BC Boards

Service dog

I have purchased a border collie as a service dog. I have dystonia- very similar to Parkinson's. I shake a lot and fall often and I am training my own dog to help me. I have had border collies for 20 years, and really didn't feel like re-decorating my house for another breed. Besides, I'm not smart enough to train another breed. I recently met a woman in my area that said I could try my pup on her sheep. OOPS- got the "bug" again. I am so tempted to take him out and try him on sheep. He is very well bred. I wouldn't have it any other way. After all, brains before beauty, right? Would love to hear if anyone else is using a border collie for a service dog or knows of anyone else.

You might want to check out the OC-Assist-Dogs group on Yahoo - it's a great group of owner-trainers of service dogs and a GREAT training resource! I've been a member, due to an interest in training a service dog for someone else in the future, for about 5 years now and the list is a wonderful place! There are several BC owners on the list.

The great thing about these dogs is that they can dish out just about anything you ask them too! They're that smart willing and versatile. :rolleyes:

Oh by the way, what tasks are you hoping to have your dog do - I was just thinking that if you were looking into mobility assistance, you might need a bigger dog, but if you need a dog for tasks that don't require bracing, etc. then a BC would be much better.

Border Collies and Australian Shepherds have a so called "will to please". That is why they are that smart and versatile.

My BC and Aussie work with sheep, dugs and cattle. We start at several trials during the year and help some farmers to take their animals from one place to another one.

You might find this thread helpful.

I know a number of people using border collies as service dogs. Have you heard of Ilsa Sternberg? She is severely handicapped (needs wheelchair and voice enhancement), and has border collies whom she's trained as her service dogs, and has even trialed with. I don't know if her book is still in print, but I'm sure it's available via amazon, ebay, alibris, etc.

That thread was great Eileen. So far he is only 5 months old and we are working on obedience and he can pick up some things and hand them to me, as my balance is bad. Just having him with me focuses my attention on him and not on my shaking. He's a little more hard headed than my other ones were, but he's already got a soft spot in my heart.

Great thread you started, Bo Peep!

I am in a similar situation as you, but a little less proactive, so thanks much for starting this thread, and thanks to those who posted useful links.

I have a 6 mo BC pup, who was supposed to be an apprentice under, and learn everything from, my superdog Freckles (who died unexpectedly). I have MS with lots of fatigue and vertigo. I wish to train this pup to be a service dog, who could be of use now on my "bad" days, and could be indispensble should my disease progess.

You are an inspiration Bo Peep!!

One thing both of you should really think about is how much responsibility you're putting on a young pup. From my time on the OC-Assist-Dog list I've learned that there seem to be two camps, those that think pups should be out in public, learning tons of tasks, etc. starting as a young puppy (i.e. less than 6mo) and those that feel that this is too much stress for such a young animal - this camp tends to obedience train and socialize the pup heavily, but only in areas where pets are allowed and not every day, or even every week, in the belief that he/she should have more time to grow up before being subject to the strict behavior rules service animals abide by.

An interesting juxtaposition needless to say and a great thing to think about when raising your own service pup!

Usher has done very well working from the very beginning. He just went with me to see the snow sculptures in McCall, ID. and really helped me from slipping on the ice. There were lots of dogs there, also. He has his days where he just gets to "be just a dog". He's beginning to know the difference when the vest and the choke chain come on that he is "on duty" and on so well behaved. We are right now working on obedience basically and being around people and surroundings like the grocery store and when children run that he should "leave it" and focus on me. No big things yet. I'm unsure on my feet he helps me even though he's only about 35 pounds now, he's going to be a pretty big guy. I don't lean on him, but just having him by me and the "leverage" helps even me out. I kind of lean to one side so he counter acts that. I went with a border collie because that's all I know. I can't imagine my frustration trying to train a breed that wasn't as intelligent. He's too young for a long dinner, but at restaurants if it's a eat & leave thing, he gets to go. So far things are going well.

I had a friend in OR. in a wheelchair that taught all her BC's to herd. She didn't compete in any trials. Her farm was shaped like a pie, all field coming into the barn. I don't know how she did it, but she had some great dogs. Proves anything is possible.

P.S. do you have the URL to that website for yahoo?

Usher did his REAL first job the other day when I took my meds and got a little woozy after they kicked in and needed help getting off the potty. I put him on a stand stay- he never did that before. But I stood him up & told him to stay and used the sink for strength and him for a little support to get myself off the potty. He wouldn't get in his crate that night and slept next to me. Thanks for the addy. I'm going to join right now.