BC Boards

Chasing/herding everything...

My dog has a real strong drive to herd everything he encounters. We have 2 other dogs and he thinks he needs to control their every move. He'll run around them, jump in front of them, bite at their tails, and generally give them a lot of trouble if they decide to get up and walk around. And I dont mean just regular play, the other two will be lucky to make it across the room at all if I dont stop Lance from hassling them. They are both older dogs and dont have the energy to deal with him, so I keep Lance away from them as much as I can so he doesn't bother them.

He also tries to herd the cats and my 2yr nephew when he comes over. Now, I'm not complaining about this, in fact I find it amusing and totally natural for him being a BC. But i'm wondering, if he has such strong drive, at such a young age (4 1/2 months), do I need to start him on something to free this type of energy earlier than I expected? can it become a problem in the long run? I know I'd like to see a stock dog trainer with him but I assumed I could wait til he's 1 or 2. I've tried to give him extra training and excercise but there is no way to tire him out enough that he wont want to control the next animal that moves. Whats a good age to start a dog on working sheep? It would be nice if there was something I could train him on before he started with sheep to help prepare him for that while satisfying this urge to herd a bit.

Hi Brandon

I think there are two things here. One is the misbehaviour around dogs/people, and the second is his needing a job. Now, for the first thing, he needs to learn now, in no uncertain terms that dogs/cats and people are not for herding. Period. As for a job, there is no reason he can't do small stints on ducks- where he can't get hurt. You will still need to have a trainer, an experienced, wise one . He is still young- it can be just too much pressure on him at such a young age. You should also spend time just taking walks, and playing with him, and for sure get some basic obedience on him (a that'll do would be great, as well as come, and down).

Every dog matures at their own rate. I started my pup at about 8 months, and it appears to have been the right time for her. Of course, she is still a knucklehead sometimes, but aren't all pups?

My pup "herds" the other dogs- but for the most part she does these big sweeping casts around them, and then walks up on them, so no teeth- some of my dogs like it, because then a chase game ensures. Sometimes she does bite at my Boxer's face, and he gets ticked, other times he likes it.

Julie

My male used to do this too. He wanted to herd people, card and cats!

I had to redirect his herding into chasing a ball, basketball and frisbee. Now he is a fanatic! :rolleyes:

This helped tremendously, along with some training that chasing people and cats is off limits.

He is allowed to herd Pepper, as she too is a BC and just loves it. She herds him right back!

But for the most part other breeds will not put up with this.

mt BC did that as soon as we bought him home at 9 weeks too.

I was completely inexperienced then.. but now I would advise to give him lots of training and to let him know that "no" means "no"

Like someone said above, focusing him on a ball would certainly help... I did the same. He would go to jump up people and I would says Scampi wheres your ball? and then I would have his attntion straight away

My Polly is almost a year now and I'm still surprised at every social event by her behavior. Every time I think she is settled down and fairly predictable, she changes. For instance, she has been around my MIL's schnoodle, Baxter, since she was a wee pup. In the past, she has mostly ignored him or played along side him--like fetch in the yard and they take turns. My house/other houses, everything fine. The other night they came to my house and I was trying to prepare and serve dinner for twelve. Polly began major harassment of Baxter the minute he came in the house. She was sniffing, pawing, herding--he was afraid and kept running to humans for help. So we had to take turns holding him to keep him safe. I didn't want to crate Polly and tried every thing I could think of to make her behave. She was being WAY too rough with this little dog. I didn't want to bring out toys to distract her because I thought it might further agitate the situation. I worry about this because I would like to get a cat, and I'm just not sure about her. Charlene

Happy New Year everyone!

I'm going to ask a question along the line of Brandon's: how do you stop/untrain the inappropriate herding behavior? Tess (10 mos old rescue) is not as bad as Lance sounds to be, but once she fixates on my other dog a nuclear bomb could go off and she wouldn't notice. How do you break that fixation in order to re-focus the dog? She's starting herding lessons (has her second one on Wed.) but she still needs basic obedience which is enormously difficult when she is "distracted" by other dogs and wants to herd them. Her obedience is fine when she's alone and non-existent if another dog is around.

Allison

I've wondered about this same thing as I'm inexperienced with BC/herding dogs. I've been around dogs all my life but I'm amazed at how different it is to live with my BC mix.

As far as the herding goes, I have a Lab/Samoyed mix that is 10+ years old now and I think it's a case of "the mind is willing but the body not able." There are times where she enjoys Pabo's herding and times when she'd rather snooze. Since she's a good bit bigger she'll lay down the law when the unwanted herding happens and Pabo will walk away with look that says "kill joy!"

After 8 months together, they seem to have worked it out for the most part so I'm not too worried about it. Also I haven't seen Pabo try to herd kids yet, so I'm kinda happy for that. The other thing I've noticed that helps is what I'd call "aggregate energy level." If I get busy and can't get Pabo the exercise she needs over several days, she slips into this half crazed annoying mutt mode where she just can't sit still and won't leave me or the other dog alone. She definitely needs a job...

Steve

That's when I take my two over to the park and let them herd the basketball for a half hour to an hour. That or chase a ball or frisbee. That'll mellow them out for a bit.

Well phooey, this certainly has me confused.

Tess is 13wo and my first BC. She does all the stuff that's been described, more or less. She chases the other dogs and wrestles with the cat, she circles around another dog when the dog is playing with JollyBall. She bites at ears and flews.

But all my dogs--retrievers--did this as pups. Seems like standard operating pupster--working through all the predatory behaviors, trying them on for size. I am not always thrilled by the shenanigans but they've always been temporary and with training, redirection and especially time the pups have ended up doing what they're supposed to. I doubt very much it's entirely my doing.

What am I not getting? Are these behaviors more destructive in BCs? Am I dooming myself to an adult BC with unresolved puppy issues?

Chris O

I have always had dogs and cats--but for just a brief time I had a dog and cat-- the dog was a keeshond pup and the cat was an adult and passed away shortly after I got the pup. And yes the pup tried puppy stuff with the cat, who promptly showed the puppy who was boss. The puppy took a "I really didn't want to be friends with you anyway" attitude to save face and they coexisted. But honestly, I sense an intenseness about Polly when it comes to other animals that makes me think that I will go very slowly about introducing a cat into our house. It would break my heart to compromise my relationship with her.

Polly is very submissive and sweet with large dogs and she started out the same way with small dogs. I was disappointed that she made Baxter uncomfortable in our home. I hope it is just puppy behavior that I can work with.

I don't think borders are more destructive, I DO think that they have traits that need to be accommodated--and that can be challenging. That challenge is worth it! Charlene