BC Boards

Help please ;)

Hi from another Aussie!

Just done the new puppy coming into the home of an adult female thing. Although it was a bit easier, since my new boy was 10 weeks when he arrived, and had had a really good set of dog manners drilled into him by his siblings, his mum, his aunt, and apparently a grumpy gran who gave only one warning before following up on it with disrespectful pups.

That said, I wouldn't have said my girl would be naturally good with puppies. She spent the first week or so laying down the ground rules (with my approval as long as it was fair), and then started playing with Rory. She now (4 weeks on) allows him all sorts of liberties - walking underneath her, hanging off her fur as they walk along - and they have lovely games - mad chasing, bitey-face mouth wrestling complete with groans and growls, keeping off the bed ..... If I think things are getting out of hand, I just tell them that'll do, and send them off to do something else.

As the others have said, it's important that the older dog understand that she will be given some peace and quiet when she wants it - and it's useful to be teaching the pup how to find her off switch.

The dogs and I have just had Christmas week in Melbourne visiting rels - and we're back over there again at the end of the month for the Greg and Laura Derrett sminar.

• 3 weeks later...

ok, i'll start with MaggieDog: that video shows almost exactly what they do, thank you for that. It just seems that the pup always wants to play but sometimes the adult doesn't so growls :D

WithZia: the adult-puppy play pic you put there looks exactly like it, so i've come to the conclusion that they're just playing and the puppy hasn't yet learnt that it shouldn't bite the adult.

Thank You All Very Much :rolleyes::D