BC Boards

Advice re: sisters dog

I agree. Archer should be crated behind closed doors or vice versa with the other dogs at all times. So that there is NO chance that something might happen.

Like I said before, Daisy has issues with other dogs. While I can bring them into the house, she is not too impressed by it, and would appreciate it if they let her be in my room, alone, thank you very much.

If you've seen your sisters dog tear into other dogs, I don't think simply leashing Archer will be good enough and a leash can cause tension as well. I think, always separate would be best for everyone.

But, if by some chance there is a scuffle and you have to break it up, either throw a different blanket of each one so they can't see each other anymore or hook your arm under one's hind end and lift their back legs off the ground and have another adult do the same for the other dog, they should stop, or you could simply clang some pots together loudly to startle them. Don't stick your hands in the middle of it or pull them away by their collars. Don't yell.

Hopefully every thing will go well and you have a good visit with your family aside from the heavy management load!

edit to delete a sentence i typed twice...

I have had a similar problem over the holidays the last few years (except my parents moved to the same city as me so it will no longer be an issue). Only difference is my dog (Hannah) developed a hatred to my parents dog and will attack her without warning as we discovered one year. My parents dog is reactive and reacts with aggression (snarling, growling, snapping but never biting) to any threats made in her direction, and she always has. Hannah used to just ignore it or back off but at some point, decided if Jetta even came anywhere near her, she'd just silently lunge and attack randomly.

What I had to do was keep Hannah in a crate at all times unless Jetta was outside. It was Jetta's house so not fair to lock her up or remove her from what is daily life for her, and also, Jetta didn't ask for another dog to come into her house. It worked fine other than my family feeling sorry for Hannah because I kept her crated and wanting to let her out because they felt badly for her. Good thing none of them would dare let her out against my wishes.

As an added benefit to crating the dog away, it gives a PERFECT reason for you to take the dog out, alone, on very looooong walks.

I love my family. But a long, solitary walk during the holiday seasons is often a lovely respite from, as my mother always called it, "Too Much Togetherness." :rolleyes:

Mary

As for the "two second window" of possibliity....there is just no way to absolutely make certain one hundred percent that this is not a possibility. I can't be there 100% of the time and as they say, sh*t happens.... Unfortunately, there's no absolutes in life so I'm trying to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

No, of course there are no absolutes and accidents happen. While preparing for the worst and hoping for the best, please also prepare for the best. In other words, talk with your husband and sister and bro-in-law, if they are willing, about how you are going to keep Archer safe from Charlie, especially in regards to the kids who may not follow rules. Have a plan in place that you all help each other stick to. And be determined to have the best outcome of this visit for your puppy. I'm not really a control freak, but I can act like one when the stakes are high enough which I believe they are here.

As an aside re: your closeness with your sister, I know sisters who are not at all close and there is nothing but tension between them. And for lots of people, family gatherings are notorious for tension and arguments. There are all kinds of variations in families from The Waltons (dating myself) to brothers stabbing each other after the Thanksgiving turkey (true story -- but thankfully not my brothers!). :rolleyes:

Also, even though you may feel piled up on, I think everyone here is only concerned for Archer's safety and trying to help.

To help with management, perhaps some signage would be helpful? When I lived with my parents and had to do the crate and rotate thing with Maggie and my parents' dog, we made up a sign on the door leading outside; on one side it said "Oreo is in the Yard" and on the other it read "Oreo is in the Barn" (Oreo is an outside dog). We'd flip the sign as appropriate and it certainly cut down on the number of mistakes. We had about 2 slip ups in 5 years after the sign went up. :rolleyes:

To cut down on risk from the kids, could you perhaps lock the door to the room where Archer is staying when he's crated there and lock Charlie's door when he's in his room as well?