BC Boards

Need help with a few issues.

1. Occassionally marking in the house.

Action taken so far. Firm No and Go Crate. He stays there long enough for me to clean. Then we go outside. Sam is only the second male dog I've ever had. Tuck didn't mark in the house. Tuck was neutered later than Sam, so I know that isn't it. Are my actions correct so far or is there something else I need to do?

2. Noticed a few times Sam has growled at the tots ( ages 3&5) when the come and crawl all over me when he is next to me. This isn't frequent and not every time. But would like to Nip this in the bud before is gets habit. So far just told NO on the growl or an Annt. So what is the best thing to do? Neither time did the toddler touch him but I was petting him at the time.

Now since both of those are negative things, I would like to say a few good things Sam recently did. First we went to the park with the 9 yr son,who was playing soccer. Sam did great. He wanted to go play with that ball and get it but he didn't no more than a few barks and occassional protest that he was on leash and couldn't. He got plenty of pets, rubs and praises for being good. Later we took a run down hill and a short nature walk. Then waited on 9yr to finish up while we just walked around some more. And second today, he went to his crate on his own and rested till he chose to come out ( approximately 5-10 min). Plus he is staying good on his recall, even when he is running and wrestling with Libby outside.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Sounds like from his view point he respects the 9 yr old but views the younger ones as below him.

I would continue to tell him NO sternly and let him know you donot tolerate this behavoir as you are the pack leader- but I would have to say you would probably also have to take more drastic measures.

VERY IMPORTANT- Just don't ever leave them alone together!

The others will probably be along shortly, and I know they'll able to help you out with those, as there are some really good experienced people on board here. :rolleyes:

Best of luck to you.

~Beth

I can't help with the marking, but have some suggestions for your other two issues.

#1 and #2 sounds like Sam getting a bit too big for his britches. I can't say what methods to use since it depends on each dog individually. For some dogs, a stern "no" will suffice. For others, you have to really get onto them.

What I can say is that it's important for you to use a correction that is effective. Undercorrecting is just as bad as overcorrecting.

Fynne was like Sam when I first got her. She'd get real snarky. She'd push her way between me and Boy and get real bitchy with him. She even pushed me out of the way once for hugging hubby.

What worked for her in the beginning was for me to quickly turn my attention towards her by jumping up, giving her a dirty look, hollering out "HEY!" in a booming voice and clapping my hands together at the same time. This was to quickly get her attention.

This was immediately followed by me walking towards her with a somewhat threatening body language and pointing towards her crate while calmly but sternly telling her to get in her crate, using my body to "herd" her there (as opposed to me taking her there by the collar).

She hardly ever does anything like that anymore but when she does (maybe by giving Boy a dirty look when she's near me and he approaches me), all I have to do is give her my own dirty look and point towards her crate, and in she'll go all submissive-like.

When it comes to people, and especially children, I'd make it extremely clear to Sam that such behavior will NOT be tolerated.

I don't know Sam's personality, but with the last problem you mentioned, I'd start by kicking him out of the bed if he did anything other than completely accept hubby into the bed as his superior. The bed (and you) belong to your husband, not Sam, and Sam needs to know that.

I'd angrily say, "get out of here!" and immediately kick him out of the bed and run him right out of the room. Then I'd head back towards the bed and if he made any attempt to cross into the room again, I'd turn back around and use my body pressure to "push" him right back out. (This can be applied to issue #2 also.)

Until he recognizes his place in your pack, I wouldn't allow him on the bed. Don't manage that by crating him or shutting the door, but just don't allow him on the bed. That will teach him whose bed it is.

It would be even better if your husband could assert himself in this way, but if I remember correctly, he's like my husband and won't do it. Even if he did, Sam *might* stand up to him, which your husband is probably not in a position to handle.

Sam is still just a puppy. If he's exhibiting this sort of behavior already, then it's really important that you end it now before he gets any bigger and older. You humans (kids too) have to firmly establish yourselves as the higher ranking members in your pack. If you don't then you're just going to have more troubles as time goes by. "No" is not working, so put your foot down and show Sam who wears the pants around there. Exactly how you do that all depends on what type of dog Sam is.

I've found that direct and angry eye contact and forward body language are very effective for most dogs, possibly with a sharp noise or booming voice. Sending a dog away from your presense (temporarily kicking him out of your "pack") can be extremely effective too. Timing is critical!

With a dog like Boy, I need to stay on top of those sorts of things. If I don't, and allow him to get too big for his britches, then he's likely to stand up to me. That's why I'm so strict with him.

Fynne is totally different and wouldn't dare challenge me. So how you deal with Sam all depends on his temperament.

If you're not sure how to deal with him then please consider seeing a behaviorist. They are not all expensive. Kelsey at the humane society is on the Animal Planet show "Houston Animal Cops" or whatever. She's a behaviorist and quite good, and charges $20/hr. If you can find someone like her in your area then for $40 you could get some good advice from someone who is able to see you and Sam personally, and that's always better than advice given over the internet from people who don't personally know you.

Just make sure you resolve these issues now before they become a big problem. I don't want you to come on here some day and tell us that he nipped one of your kids or something, ok?

Sam is in his crate doing this barking at bedtime.

Jared is starting to assert himself up more(last few days). Autumn has started telling him off. She was already telling him off concerning her room, so she has decided to step up her telling him who is boss. I'm currently backing them up.

Thanks Mitz. I was thinking he was hitting another teenager stage and getting too big for his britches. Your suggestions gave me an idea to try for bedtime.

Sam is 15 months now. How long do they stay teenagers? Just lie to me and tell me by age 2 they are out of teenage stage.

Along similar lines, 8mo River has taken to growling when she hears DH coming down the hall into my office (where River often hangs out w/ me). She then hides under my feet/desk when he enters.

She is VERY submissive to him, sometimes even peeing (he's the only one she pees for). I know I'm alpha to my dogs but hubbie is like a male lion. Everyone knows he's alpha, but no one messes w/ him at all. Just avoid him. I'm more the lioness in that I rule too, but I also play and am the disciplinarian.

What do I do about the growling? Anything? Wouldn't want it to escalate - or have her start guarding me.

R.River,

The only thing I could suggest is have your husband interact with River one on one. Play with her, take her with him when he runs errands, and help them bond. She fears him for whatever reason. Have hubby show her that there is nothing to be afraid of.

Karrie,

Maybe you should move his crate out of your bedroom.

I agree with the body posture thing. Zoe's so submissive that a quick "No, stop" will stop her in her tracks. Try that with Zeeke and he laughs at you. I found it really helps if you take a giant step towards him, leaning forwards into him. I don't touch him, I don't necessarily move him... I just walk towards him. It gets his attention a heck of a lot better than any words do.

The farthest Zeeke's gone (excluded posession guarding) is growl/grumbling at me when he's comfortable. He immediately gets kicked off the bed/couch when he does it (and immediately goes into repentance mode). He doesn't do anything when we're, umm, "wrestling" in bed - but when we tackle each other in the living room or kitchen - tickling, hugging, even sometimes just dancing - he starts frantically barking at us. He doesn't go after either one of us, he just barks. I'm not sure what's up with that.