BC Boards

Pregnant BC mix

Wow what a WONDERFUL thing to see...and here I was just telling my Hubby that I wanted to breed my Dixie...now I really want to;)

Please don't. There's a lot of good information in the stickies about why Border Collies should and should not be bred.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No clue where I learned about it, but I just checked some sites and according to AVMA, there is a law in PA that requires (publicly funded???) shelters to s/n OR... and this is the part I did not know about... the adopter is legally bound to s/n the adopted animal herself/himself within some period of time.

http://www.avma.org/advocacy/state/issues/...neuter_laws.asp

I couldn't find much more info and from what you said, it looks like noone bothers to enforce whatever law there is. Either way, it stinks that an award winning SPCA (according to their site), adopts out unspayed, pregnant dogs.

I just want to clarify...we did adopt from a county SPCA. We were given instructions to take her to the vet within a certain amount of time for shots, etc. (the vet had to sign a card & send it back)...we were also given some certificate to get her spayed. WELL...we were planning on that right after Christmas since she was, according to the SPCA, in heat when we got her! Now we'll wait until she's done nursing the pups, and then get her in to be spayed. Also, I'm not sure how much the SPCA people know to begin with...at least, in my experience with this particular one. First, we were told Jasmine (whose name we gave her...they were calling her something else) was about 10 months old ... our vet said based on her teeth, etc. that she's between 1-2 years old. The SPCA said she was a german shepherd / samoyed mix -- the vet said border collie / australian shepherd mix. The SPCA said "no way could she have gotten pregnant while there" ... yesterday was her 59th day with us and the SPCA said she was with them for a week. SO...who really knows?!?! I feel the SPCA gave us inaccurate information -- and if they are in the dog/cat business, wouldn't they know a bit more about dogs?!

Just some thoughts.

Regardless, my husband and I are THRILLED with Jasmine and our new extended family! He's already talking about keeping one of them!! :-)

Kristin

I keep looking back to this thread for more pictures! Can I suggest that you start a puppy blog? The more pictures and amusing stories, the better. It will help you find homes for them since people can get to know them in their early weeks (and fall in love with one? :rolleyes: ). Blogs are free from Google -- I think THIS LINK will start you up.

Regardless, my husband and I are THRILLED with Jasmine and our new extended family! He's already talking about keeping one of them!! :-)

Jasmine is a very lucky girl to have ended up with you. And so are the puppies. I hope we'll get to see more pictures in the weeks to come! :rolleyes:

The pups look great, and good for you for dealing with all this (didn't have much choice, though, eh?). Mom looks very proud. Sounds like the local shelter folks are fairly clueless :rolleyes:

I was going to say what Julie beat me to, as far as the all white pup and potential deafness.

I was just telling my Hubby that I wanted to breed my Dixie...now I really want to;)

OK, Polly, so exactly what are your reasons for wanting to breed Dixie? She's cute? You love her a lot? You want to have another just like her cuz she's the greatest pet on earth? Please read the sticky at the top of the forum!!

End of rant... :D

A

I keep looking back to this thread for more pictures! Can I suggest that you start a puppy blog? The more pictures and amusing stories, the better. It will help you find homes for them since people can get to know them in their early weeks (and fall in love with one? :rolleyes: ). Blogs are free from Google -- I think THIS LINK will start you up.

OKAY...I'm off work today anyway, and you talked me into it...I STARTED A BLOG! :-) I really have no clue what I'm doing, but it's started. Here's the link:

http://jasminethebcstory.blogspot.com/

I'll figure out how it works and continue to add to it. Haven't quite figured out how to add pictures there...but plan on showing you the progression daily through pics.

THANK YOU to each one of you for your support, kindness, wisdom, etc. It has been greatly appreciated! I'll be checking back here often for information. And, of course, I'll keep you posted (as long as you're interested) on Jasmine & her pups!

Kristin

Holy cuteness :rolleyes: Thank you for taking such good care of Jasmine (she is so pretty!) and looking out for her pups. Many people would have thrown her back to the pound....or worse :D I'm kinda partial to the white one, for obvious reasons :D . Definately keep an eye out for deafness, but you probably won't know for a couple weeks. Either way, there's a TON of help to turn to with questions.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to more pics :D

OK, Polly, so exactly what are your reasons for wanting to breed Dixie? She's cute? You love her a lot? You want to have another just like her cuz she's the greatest pet on earth? Please read the sticky at the top of the forum!!

End of rant... :rolleyes:

A

Oh Anna, it gets even better. Polly has posted in another thread that Dixie is from the pound. ISTM she should have been spayed before ever being sent home--don't the pounds want to part of the solution to the pet overpopulation problem and NOT part of the PROBLEM???? banghead.gif

J.

I just want to clarify...we did adopt from a county SPCA. We were given instructions to take her to the vet within a certain amount of time for shots, etc. (the vet had to sign a card & send it back)...we were also given some certificate to get her spayed. WELL...we were planning on that right after Christmas since she was, according to the SPCA, in heat when we got her! Now we'll wait until she's done nursing the pups, and then get her in to be spayed. Also, I'm not sure how much the SPCA people know to begin with...at least, in my experience with this particular one. First, we were told Jasmine (whose name we gave her...they were calling her something else) was about 10 months old ... our vet said based on her teeth, etc. that she's between 1-2 years old. The SPCA said she was a german shepherd / samoyed mix -- the vet said border collie / australian shepherd mix. The SPCA said "no way could she have gotten pregnant while there" ... yesterday was her 59th day with us and the SPCA said she was with them for a week. SO...who really knows?!?! I feel the SPCA gave us inaccurate information -- and if they are in the dog/cat business, wouldn't they know a bit more about dogs?!

Just some thoughts.

Kristin

What is done is done, but for others who may be reading this post and for your own future reference... If you adopt a dog from a rescue or shelter and it comes with a spay certificate get it done immediately! You agreed to that responsibility when you adopted Jasmine from the shelter. It is fine to spay them if they are in heat or even pregnant.

Please enlist the help of an experienced rescue group to place these pups. Make sure any that you place yourself are spayed or neutered BEFORE the new owners even take possession. While not ideal, pediatric neuter is a better option than having more oops litters.

As to her age, 10 months and 1 to 2 years is a tiny difference, really not significant. She may be just 12 months old now. Dogs can have their first heat cycle at 10 months old. Also, the condition of a dogs' teeth can vary dramatically based on genetics, diet, usage (ex: rock chewing) and other factors. Aging a dog by its teeth is only an estimate.

59 + 7 = 66 days, well within the normal limit for a canine pregnancy (longest I have heard of was 74 days). It is possible her former owner saw her bred, didn't want to deal with the puppies so dumped her at the shelter. It is also possible she escaped from her former owners because she was in heat and searching for a mate, got bred then was picked up and taken to the shelter. I can think of plenty of ways to explain her pregnancy with the shelter not being at fault. Of course, I do not agree with shelters adopting out intact animals, but that is another matter entirely.

Oh Anna, it gets even better. Polly has posted in another thread that Dixie is from the pound. ISTM she should have been spayed before ever being sent home--don't the pounds want to part of the solution to the pet overpopulation problem and NOT part of the PROBLEM????

Oh, dear lord!!!

A