BC Boards

How would you handle this?

Some one in the area is trying to rehome a BC...and this is the description that was given:

"I work for petsmart and a lady that has been bringing her dog max to daycamp is now looking for a home for him. He is around 2 and usually very sweet...but..he has some quirks. When put into a kennel he becomes very aggressive..until you open the door..then hes fine. He is also toy aggressive...bad. I love this dog...He has been showing signs of wanting to be better. He has been thru obediance class and passed with flying colors. The ladys husband is very sick and max is more than they can handle."

I've a friend who is interested, but doesn't know where to start on teaching him good behaviors to counter these 'quirks'. So what would you guys do?

Do they have his food in the crate?~ If so maybe move it out. Is it when going into the crate?~ if do they give treats for going into crate. Tuck hated the crate with a passion till he discovered this was the only place he was getting his beloved cheetos. Then he loved his crate. As could be due to the amount of time he stays in the crate.

As for toy aggression, Trade up.

If husband is sick, he is probably getting less people time and more time it the crate possibly alone with the toys. More human time with interaction my just be the ticket for him. But this is only my opinion no real experience with toy aggression just what I've read here.

Originally posted by SincereArtisan:

I've a friend who is interested, but doesn't know where to start on teaching him good behaviors to counter these 'quirks'. So what would you guys do?

Without seeing the dog, it's really hard to say but those "quirks" are potentially very dangerous. If your friend feels at a loss about training this dog, is he or she willing to work with a good behavioralist and do a lot of research? Books that pop to mind are Fiesty Fido, Click to Calm, Bringing Light to Shadow. This dog will most likely require a large amount of work and committment by your friend. Not everyone can successfully work with an aggressive dog, if that's what this dog is.

It could be this dog just needs some decent leadership and the quirks are nothing more than that. The biggest red flag for me is that your friend doesn't sound very experienced. I don't think BC's in general are good for most beginner or casual dog owners. A BC with issues might really be over this person's head.

Again... those are just my thoughts without knowing your friend and knowing very little about the dog.

No, my friend is not experienced with BCs....but, the couple who own the dog are on the brink of turning him into the shelter, and my friend is a very dedicated dog-lover. Her experience is limited to Boxers and Pits, so she isn't a froofy toy dog person who has only owned a yorkie or something. But no, she has never had a Border. She used to play with mine, which is why this one has piqued her interest. I suggested I go meet him with her....

Think any rescue would take a dog with these issues?

Originally posted by SincereArtisan:

Think any rescue would take a dog with these issues?

I don't do rescue, so I can't really say. I think some might be very hesitant for liability reasons. Again, it depends is this dog truly aggressive? Any bites? How bad? Or is it more that he's in need of good leadership and the opportunity to exercise his body and mind? That his displays are just that, displays. That's really important info to have.

You're friend sounds dedicated enough to take on a tough job, at least and she does have experience with dogs in general. I think it's a good idea for you to go along to check the dog out. She should make this decision with her eyes wide open, as much as possible.

Sounds like something else is the root here.

If I am guessing correctly, I would suggest that the crate has been used as a type of punishment, and the dog just doesn't want to go in the crate with the door closed.

Toy agression... between humans or just with other dogs? Resource guarding is common and easily overcome if you with with it properly.

Again... just thoughts - because I am not a behaviorlist, nor do I play one on TV.