BC Boards

borders killing groundhogs

Have any of your border collies killed groundhogs? I always figured this to be very dangerous?

I have a 2 year old male that killed two the past few days. ( they're just starting to come out here) I watched out the window, he stocked behind the groundhog laying down and moving up very quietly, then bam! gotta um behind the neck, shook and killed it instantly.

I'm sure they'll be more to come, we have 10 acres of fields. Do you think it's OK to let him do this, or would it be better to get a "Have a heart trap?"

This is my first border to actually kill them, my past borders just chased them. Pete is a sweet guy, don't want him to get hurt! ON the other hand he does a nice clean job and is quite happy about it. My neighbor has an apple orchard and her border collie routinely kills them without getting hurt. I would like to know what others think.

Thanks, David

Other than an occasional bite to the nose (ouch!), none of our dogs has ever sustained any injuries from killing groundhogs.

A good dog may keep the population (and the damage they do) down to a minimum much more readily than you can with trapping. When you use a Havahart, you still have a live groundhog to release somewhere. If it's on your property, he will be back in his den in no time at all. If you release him on someone else's property, that wouldn't be appreciated.

Our two have been on a hunting spree the last week or so and my yard shows it. Little holes dug here and there as they hunt for the gophers. Briar is up two over Rob's one. The trouble is Briar loves to bring me her catch. :eek: She has dropped two at my feet in the livingroom in the last week!!! She is very proud of her skill.

My two dogs have gotten three voles. They started catching them last summer. They would follow the tunnels (I guess they can hear them at work) and dig down and get them. Luckily they don't eat them - they just kill them and leave them for me to pick up. My neighbors want to hire them out!!!

While hiking in mid-winter in the mountains my dog decided to dig moles out from under the snow and eat them. It was pretty much a one bite process to eat the entire mole. I let her do that.

Two days later she developed a nasty throat infection. I took her to the vet, and got anti-biotics and that cured the infection. So her mole-eating cost me about $90. That was the last time she got to eat moles.