise gets around just fine. We did add Cosequin to her meds and it seemed to ease her up/downs (which had been difficult before the stroke). So not all strokes are necessarily fatal or permanently disabling.

The main thing is if Fergie is not in pain, give it some time to see what type of recovery she can make.

I posted about Sara under "Thanks but I'm not ready for the Bridge yet."

When Fergie and I went out this morning, she trotted down to the pond. Then spotted a squirrel and ran across the field. Then pranced the rest of the way. As if nothing had happened.

Called the vet this morning. He thinks that she must have slept wrong on her arthritic back leg. So it was "asleep" and weak when she got up. When it sort of "gave" on her, she got scared. SO that and the residual soreness were the problem all morning. The fact that she recovered so quickly and was her old self this morning made him rule out stroke or vestibular disease.

He said to up the glucosamine and keep an eye on her. If she shows any more problems, I can bring her right in. ANd we're going to buy her a heated bed.

Thanks for all your help. I really trust his vet practice, so I'll just watch Fergie.

Coming in late on this Nancy, but I just wanted to say how glad I am to hear that Fergie seems to be doing well. Fergie is one of those dogs that I feel I've 'known' for a long time, so I do wish you all well. (You might have to watch that Chuck with his bad back doesn't take over Fergie's heated bed when she gets it :rolleyes: .)

Fergie's not too sure about her new bed. Couldn't find a heated on, so I got a big pad with that top that looks like sheepskin. And I got a special pet heating pad.

She refused to get on the bed with the heating pad in it. So I took that out. She tried to sort of lie next to the bed, but she didn't git. By morning, she was actually on the bed, but taking up only as much space as she had on her pillow.

But I'll keep working at it. The heat will do her good.

And, yes, we've been wondering about using her pad for us.

I have been thinking about Fergie since yesterday. I am glad she seems to be back to normal. I know how she feels. Sometimes when I get up in the morning my legs don't want to work and neither do I. I saw a dog once working sheep. He was doing a great job and all of a sudden his back legs went out from under him and he went down. We ran out and the owner picked up the dog and brought him back to his truck and put him in the back. It appeared the dog could not stand so he headed out for the Vet. By the time he got to the Vet the dog was walking again. The Vet found no reason and thought it may be a pinched nerve. The dog went back to work and I don't think he ever had the problem again.