BC Boards

An *awwwww* Moment

Went walking today to help the pup's stretch their legs. And saw a little baby sand piper.

030723.jpg

Then on the way back had to say hi to the neighbor's borders. They have missed playing with Sandler and Willis so much, since they have been in confinement due to their alter surgeries on the 23rd.

031537.jpg

Yor two dogs are so cool. They're really good looking. Who is on the far right? Good pictures too. God Bless

Yeah really. They were crying and just looking at me, like I was the meanest person in the world.

PS

I was sad to see that a cat had gotten to the baby sandpiper last night, killed it, and left in our yard. Sometimes I really dislike nature...

Sometimes I really hate cats. They do that with animals here too. Pepper is really cool. I like how he's colored. I want one like that. God Bless

Originally posted by WyoBC:

Pepper is really cool. I like how he's colored. I want one like that. God Bless

Thanks, we love her colouring too especially her cute lil foxy face!!. Don't worry, you will find your special dog when the time is right!

Sorry, but cats do what God intended for them to do. It is only through domestication, therefore keeping kitties belly full, that he did not eat it also. That's not fair to cats. There are much more important reasons to keep a cat indoors. Unless it is a ranch cat used to keep rats and mice under control. Of course, those are fine, but a cute lil birdie? Rotton cat! Ha!

A long time ago Discovery Channel showed how many kills one cat made in a week and it was amazing. Everything from baby rabbits to snakes. Like you said, not eating, just killing. I do not deem this ok as "doing what god intended them to do" I deem it as irresponsible owners. You take all those dead and multiply it by 5 unsupervised neighborhood cats, and the numbers really climb.

A lot of cat "owners" are irresponsible. Not sure why that is. Probly because most people have the idea that cats are independent, untrainable, do what they want, kinda pets. Every dog I've owned will come when called, even when they knew they were in trouble. If Sammy thought he was in trouble, even canned food wouldn't get him out of his hidey hole. So, people tend to let them just "be cats". The toms aren't neutered and they let them roam, the females aren't spayed so they let them out because they drive them crazy when they come in heat. Cats are let out to their own devises, mainly because, they can "take care of their self". Most people who would never dream of opening the front door, and letting their dog out, then closing the door, will happily do that with their cat. You know how many times I've heard a cat owner say, oh, he'll come back when he's ready. Probly found a owner he likes better. He's just tomcatting around. (always followed by a laugh. Why? arrghh!) Most dog owners would NEVER react that way to a missing dog! So, yeah, killing little critters IS what God intended them to do, but because we also use cats for control of mice and rats in our house and out, how do you teach a cat the difference between a cute little birdie, and a varmit? Dog's ancesters, the wolf, had a natural prey drive. We bred that out for the most part. Cat's prey drive was left in so they would keep killing the mice and rats and snakes that were pests and we never taught them the difference between what we consider "cute" and varmits.

Can I point out--prime reason cats should be kept in doors/supervised. They do incredible damage to wildlife.
-Not as bad as the damage one of my cats does to my house if she has to be kept inside for any reason... or us for that matter. I swear I ended up with the evilest of all cats

One thing I want to remind everyone about, is how humans can very greatly affect predation on prey species. Raccoons for instance are known to follow human scent up trees, and dispatch fledgelings. Researchers learned the hard way that their inspecting nests didn't go un-noticed, and after they came down the tree, that same night, a Raccoon came up and gone are the fledgelings- this is well recorded. Same goes for other "hunters". The absolute best thing to protect wildlife, is to leave nests alone (stay away) and in trees put up a barrier to prevent animals from getting up the tree. Tin, cut rather long, and placed around the tree makes it impossible for the snakes/carnivores to scale up the tree. As for cats, keep 'em inside!

Julie

Originally posted by Dixie_Girl:

A lot of cat "owners" are irresponsible. Not sure why that is. Probly because most people have the idea that cats are independent, untrainable, do what they want, kinda pets.

Exactly. We have a HUGE problem with ferals here and I have had to resort to trapping the sick and vicious and take them in. Was able to home the kittens and some adolescents.

The colony was huge and they were all sick. It was heartbreaking. Why? Because humans let their pets run loose.

I agree. Keep 'em in!! Excercise them! Mentally and physically! If people can do this with Border collies, then why not cats?

My cats have always been indoor ones since I was like 21, and I had one get hit by a car, and that really opened my eyes. Besides they stay healthier(NO getting hit by cars, poisoned worms, get catnapped-etc) and live longer!

Dixie_Girl - So right! People letting a female cat in heat outside because it's "driving them crazy" - that boggles my mind. (And I hear it way too often.) Whose fault is it that the cat went into heat?! ARrgggg. Have to deal with way too many FIV+, FeLV+ and feral cats around here. Because of irresponsible people. :rolleyes: My kitty just imagines his great hunting from the window. And then we play with toys to let him get his aggression out. :D I can't imagine just letting him out to roam... agggh I'd be a wreck. He's my baby!