BC Boards

Pregnant BC mix

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww, how cute, she had guinea pigs! I love that they all look like furry little sausages.

Wow, you are in for alot of sleepless nights, good thing nature makes the little frankenfurters so gosh darn cute!

Sara

Wow she looks like a great dog. I cant beleive how proud she looks too!! I'd say tonight she eats steak.lol

You've obviously taken great care of Jasmine since you adopted her - she appears to be in great shape even if whelping 8 pups! Enjoy the litter, they grow up awfully fast - although generally you're more than ready for them to find homes by the time they're 8 weeks old!

OKAY...I'm one proud granny here...A couple more pics of just the "kids"....hee hee...Hope you all don't mind! I can't stop grinning....Momma is doing well...she's eaten a few times...and I've given her chicken broth too...bought some puppy gravy for her food...been giving her a few treats too. :rolleyes:

post-9594-1231347584_thumb.jpg

post-9594-1231347596_thumb.jpg

post-9594-1231347610_thumb.jpg

Congratulations!

I can't believe all those puppies made it out of that proud Momma! :rolleyes: That's a lotta puppy!

I also agree with the blog idea.....

Ailsa

ETA - just saw the new pics ... I wanna the white one!

Wow what a WONDERFUL thing to see...and here I was just telling my Hubby that I wanted to breed my Dixie...now I really want to;):rolleyes:

Congrats to your new family!!!!

Jasmine's Owner,

You will probably want to have the hearing tested on that all-white puppy. There's a good chance that s/he will be deaf. Maybe Nancy or one of the other PA folks can point you in the direction of someone who does BAER testing reasonably nearby.

Kylebrk,

I think often border collie mix pups look a lot like border collies even when they're a known mix. I have a friend whose bitch was bred by a golden retriever and all the pups apparently look very much like border collies.

J.

If you are interested in having some help re-homing the pups ( if you do not decide to keep them :rolleyes: ) you might want to see if you can get a hold of your local BC rescue. The rescue I volunteer with is always happy to post dogs and pups on their site to get more exposure. They also might have some potential adopters, or volunteers, who would be interested in a pup. Or you could post pictures here and I am sure a bunch of us will cave lol.

ETA: I think the Mid Atlantic Border Collie Rescue and The North East Border Collie Rescue both work in PA. (Some one in the area correct me if I am wrong.) You could probably find someone from either rescue in the rescue section of these boards too.

Good point! MABCR http://www.mabcr.org/home/ and Glen Highland Farm www.glenhighlandfarm.com both work in PA in case you end up needing help finding homes for some of the pups.

And congrats, they are a cute bunch. Also, kudos for calmly dealing with the situation. It's too bad the SPCA in your area does not spay/neuter dogs prior to adoption -- I know PA has mandatory spay and neuter laws, so this must be an independent shelter? Not impressive at all.

You will probably want to have the hearing tested on that all-white puppy. There's a good chance that s/he will be deaf. Maybe Nancy or one of the other PA folks can point you in the direction of someone who does BAER testing reasonably nearby.

J.

Why do you think that one could be deaf? Just curious...not knowing much about all of this...I like to learn as much as I possibly can!

Thanks.

Kristin

There's a correlation with all-white heads and deafness. Specifically deafness appears to be related to lack of pigment in hair cells in the inner ear. Sometimes dogs can have black ears (which would imply some pigmentation) and still be deaf. So the fact that there's no black anywhere on that pup and especially on its head is a red flag for potential deafness. It's also possible for a white-headed dog to hear normally, but all other things being equal, a white-headed or white-eared pup should probably be watched/evaluated for hearing problems. I'll see if I can find a link to a good discussion on the topic to post here.

ETA: Here is a link to a discussion last year about white ears. It's a short thread, but someone posted a link to an outside site that also discusses white ears and deafness. The additional link in that thread gives you some methods for testing hearing in a pup.

J.

Good point! MABCR http://www.mabcr.org/home/ and Glen Highland Farm www.glenhighlandfarm.com both work in PA in case you end up needing help finding homes for some of the pups.

And congrats, they are a cute bunch. Also, kudos for calmly dealing with the situation. It's too bad the SPCA in your area does not spay/neuter dogs prior to adoption -- I know PA has mandatory spay and neuter laws, so this must be an independent shelter? Not impressive at all.

I'm not sure where you got the info on spay and neuter laws in Pa. I can go to any PSPCA run facility and take my dog and do whatever I want. You get a certificate but, most vets dont offer to speuter at face value of it. We always speuter as a rescue but, as far as I know even with the dogs I've adopted privately it's never been checked up on.

It's my big complaint about them. No speuter law here.

Wow what a WONDERFUL thing to see...and here I was just telling my Hubby that I wanted to breed my Dixie...now I really want to;):rolleyes:

I don't want to take away from the OP's thread, but please think long and hard about breeding Dixie. I am sure she's a great dog, but there are already thousands of border collies in shelters and rescues, and thousands are put down every year due to basic overpopulation. More border collie puppies produced for the wrong reason (anything other than working ability) does not help the situation. While we are all oohing and ahhing over this litter of mixed breed puppies, it's only because the OP didn't know she adopted a pregnant dog and is doing the best she can. Had she come here first and said I'm going to breed my border collie mix because I think it would so wonderful to see her have puppies, our reaction would have been much different.

I hope you don't take offense and take this in the spirit it was intended, but please think about it carefully. And I don't want to hijack this thread anymore, so that's all I'll say about it.

^^Ack! I didn't even see Polly's post. Please, please, please don't breed. Here is a litter of puppies (and their mom) that got lucky. More litters of puppies is not what the world needs. If you search on this site for breeding topics (or even just read the Read This First post at the top of each section), you will gain a better understanding of what this community's philosophy toward breeding is.

Kristen,

Sorry for the hijack. It's a shame that the good deed you've done here might encourage others into indiscriminate breeding.

J.

There's a correlation with all-white heads and deafness. Specifically deafness appears to be related to lack of pigment in hair cells in the inner ear. Sometimes dogs can have black ears (which would imply some pigmentation) and still be deaf. So the fact that there's no black anywhere on that pup and especially on its head is a red flag for potential deafness. It's also possible for a white-headed dog to hear normally, but all other things being equal, a white-headed or white-eared pup should probably be watched/evaluated for hearing problems. I'll see if I can find a link to a good discussion on the topic to post here.

ETA: Here is a link to a discussion last year about white ears. It's a short thread, but someone posted a link to an outside site that also discusses white ears and deafness. The additional link in that thread gives you some methods for testing hearing in a pup.

J.

THANK YOU for the information!! I will talk to the vet about this.

Kristin

I'm not sure where you got the info on spay and neuter laws in Pa. I can go to any PSPCA run facility and take my dog and do whatever I want. You get a certificate but, most vets dont offer to speuter at face value of it. We always speuter as a rescue but, as far as I know even with the dogs I've adopted privately it's never been checked up on.

It's my big complaint about them. No speuter law here.

No clue where I learned about it, but I just checked some sites and according to AVMA, there is a law in PA that requires (publicly funded???) shelters to s/n OR... and this is the part I did not know about... the adopter is legally bound to s/n the adopted animal herself/himself within some period of time.

http://www.avma.org/advocacy/state/issues/...neuter_laws.asp

I couldn't find much more info and from what you said, it looks like noone bothers to enforce whatever law there is. Either way, it stinks that an award winning SPCA (according to their site), adopts out unspayed, pregnant dogs.