BC Boards

RABIES LAWS-- Mississippi and South Carolina

Based on several questions I've recently received, it appears that dog owners in South Carolina and Mississippi are under the mistaken impression that their animals are required to have annual rabies vaccinations. Links to the respective laws are below.

MISSISSIPPI Rabies Laws http://www.mbah.state.ms.us/disease_progra...rabies_laws.htm

Dogs and Cats**

All dogs and cats shall be vaccinated against rabies at three months of age, revaccinated one year later and every three years thereafter, using a rabies vaccine approved as providing a 3-year immunity.

SOUTH CAROLINA Rabies Control Title 47 http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t47c005.htm

SECTION 47-5-60. Inoculation of pets; certificates and tags.

A pet owner must have his pet inoculated against rabies at a frequency to provide continuous protection of the pet from rabies using a vaccine approved by the department and licensed by the United States Department of Agriculture. Evidence of rabies inoculation is a certificate signed by a licensed veterinarian.

Based on several questions I've recently received, it appears that dog owners in South Carolina and Mississippi are under the mistaken impression that their animals are required to have annual rabies vaccinations. Links to the respective laws are below.

SOUTH CAROLINA Rabies Control Title 47 http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t47c005.htm

SECTION 47-5-60. Inoculation of pets; certificates and tags.

A pet owner must have his pet inoculated against rabies at a frequency to provide continuous protection of the pet from rabies using a vaccine approved by the department and licensed by the United States Department of Agriculture. Evidence of rabies inoculation is a certificate signed by a licensed veterinarian.

:rolleyes: I don't understand. Do you mean people were asking you if their three year vaccine had to be renewed annually?

:rolleyes: I don't understand. Do you mean people were asking you if their three year vaccine had to be renewed annually?

I can't answer for Kris, but I can tell you from my experience that many states have 3 year laws, but the vets force their clients (through ignorance, or refusal to care for the pet if they don't) to get the vaccine yearly or every 2 years. And yes, they give the 3 year vaccine each time.

:huh: I don't understand. Do you mean people were asking you if their three year vaccine had to be renewed annually?

Painted Ponies,

No, dog owners actually told me that South Carolina and Misssissippi required annual rabies vaccinations, which I knew was not the case based on the laws.

This morning I called Dr. Stephanie Cox (803) 898-4042, the South Carolina State Veterinarian this morning to confirm that South Carolina does allow 3 year rabies vaccinations, and she said yes. Mississippi's law is clearly stated. Apparently, some dog owners' veterinarians are giving clients in those two states the impression that the law requires them to have annual rabies boosters. The same thing happened(s) in Tennessee, which also has a 3 year protocol.

Kris

I believe the SC law changed recently to allow 3yr vaccines. I do know that apparently a LOT of vets around here haven't paid attention or are at least not telling their clients. Some of my students have had to go to NC to find 3yr vaccines in the not too distant past! :rolleyes: