BC Boards

It's me, back again!

Hi! I'm pretty sure, last time I was here, we were at 6 dogs... Well, we're up to 7 now... And still no Border Collie!

We're now at 4 Mini Aussies, a great dane, and 2 German Shepherds (My young rescue, then an older breeding bitch from a puppy mill that was being autioned off at a fall harvest auction. We couldn't see her get into the wrong hands, so she came home with us, for a wopping $10 :rolleyes: She's 8, and has some medical issues that cause her to be on about $60 worth of pills a month)...

Anywho, I know I bounc on and off of this forum, but if you'll have me (even though I don't have a BC) I'd like to stick around, because things are looking up, and it's looking like I'll be able to get a border collie sooner than I had planned (I'd assumed it wouldn't be for another 4 years). I'm looking at some breeders, but I'm struck on Fieldstone... Only problem is they're a good 20 hour drive from me!

So, because the pups coming sooner than I'd thought (no sooner than 14 months), I'm doing a lot of the reading that I've done again, and again, and again.

As for the other dogs, Bella, my GSD rescue I posted about here before I fell off the side of the border collie planet, eventually showed some dog aggression issues, but that didn't phase me. We worked with a private trainer 4 days a week all summer last summer, and we're still working (taking obedience lessons (even though she's already taken them) so that she can be around other dogs) and her problem is getting pretty well under control. The border collie puppy wouldn't come until I'm comfortable taking Bella out in public around other dogs.

This puppy I'm looking into getting would be doing obedience, agility, and herding (supposing I can find someone who'll help us). And I'm assuming that it's very possible he/she could be brought home the summer of 2010, assuming I get in contact with Fieldstone, and they will sell to me. That summer, he'd come to agility trials with us (as a chance to meet new dogs and people), while I was trialing Zoey (and possibly Bella, but I'm not sure if I'll ever compete in agility with her), and my mother was trialing her mini aussie...

Anywho, that's the general update... I'm looking for a border collie breeder, and a pup... And I'm trying not to let any sad German Shepherd rescues stop me from it.

It's good to be back! I really enjoy this forum.

Shay

Welcome back Shay! :D

Seven dogs and counting....wow. I think only Julie has you beat :rolleyes:

I went to the Fieldstone website to see what you were referring to; you're right, Virginia is a long way from New Brunswick! But they are beautiful dogs though and a great looking facility. I know this sounds like a broken record, but is a rescue puppy not an option for you? Just wondering.... I think you were looking at Ontario Border Collie Rescue before. I can't give you any specific links to more local bc breeders but I think others can direct you.

In regards to your GSD Bella, does she show aggression toward your other dogs or just unknown ones? You are very smart to get this under control (thereby training yourself as well) so that bringing a new puppy into the mix does not endanger him/her or unhinge Bella.

You must live in an area where there are no bylaws regarding the number of pet dogs -- lucky you!

I'd love to see some pics of your mini Aussies...

Ailsa

Yup, we've got a lot of dogs...

It's a long way, but I'm thinking my sister and I will fly out, and come back with the puppy under my seat (If Fieldstone will sell to me, that is)....

I have looked at rescues, and am seriously thinking about them, but I think I'd be better off starting with a border collie pup from a breeder... I feel like later down the road, once I've owned a border collie, and know what is going on with owning the breed from experience, I'll start taking on rescues, preferably the 'problem' dogs, because I feel like working with Bella has given me a chance to learn how to handle it with other dogs...

Bella is fine with our dogs (and was introduced to the five we had at the time, all at once by mistake), it's only new dogs that she doesn't know, in new places. Bella has been a lot of work, so I'm not about to go prancing into a puppy and risk Bella hurting it, also, it'll be easier to work and train a puppy with Bella's big DA problem out of the way, and only basic training and working to be done.

There are no rules to how many dogs we can have here. We live in the country, and have a 60 acre farm with close to 30 head of goats and sheep, 6 head of horses, and then 7 dogs in the house, 7 cats, and a rabbit... We're big animal people.

ETA: I'm not feeling great right now, I'm going to go take a snooze, then I'll come post some pictures of the dogs.

