BC Boards

spending money on your bc

I have a question - I hear a lot of people mentioning glucosamine, I know it's given for dogs with hip problems, especially after a certain age. A friend of mine who has a Saint Bernard is been giving her glucosamine since the dog was pretty young, knowing the predisposition of giant breeds for hip and joint problems.

Are you giving it as a preventative, or as a treatment? Should I start giving Ouzo glucosamine, just to be sure we won't have any problems later? He's 3 years old, very active, no problems so far with his hips or joints. Thanks!

I spend $ on food, vet bills (general maintenance so far, my 2 are still young), things that we can do together (frisbees, balls, etc) treats, and an annual state parks pass which is $50 but allows me to go to the best dog parks around for free as often as I'd like for a year! The normal fee to enter a state park here is $6 for one that I go to and $14 for another. So it's a great deal because we use it, a LOT.

I guess that would be the order of importance as well. Good food with fish oil on top to keep them happy and healthy, annual vet checks (and we also had a couple other visits for a ripped toe nail and a limp with Kipp, and some incontenence issues with Roxy this year) but suprisingly-those were fairly cheap to take care of! Now I have a vet that comes to the house so I don't even spend gas $. Then things that will keep them happy and active that involves all of us. Toys, treats for training, park passes and gas money to events. :rolleyes:

Ceana gets a glucosamine/chongrotin (sp) mix. From what we have learned from Dr.'s and vets they work hand in hand. Kind of like Calcium and Magnesium. LOL, she gets it because no one seems to know what is wrong with her, but if it is physical this couldn't hurt. I guess that makes it corrective and preventative.

I have a question - I hear a lot of people mentioning glucosamine, I know it's given for dogs with hip problems, especially after a certain age. A friend of mine who has a Saint Bernard is been giving her glucosamine since the dog was pretty young, knowing the predisposition of giant breeds for hip and joint problems.

Are you giving it as a preventative, or as a treatment? Should I start giving Ouzo glucosamine, just to be sure we won't have any problems later? He's 3 years old, very active, no problems so far with his hips or joints. Thanks!

I started giving this to Lacee when she joined her "club". She could only run for about 15 minutes before she started to limp on her front leg. I had her checked at the vet and they found nothing wrong. But everytime she ran, she started limping. Someone mentioned glucosamine and I tried it. Lo and behold, she doesn't limp now. She can run, literally, for hours and still want to run, and she's NINE!! I tried it for myself (I need a new knee, but am trying to put it off). It hasn't helped me, though. :rolleyes:

As for giving it to Ouzo now, I'm not sure. I'm thinking you don't have to yet, but once he gets older, I'd probably start it as preventative.

Anda, I give my dogs Glycoflex II (http://www.glycoflex.com/glyco-flex-II-canine.php). From the link:

Stage II

Intermediate

For dogs with moderate need for joint support

Comprehensive support for joint and connective tissue health

For adult and maturing dogs

For sporting and working breeds

Helps support normal joint function as part of follow-up to orthopedic surgery

So, I figured I have one maturing dog (she's 6 years old) and two sporting/working breeds (though they're not working dogs). I started giving it when Lilly had a couple of episodes where she seemed sore, so for her, I consider it a treatment. For the other two, I consider it a preventative/maintenance type of thing, especially since they are both so active.

Anda,

If I had an otherwise healthy dog with no diagnosed joint problems I probably wouldn't consider glucosamine and other joint supplements before the dog is middle age, if then. None of my young dogs get the supplements (I use glucosamine and MSM), but all of my middle aged working dogs (age 7 and 8) and my geriatrics (ages 11-14), all of whom of joint issues of one sort or another (spondylosis, arthritic knee due to an old injury, arthritic hips due to CHD, etc.), get it daily. The purpose is to try to assist with joint lubrication, so if the joints are healthy (uninjured or not arthritic), then while you would not be harming the dog to give the supplements, you also probably wouldn't be helping anything, and therefore just throwing your money away (IMO, and I'm not a vet, obviously).

J.

I just got a second puppy - a Border Collie that I had 'reserved' prior to getting our Aussie pup. This month, vet bills for checkup & shots will take the lead.

WannaPlay.jpg

Firstgreeting.jpg

I've got the dogs on Kirtland food, which doesn't cost a lot and seems pretty good quality. It is one area I disagreed with our vet this morning. She said all store brands are awful, and Purina Dog Chow would be a step up (although she recommended Iams or Nutro or one of those sorts). I pointed out I have a 30 year track record of healthy dogs on Purina Dog Chow, and Kirtland is a step up. Since she didn't know what the ingredient list was for either, I ignored her advice. Particularly since she had just said both pups were in outstanding health. :rolleyes:

Next month, I want the Aussie to start doing basic obedience classes with my youngest daughter (11). That will put lessons up ahead of vet bills (I hope!) and food. I'm not entirely sure I'll chalk that one up to the dogs, since it is as much about teaching my daughter as the dog.

Meanwhile, I've got 3 horses & have to buy feed for all of them...I laugh at the cost of keeping dogs!

3Amigossmall.jpg

Meanwhile, I've got 3 horses & have to buy feed for all of them...I laugh at the cost of keeping dogs!

3Amigossmall.jpg

Sorry, this is off topic.....I saw horses laying down at a nearby farm the other day and thought to myself "I didn't think horses were supposed to lay down due to hurting their insides." Then I saw your picture....so I guess they DO lay down at times?

They don't spend a lot of time lying down. This came after a week of snow and cold. The sun came out, the ground dried up, and they were enjoying a chance to relax. It's the first time I saw all of them down at the same time.

Still, we spend about $300/month for feed. One episode of colic ran $400 for a vet bill. An old 2 horse trailer ran $2500. So yes, I laugh at the cost of dogs! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Food ~$40 a month for 3 dogs

Supplements (joint and garlic) ~$40 every two months for 3 dogs

Dog Training -- ~$140 a month + gas This is my biggest expense but I really really enjoy it and so does Soda. We also trial irregularly and I'm going to a clinic soon and that's kind of $.

Toys - not much. i'll get a new toy every couple of months because I like to. :rolleyes:

Training Treats-- eh. mostly I use dog food.

I do buy dog chewies pretty regularly. The dogs like them.

I will also buy new collars when they are on super sale. I consider purchasing them when they hit the $2 mark. I got some really cute ones in the super sale bin @ Petco

Vet care-- flea stuff freaking kills me. I've started buying the frontline that is the dose for 130# of dogs and dividing that one dose between all three dogs. I got a 6cc syringe and everything to evenly divide it up. So that way I only spend $40 every three months. Other than that, KNOCK ON WOOD, my dog vet care bills have been very low.

No dog beds, though I do want to get one for my old malamute guy, but I bet he wouldn't use them. He seems content with the hole he dug outside.

I noticed no one mentioned the pet rent - I know I am not the only one living in an apartment. We pay $35/month for Ouzo's rent . I feel it is important, otherwise we'd be kicked out :D

I am not mentioning here the deposits - $200 (non refundable)+ $100 (refundable). Wait, I just did :rolleyes:

I noticed no one mentioned the pet rent - I know I am not the only one living in an apartment. We pay $35/month for Ouzo's rent . I feel it is important, otherwise we'd be kicked out

That IS important! :rolleyes: We also pay pet rent for the dog only at $150/month. But no deposits, so that's good.

I agree with others that after the basics like food, vet care, and meds, classes have been the most important extra expenditure we have. Worth every penny!

yep - one of the not-so-good things about the Bay Area. I was just in CO for the holidays and was remembering how everything does not cost $$$$$$ dollars. :rolleyes: Brrrrr, tho!