BC Boards

Muddy Feet = Muddy Floors!

There's also a reason Spottie's crate was 3 feet from my back door! :D

:rolleyes: No doubt!! She's so funny though that she and I have just agreed to more or less ignore that one small dirty problem. So she comes in and wiggles and smiles, I do the best I can to wipe her down (while she wiggles), and then find her a nearby crate to dry off a tad.

ETA: On the other hand, I'd be willing to bet that Nick stays sparkling white no matter what, damn him!

Funny... I was just getting ready to point that fact out. Even if he comes in icky within what seems like moments he's sparkling white again. Where all that dirt goes... well I just don't even want to think about it.

We also use towels inside the door for Annie to walk on, and wipe down her legs as well. That works great for the feet and legs; unfortunately, it does not address the mud that gets into her tail and undercoat. Once the mud dries out and falls off, it can be found anywhere she rests (including the inside of her den). I vacuum the entire house every week (yes, men DO vacuum), and most of what I pick up is dried mud and dog hair; thank god for Dyson pet hair vacs!

I vaccuum the entire house every week (yes, men DO vaccuum)

Yes, men do vacuum. And mop. I've seen it with my own eyes! :rolleyes: My DH does! And I really appreciate it!!!

This is funny to think about right now. There is a window, albeit a very brief one, when there is no mud here. It is just after a major snowfall and just before a sudden winter thaw! So my rugs right now are looking pretty good, I must say. I just have to remember when walking around in socked feet that there will be silent, invisible puddles of melted snow on the carpet or the kitchen floor, made all the more unpleasant by their coldness :rolleyes:

Ailsa

I vacuum the downstairs, where we all spend most of our time, at least twice a week, more usually three times a week. Yes, there is enough time to do this in the day, it only takes 20 minutes or so. I cannot abide living in a dirty house. I don't wear shoes in the house (I can't understand why anyone would, I mean, it's in your house, but whatever) and do not want dirt on my floor. I realize that there is a certain amount of uncleanliness involved with having three dogs, and am pretty much immune to hair until it becomes visible (hello, black dog named Jett) but actual grime I have a problem with.

I forgot to mention trimming the feet. I keep Solo's and Jett's feet trimmed close and also trim about halfway up their lower legs. I should probably also trim Solo's underbelly but cannot bring myself to do that because he'll look silly. Solo is not allowed to look silly. He is masculine and majestic and must stay that way. Thank goodness for Fly, she has basically no hair on her feet and the rest of her is totally Teflon. It is very rare that she is dirty at all. Thanks to her I only have eight feet to wash when the dogs come inside from the yard, rather than 12.

When the dogs get muddy undersides I hose them off and leave them on the back porch (x-pen for Jett, who will amuse herself by digging otherwise) until they are dryish, then I towel them off and they come back in. They don't get muddy bellies when they go out in the yard for potty trips, just muddy feet.

Our backyard is a total swamp. I cannot wait for the rains to stop, not only so I can catch a break from washing dog feet, but also so the dog poop is not waterlogged and disintegrating when I scoop it.

This is funny to think about right now. There is a window, albeit a very brief one, when there is no mud here. It is just after a major snowfall and just before a sudden winter thaw!

I love that particular time! The snow cleans their feet up so nicely!

But once the thaw starts . . . . yikes!!

I just have to remember when walking around in socked feet that there will be silent, invisible puddles of melted snow on the carpet or the kitchen floor, made all the more unpleasant by their coldness :D

Ailsa

Oh man....I hate when that happens!!!!!!!!!!! :D:rolleyes:

Two things that do help, if they're not just out there getting pig-filthy: trim the feet hair, and trim or shave some of the belly hair off. I finally got around to trimming up my dogs' feet before this last round of rain and it helped a lot.

Yes, pig filthy... as in when it gets nice and muddy and little puddles form....they play "splash and bite" with the puddles... then they love to play "catch the water" out of the hose when we rinse them off on the deck. Luckily they think it's a game and we can get them somewhat clean that way. They usually come up to the deck with all 4 legs, tummy, snout and tail completely and totally covered in mud.

I just keep a towel at the door and wipe their feet, they all know, I let them in 1 at a time and they are trained to remain on the mat till I dismiss them. I dont thinks its that much of a problem lol

Several things help:

An outside refuge from mud where you can set up a wash station - it was just a kiddie pool at most places. At my first really doggy house it was an area of gravel in front of the porch steps, and then the porch itself of course. At the last place it was a sidewalk about 50 feet long by the back door. Here I've got both a gravelly parking area which I intend to upgrade next summer, and a carport-cum-patio.

An inside refuge where you can set up, if you are in need of it, a dry station. Or gate it off until puppers dry. Or set up crates padded with absorbent stuff. Changing pads also work very well - I have a bunch left over from the boys' infancy.

Trimming hobbit feet hair as a few have said.

No carpets. I can't imagine having carpets and more than one or two dogs. When we went over two cats, even before I had a dog, carpets left our lives forever.

If you have resilent floors all over, then you can use my newfound trick of vacuuming with a shop vac. Major sucking power, no clogging ever, no death by overfilling, and of course for really awful messes you ca yank out the bag and slurp up wet stuff, too.

I've also recently added a professional/industrial string mop and mop bucket to my cleaning arsenal. You know, the yellow kind with CAUTION WET FLOOR on the side? In places like the kitchen I can really scrub and then slurp it up with the shop vac if I need to.

I don't wear shoes in the house (I can't understand why anyone would, I mean, it's in your house, but whatever) and do not want dirt on my floor.

I'm not Asian, just Californian by birth and never wear shoes inside either. If the floors are dirty, then the dirt gets on the furniture and in particular in the bed. Ick, ick, ick. People wonder why I often comment that seeing dust bunnies on the floor gives me the willies, but only in my own house - that's why.

I have been so tickled with my shop vac. Now that I'm recovered from my surgery I can go back to vacuuming almost everyday - wheeee! I'm in the process of painting all the dark paneled rooms a light color so it's easier to see the bunnies when they escape. Then the next step is refinishing the floors, also a light color, so the dirt/hair is visible. Then I won't get, "Do you have to do that now from hubby when I'm doing a quick onceover right before Wed night church. I usually do it after dinner but we run straight from dinner to church and working with the Bible drillers is exhausting. So yes, I have to do it now. :rolleyes:

Gaiam (gaiam.com) makes rugs (they're really more like mats) from recycled soda pop bottles. They are indoor/ outdoor lightweight & come in beautiful colors. I have one on my kitchen floor & can roll it up and shake it off the back porch or hose it down if need be.

We have snow (at the moment about 3 ft. of it), but mud is almost always a problem. I have a stack of dog towels by the back door, an easily washable throw rug by both doors and I vacuum a lot. :rolleyes:

Fortunately it's usually only their paws, but sometimes . . . .

100_3789.jpg

100_3795.jpg

PacNW here too, so mud access 9mos out of the year. I have a dog shower (1/2 shower w/ hose at dog height) (THANK DOG!) at my 'mudroom' door so the dogs legs get wetted down and then towel dried (x 4 dogs!) and sometimes when I'm lazy I just towel dry, but wash really makes a diff. You could certainly use a bucket outside your door and dip paws in one by one. All my dogs have been trained to tolerate the process. When 2 of them decide to go digging and get covered in mud, they get the unpleasantness of the cold hose outside of the lukewarm inside shower :rolleyes:

I also trim River's paw fur (hers are the only one that really collect mud) to keep it to a min, also her butt fur.

Dogs aren't allowed on carpeted areas which helps - that's all the bedrooms, the 1 small living room. 70% of my house is hardwood maple (which is totally indented by dog nails, I might add).

MudMagnet_mitt_360.jpg

I bought one of these months ago, and recently added another to our gear ..one for front door, one for back/ or in car. They are really great for water, extreme amounts of very sticky mud might be more than they can handle, but for the quick swipe before a run into the kennel where they can dry and let the rest of the dirt drop, it's pretty good.

• 4 weeks later...

We have the problem with 8 paws and a very wet area of France (no snow) I resorted to old farm trick and covered a large area between the gate and entry to the main garden with straw. I keep it reasonably fresh and approx 20/30cms deep- takes half a a large oblong bale. It is not elegent but smells good!!

John