BC Boards

feeding before or after physical activity

I was wondering what most of you all do in the morning when you walk your Border Collie in regard to feeding?

I had been waiting to feed Bandit after our morning walk. Last 2 mornings I have fed him a cup before our walk since he was at his bowl.

Some breeds because of bloating(Greatdane), you have to wait 2 hrs after walking before you can feed. Or if you feed before the walk you have to wait an hour before you can walk.

I know Border Collies are not prone to bloating, but might there be any other problem that might occur if you feed to soon after or before vigorous excersizing. (speed walking)

Hope this makes sense!

I would like to know the answer to this one too. We feed Daisy after her big exercise time, usually waiting a half hour or so, but should we be waiting longer? She runs her butt off playing on the beach for an hour or so once per day, or maybe more if the tides are low at good times.

I just came back from walking Ouzo, and just fed him. If I offer him food before walking in the morning, he totaly ignores it. He only wants to eat after he's "empty" And I don't have time to wait any longer, since I'm heading to work.

When he's realy exercising and running and he's tired, he couldn't care less for food, until he takes a nap, then he remembers he's hungry :rolleyes:

I don't feed my dogs when they are panting or gulping air, and I don't let them do any exercise that will cause them to pant like that within 30 minutes of eating.

I really don't have to worry about it with Eve, since she doesn't do much running anyway (she prefers the stealth approach, even on a tennis ball) and unless there's something important to be doing, she rests as soon as she starts to pant; but Dakota is a live wire and will run until he collapses if he's let out of the yard. *sigh*

My dogs just get fed at the same time each day, regardless of when they are exercised, and they're happy and healthy! I mean, if you look at some of the things a dog will eat in the first place, a bit of exercise before or after really shouldn't hurt. And if their bodies can't handle it, their natural reaction would just be to throw up. That's just my theory.

Gypsy, waiting to feed your dog after exercise is one of the recommended ways to prevent Bloat .

I realize that Border Collies are not at high risk for bloat, but I'd still feed a BC 2x/day, and not right before or after exercise. Bloat is pretty awful, and is fatal if not treated right away. So if something that simple may prevent something that awful, it's worth doing for me.

Lance, I've also read that mixing canned food in with kibble drastically reduces the chance of bloat.

Two of my 3 will throw up water/food if they're too hot or tired to eat. It may not hurt them but I don't much care for cleaning it up. Buzz in particular is a stealth puker - he'll be standing there just wagging his tail and whoopsie! whatever he just ate is all of a sudden on the floor in front of him.

I don't feed until a good 45 minutes after they exercise, and don't feed at all before an intense workout.

Ruth n the BC3

I'm very cautious about feeding close to vigorous exercise, too. I tend to wait half an hour to an hour. I remember AK Dog Doc posted on this not so very long ago - probably in the health section, and I'm pretty sure she crates hers for a while after feeding.

While there's no absolute consensus about the link between vigorous exercise, feeding and bloat, I'm not about to take unnecessary chances. Two friends have lost Border COllies to bloat, so while it's not the issue it is with some breeds, it's there as a risk.

Activity first, feed after. If they're pretty hot and tired, activity first, cool-down and rehydrate next and THEN feed. I do NOT advise feed first and activity after unless you've waited long enough for the stomach to empty (for solids, at least one hour, and two might be better if you're planning heavy activity and/or it was a large meal). Liquids clear faster, usually 30 minutes or so.

Tassie's right, I crate mine for an hour after dinner. (They hate this, but they'd hate a bloat a lot more.)

I'm really careful about feeding Black Jack. I walk him in the morning, feed the horse, then he gets fed. I wait about an hour before and after feeding him to play or do what ever. I figure being safe is better than a trip to the vet.

Besides he doesn't care if he eats if he can play for a few minutes, most of the time anyway.

Alot of good info! I will wait at least an hour after our morning walk to feed Bandit. I'm not sure if I'll crate him after, but will limit his activity. I was sometimes taking him in backyard after eating to catch frisbie. Not anymore!

Thanks Tassie and Maralynn for Bloat info.

I feed my dogs once a day in the evening, usually shortly after sunset. Usually that means we're done with work for the day. I'll let them out a time or two more before I go to bed to mess around while I fill the woodbox or whatever.

They eat in their crates, and are usually crated for an hour or so after they finish.

Having spent alot of time around horses I've had it ingrained into me that you dont feed before strenous activity and give a good cool down period afterward then feed. Even feeding the gang raw this is the rule I follow with the puppers. I walk them down about 15 minutes, bring them in let them relax another good 15 min. If they have been run hard I take up the water and offer it in small amounts over a 20 minute period

I feed in the morning because it's easiest for me and allows me to be pretty consistent with feeding times. if I'm trialling or doing something where I know the dogs will need to be working by a certain time, I make sure I feed at least two hours beforehand. Usually that translates into more than two hours between feeding and having to work. I do not crate after feeding--all the dogs go out in the yard where they stay till I'm ready to leave for work (important since work keeps me away close to 9 hours, and they stay in the house during that time, except for the ones who come to work and stay in the van). Of course, then there's the panicked call from the neighbor saying the cows or sheep are out right as I'm feeding, in which case, they work right after eating. A bit risky, but sometimes life's that way.

Anyway, I tried feeding after running at trials and it seemed to me that the dogs had less oomph than they do when they've had a meal in the morning. I know when I used to jog in the mornings I had more energy if I ate a little something before I headed out the door....

J.

i feed once per day, sometimes less (we feed prey model raw and sometimes 'gorge and fast').

i feed late at night, after walks etc. full tummies = sleepy doglets and a quiet night;)

i also feed late so that in summer the cats get to eat their raw without being pestered by flies etc (they eat outside).

brighid and squirrel will sometimes start playing after supper for a little while, but it never gets out of hand so i let it happen, but i wont initiate play with them till morning.

I feed Meg about an hour before each of her three exercises a day. Once a week hubby takes her to daycare and he has been known to forget to feed her - she goes all day without a 'meal', eats like a horse in the evening and then flops on the couch or in her crate dead to the world. I'd rather she had fuel in advance of her exercise and a nap after. It seems to keep her energy balanced.