BC Boards

Size of dog house?

I have just bought two dog houses for my dogs, and it says the size fit Border Collies and Huskies. I think the house is too small for my male. But I'm not sure how small dog houses are supposed to be anyway. I have made a dog pen for them and they will only be there when I'm at work. So that's 7,5 hours. And the dog houses are only there so that they can stay dry and warm when it rains.

Here are two pics of my dog in the house. He would not get in there with the roof down.

Bilde172.jpg

Bilde168.jpg

Do you think it's too small for him? He can's stand up in there and the length inside is a little bit smaller than he is from rear end to paws.

I don't think he can sit up without banging the head in the roof. He can turn around though. I haven't opened the other package yet because I'm not sure if Zimba will use it. Kira fits in there just fine, but she's only 6 months.

Strikes me they're too small, esp if the dogs won't go in without the tops open :rolleyes:

They're outside during the day while you're at work? How come not indoors? Doesn't it get cold there in the winter months? Just wondering...

Don't have direct experience with dog houses since mine is inside eating bon-bons and watching tv while I'm out :D

Ailsa

They come with me to work at the moment (we run a family business..) but my father wants me to use the dog pen instead. Kira chews on everything and sometimes use the workshop as a toilet. It's not that cold here, I live in the south of Norway.

Hi Monicah I would say that they are probably to small and you have to think if your younger girl of 6 months she will grow some yet, I always think it is better to go with a larger one , so they have plenty room to stretch out good, for my own opinion I like plenty of room because I am afraid down the road it might cause some hip problems also if they are crunched up inside. Also another question are they both going to be in the same pin? or do you have two separate pins? And as for cold it shouldn't be no problem, rain and dampness is the problem as long as they stay dry is the main thing in snow and rain either one. I believe if I was you I would see if you can take them and trade them in for the larger ones. They will probably like to also take there toys in there with them too ..

Steve

I have found it really depends on the dog. I have two wooden dog houses - an extra large one (supposed to fit two dogs) and one smaller one. They won't share the big one (drat their little hides) and they both try to be the first one in it. The smaller one, which is not really that much smaller, is second choice all of the time. I have big comfy beds in each which are identical and they both still want the big one.

They both had to be coaxed into the houses at first until they got used to them (toys, treats, etc.). Now they enjoy going outside and spending a little time. Where you put the houses is also important -- in the summer we put the houses at the back of our property under large trees that have shade all day. In the winter, the houses come up to the porch and alcove area with a large shelter area.

Yes, my dogs spend some time outside during the day most days (3 - 4 hrs. usually), even in winter (unless the temperatures are below 32 degrees) or if there is bad weather. They enjoy their outside time.