BC Boards

Do sheep herding trials make a border more nippy?

I want to take my Border to go have a instinct test to see if she would do good in sheep herding trials. But i am afraid it might make her want to nip at my dogs legs? Just looking for a little advice I thought this might be a good activity for her

I think that introducing a dog to stock work that is ready to work, will help the situation and not make it worse (as in teach a dog impulse control and response to a command reliability). "working" things other than stock should not be tolerated or encouraged in my book. The dog will learn that that certain activity is unacceptable and to not do it. There is usually no translation from stuff done on stock to stuff done other places (like nipping your other dogs heels). Set the boundaries for what you feel is appropriate behavior from your dog and stick to it. These dogs understand the difference in when it's time to work and when it's not.

^^Ditto. In my experience, no, it did not make my dog more nippy. But if he had tried to come home and work the other dogs, I would have let him not that's not appropriate. Good luck with your dog, be warned, you might be hooked after you see her on stock the first time. :rolleyes:

What they said...

And, please, it is a Border Collie, not a "Border". A border is, among other things, a line that separates two geographical entities. It is not a dog or a dog breed. The important word in the name "Border Collie" is "collie", which means a working dog. Border simply refers to the area near the England/Scotland border where the breed has its origins. Several topics have dealt with this small but important (to many of us) distinction. The dogs deserve our respect, and one of the ways we show that is to refer to them properly. Kennel clubbers are fond of using the word "Border" to refer to the Border Collie. Just my opinion and not meant to be hurtful or critical of you, but rather to try and educate.