We live in the country, and have a 60 acre farm with close to 30 head of goats and sheep, 6 head of horses, and then 7 dogs in the house, 7 cats, and a rabbit... We're big animal people.

ETA: I'm not feeling great right now, I'm going to go take a snooze, then I'll come post some pictures of the dogs.

Sorry you're not feeling well. We're in the middle of a blizzard here so I'm holed up inside for the time being. Sounds like your place is a dream scenario, for me anyway :rolleyes:

Here's a link I pulled from another thread for Canadian working bc breeders:

http://www.canadianbordercollies.org/breeders.html

Good luck,

Ailsa

I'm really in love with Fieldstone border collies, really, I love the dogs, the way they work, and I like how the Henreys seem to handle the farm, etc.. I'm really set on a Fieldstone dog. :rolleyes: My mother, whos car we'd be taking (if I didn't fly, I'm thinking my sister and I'll fly), is set on driving there, so I have no problems with how far it is... I'm just saving up as much money as possible.

I'll look at that link, just came up to the computer for a quick look....

Shay,

If you get a pup from Christine and David, it's possible that transportation can be arranged at least partway and depending on time of year. There is a series of August trials in Ontario that some folks from down this way attend, and there are other trials in the northeast to which handlers go, so you might not have to do the whole 20-hour road trip or flying thing either. Of course, if your mom is set on making the drive, you'd see some gorgeous countryside along the way and you'd get to meet Christine and David and their dogs in person. If you haven't already contacted David or Christine, you should so that they can start getting to know you now and get you on their list for whatever breeding it is that you're interested in.

You're thinking regarding a pup vs. a young adult is a little backward though. Most folks find it easier to learn about border collies from a young adult rescue and then later take the plunge into raising a puppy. That said, if you're looking for a dog with a lot of potential for helping out with your livestock, it does make sense to find a working bred pup (well, the ideal would be an older trained dog, possibly one that's retiring from trialing or a larger farm situation that would already know the program and from whom *you* could learn). You can sometimes find dogs with working potential/ability in rescue, but if you're serious about working stock and trialing then it makes sense to try to stack the deck in your favor with excellent working genetics.

J.

I e-mailed David today, and he has already gotten back to me... I don't know what they think about shipping dogs to people, but if that would be at all possible, I'd do that, but other wise, I'm ready to fly over, or drive.

I must have it mixed up, I just thought it'd be easier for me to start fresh with a pup, rather than take on a dog someone else may have messed up, so I'd have to work through those problems..? You know?

I AM going to get a rescue BC, eventually. I'd just like my first border collie to be a pup from a good breeder, because I'm really nervous that I'd have a lot of problems with a rescue as my first...

As for transporting the pup without my having to go down there, if they're willing to sell to me without ever meeting me in person, I'd like to see if they'd ship the pup, if not, I may try a transport to get the dog to me, or go up and pick him/her up...

I'm getting really excited. Already thinking about names and everything.

I must have it mixed up, I just thought it'd be easier for me to start fresh with a pup, rather than take on a dog someone else may have messed up, so I'd have to work through those problems..? You know?

I AM going to get a rescue BC, eventually. I'd just like my first border collie to be a pup from a good breeder, because I'm really nervous that I'd have a lot of problems with a rescue as my first...

Why would you assume that all rescue dogs have been 'messed up'? Rescue border collies come from a variety of situations and while some may have issues caused by bad breeding and previous owners' actions, others do not. A good rescue knows its dogs well and can describe each dog in great detail. It's fine if you decide to go the puppy and good breeder way, of course, but please reconsider the way you think about rescue collies.

Oh, I didn't mean to say all of them have problems, I just worry that I'd get one and it'd seem fine a tthe fosters, then I'd get it home and the problem would come out. That's what happened with Bella. We didn't know for sure she was reactive, and then after she settled in, it came out fill tilt.

I do plan on having a rescue border collie, don't get me wrong, but with my situation, I feel better getting a pup from a breeder first, and then the rescue border collies can come after, and they will.

Sorry if it sounded wrong, all I ment to get out was that I'd be more comfortable with a puppy that I know the history of. :rolleyes: