BC Boards

Stop Digging!

How can I get Jacko to quit tearing out the grass and digging?

Jacko is our 1 year old(ish) BC mix rescue. We've had him about 10 days. He loves to tear out the grass in huge mouthfuls until he has a bare spot, then dig in the bare spot. No amount of annoying noises or shouting "no" sways him, he just keeps at it.

It's not because he's not being engaged - his favorite time to do this is when we're trying to play with him or working on commands. When he starts doing this he seriously just goes nuts and good luck getting his attention or getting him to calm down.

Any advice? He's never outside alone, always supervised, so he's always caught in the act. I really don't care if he digs elsewhere but please, not in the grass!

I hate to say it, but a lot of BC puppies dig (and I think that 1 yr. olds qualify).

I suggest trying to make Jacko his own "spot" to dig in. Pick somewhere you are less worried about and put some nice inviting soil there (I brought in several bags of high quality soil, but it wasn't all that expensive). I stuck "Allie's Spot" behind the garage, but it was still an area she had very easy access to. I planted dog toys, rawhide chews and balls and other items that I wanted her to find in the area. It was clearly marked by a plastic border. She loved digging for her toys there. Whenever she would dig anywhere but in her spot, we would scold and eventually she did get better.

Also, remember your pup is new and is just getting settled. Be consistent, but firm. (Allie was a rescue, too.) Welcome!

Definitely make him his own digging spot if you possibly can. He will love you for it. Then you can train him that it is only okay to dig there, and if you make it fun by hiding toys & treats in his spot, he will love to dig there and other places will not be worth his time.

If he is going bananas digging when you are just trying to get him to play a game with you or if you are working on things like sit, down, or whatever--maybe you can keep him on a leash or a longer line for those things? If he starts to dig, just gently lead him back over to where you want him to be and get his attention with something fun.

You might also try doing things inside or somewhere else so that there is nothing to dig while you practice gaining his attention.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

I agree with Allie Oop and Allie Tess and Kipp.

I have never tryed this but the trainer from the dog obedience i go to suggested it. When your dog diggs a hole put his poop (i know it doesnt sound lovely) in it and the bury it. Then your dog wont dig in the same spot.

If it only happens when you are out there then try and distract him with toys or treats.

I hope you find a solution and have fun with your puppy! Welcome.

Some dogs (like my Dazzle for one) just LIKE digging (like a terrier would) so unless you do some really hard core kind of training Jacko would every now and then still WANT to dig. So I agree that the best thing would be to get a sand box (unless you have cats - to much like a litter box) or some other area just for him to dig in.

To stop the digging in other places using the poop is very good. Also water balloons covered with just a little tiny bit of dirt so that when the doggie digs - pop. But out of those two options I would rather do the poop one.

If he is going bananas digging when you are just trying to get him to play a game with you or if you are working on things like sit, down, or whatever--maybe you can keep him on a leash or a longer line for those things? If he starts to dig, just gently lead him back over to where you want him to be and get his attention with something fun.
He is on a leash, and there is no way you could "gently" lead him away from it. We had to finally pick him up and move him in order to get him to stop. Like I said, no amount of telling him no, or tugging on his leash or anything will distract him.

Could it be because its something to do with the past? Has he had to dig for food or something in the past?
I never really thought of that, and I suppose it is possible.

We have an area in the backyard that he can call his own and dig in, thanks for the advice! Now if only I knew how to get him to stop and redirect him to the other area when he's in the act.

Poop works great, but if they're intent on digging they will just find another place to dig. I had this going on and ended up with tiny poop filled holes all over the yard.

They do seem to grow out of it.

Kristen

Oh Yeah, the digging monster. Hoku (our 10 month old BC mix rescue) *loves* to dig . We try and discourage it (he is very sensitive, so a quick eeechh usually stops him, and we redirect him). We have a good digging spot for him, but if there is a gopher or mole under the soil surface, he is after it. If you think your pup might be after critters, you could try one of the caster oil mole repellent sprays for your lawn. Maybe add some hot pepper to it for added dog yuck factor. In our case, we have more meadow areas, to big to try and control the critters. Good luck, and good for you for rescuing Jacko. Pictures please!

Kristin and Hoku

I would totally post a picture if I knew how. Help?!

And thanks for all the advice. We have now given him a 150-200 sq ft area that is all his to dig. It's bordered by railroad ties and sits at a different level from the rest of the yard, so it's pretty obvious that it's his special place. Of course, he'd rather dig everywhere else, but hopefully he's learning!

Yup. That's what Allie does, too. Wants to dig other places, but we don't let her and we encourage the digging in "her" spot. She is

outgrowing it somewhat and is now just over 1 yr.

We recently put down some sod in an area that had heavy use. We just found a chunk pulled out -- and she hasn't done that for a while. A good scold and she is avoiding the patch like the plague.

Hang in there!

If you go to 'The Peoples Border Collie Gallery' on this site, the first entry has very clear directions on how to post pictures. Even I, a total computer dingbat can do it, it's quite easy. And have you buried 'treasure' in his digging spot? It'll help him get going there.

Kristin and Hoku the digging boy