BC Boards

Rescuers - WWYD?

Why in the world would you get a border collie if you didnt want the dog around you like that. All my dogs hover they make it impossible to get anywhere quickly. You should see when I arrive at the resuce and everyone is out to play. I have 8 to 10 dogs who at least greet me some walk in a circle behind me. Puppies are hanging on to my boot as I walk. They flank my sides and other stop by for a greeting. There is a reason my parrot says that's enough go lay down.lol

Sorry he's coming back but, that really wasnt the right place for him.

I'm thinking she'll have to go through alot of dogs to find this instant connection. The other woman that was interested in him wanted no posturing between Possum and her dog. Where do people get these ideas?

I've been thinking about this a lot recently, in the context of horses. People these days demand that the horse be "bombproof" to tarps being flapped over its back, or unicycles being ridden under it, or other such. Lots of DVDs being sold to teach this behavior to horses, and lots of hours being spent not riding. Now I'm all for a horse having good groundmanners, but what happened to the human actually learning some horsemanship? The kind that would enable the human to keep out of the way of a sudden kick in the first place, or sit the occasional spook, fr chrissakes. Nope, these days the horse has to learn humanship, and the human gets to do any damfool thing it pleases.

There is a reason my parrot says that's enough go lay down

:rolleyes: If I had a parrot, I'm pretty sure he'd be yelling "Shoooo!" in DH's voice by now. :D

I've been thinking about this a lot recently, in the context of horses. People these days demand that the horse be "bombproof" to tarps being flapped over its back, or unicycles being ridden under it, or other such. Lots of DVDs being sold to teach this behavior to horses, and lots of hours being spent not riding. Now I'm all for a horse having good groundmanners, but what happened to the human actually learning some horsemanship? The kind that would enable the human to keep out of the way of a sudden kick in the first place, or sit the occasional spook, fr chrissakes. Nope, these days the horse has to learn humanship, and the human gets to do any damfool thing it pleases.

:rolleyes: If I had a parrot, I'm pretty sure he'd be yelling "Shoooo!" in DH's voice by now. :D

Sally,

The scary thing about all that is that I don't think any horse is ever *truly* bombproof. Sure, they may be proofed against all sorts of oddities in the hands of humans, but does that really mean the horse won't *ever* spook? I doubt it.

A slightly different story: The woman I used to show for had post polio syndrome and truly did need a bombproof horse, not because she lacked horsemanship, but because her legs no longer worked like they used to. So whenever she took one of her horses out on the trail it had to not spook, crawl over obstacles, stand stock still at the mounting block no matter how long it took her to mount or dismount, etc. Yet, I could take that same horse out and let him jig, play, spook, whatever, because the horse was smart enough to figure out that what wasn't kosher when Scott was on his back was okay when I was on his back (that said, I imagine Scott could sit a spook; the concern was that if she ever came off out in the middle of nowhere, it would be next to impossible for her to get back on, nor was she capable of walking long distances to walk a horse back out after a fall). I think even bombproof horses might take advantage if the situation presented itself....

J.

I've been thinking about this a lot recently, in the context of horses. People these days demand that the horse be "bombproof" to tarps being flapped over its back, or unicycles being ridden under it, or other such.

oh, i think you can find this type of thinking everywhere today in everything. I work in marketing in the real estate market. People think they should buy a "used" home in perfect condition (hence, home inspectors). When DH and I bought our first and second house, we knew there were things wrong...we just assumed that as the homeowner we would fix them. People want perfect houses, perfect spouses (ha! that's a good one), perfect children (even perfect adopted children) and perfect pets when they first get them. They don't seem to have a clue as to the fact you have to work at such things. And what happens when it's not perfect? Homeowners sue the previous owners; newlyweds get divorced; and with pets...well, just ask Possum! :rolleyes:

Julie - I agree. I have Bram, an elderly Standardbred/Clydesdale cross who is the Buddha of horsekind. He's faced snarling Rottweilers and fourwheelers roaring down the trail and never turned a hair. One day, we saw a [obviously carnivorous horse-eating] tire in the woods, and suddenly he was channeling War Admiral on steroids. :rolleyes::D

I've also seen horses who appear to take care of their riders - luckily for me, I learned to ride on a few of them. :D Sometimes I'd swear horses are telepathic, even though I don't really believe in human telepathy. I do believe though that one day we may discover an extra sense that developed as an evolutionary advantage to flight animals living in herds.

But back to Possum - looks like his dance card may be filling up once again. An (amateur) obedience trainer :D has inquired about him and would like to meet him tomorrow and, if all goes well, keep him over the four-day holiday weekend to see how the family likes him. :D

But back to Possum - looks like his dance card may be filling up once again. An (amateur) obedience trainer :D has inquired about him and would like to meet him tomorrow and, if all goes well, keep him over the four-day holiday weekend to see how the family likes him. :D

Can we have a pic or a link to a pic of Possum? I feel like I actually know him after all this...so I'd like to see a photo of him.

Can we have a pic or a link to a pic of Possum? I feel like I actually know him after all this...so I'd like to see a photo of him.

Sure. :DHere's the link to Possum's thread in the Rescue Section. The first post has a couple of Possum-pics.

on the topic of horses it would have been a riot to see the ponies and horse we put up with. We had one pony who if you kicked him to make himgo, he would kick back. He could totally judge the ability of his rider. He would also if the mood struck him run you down to get out of his stall. I do not believe there is ever a flaw proof animal.

We also had a horse that if the mood struck her right she would run away with you and not stop and I mean would not stop. My poor sister would be excused from the class and the horse would still be running around the ring with her. :rolleyes:

I'm relearning to ride after 25 years of not riding - and I wasn't good at it back then! So naturally, we got a couple of Arabians, one of whom had never been ridden. She got the bag treatment, etc from a trainer, but now we're working on riding on the road towards the desert (haven't made the desert yet). I've had lessons on:

1 Sitting a Sideways Trot (I didn't know before that a horse could trot sideways!)

2 Getting Past the Blowing 'For Sale' Sign, which often gives me the chance to work on #1 again.

3 Apologizing to Neighbors after Performing a Sitting Sideways Trot thru Their Yard.

Not sure John Lyons covers that on his DVDs.

I'm not sure who is learning the most, but I suspect it is me! And that is true of dogs as well. That lady will NEVER have a special dog, because it is the tough times that makes the dog/person relation special. Mia & Lilly & my wife & I are getting some 'special time' together. It isn't the easiest way to learn to ride, but I wouldn't trade what my horses (and dogs) teach me for some cookie-cutter animal.

Now if I could just teach the dogs & horses that 'Dammit' isn't a preparatory command...or their names!

1 Sitting a Sideways Trot (I didn't know before that a horse could trot sideways!)

They can canter sideways (and walk sideways too)--it's known as a half pass (movement both sideways and forward) or a full pass (movement completely sideways) in dressage parlance. Before long you'll probably learn what a passage and piaffe are, and pirouettes too, and I'd be willing to bet they may even teach you about airs above the ground! :D

Here's a video of Steffern Peters and Floriano performing Grand Prix dressage. See how many of these movements your Arabians might already have taught you! :rolleyes:

J.

Why in the world would you get a border collie if you didnt want the dog around you like that. All my dogs hover they make it impossible to get anywhere quickly. You should see when I arrive at the resuce and everyone is out to play. I have 8 to 10 dogs who at least greet me some walk in a circle behind me. Puppies are hanging on to my boot as I walk. They flank my sides and other stop by for a greeting. There is a reason my parrot says that's enough go lay down.lol

Sorry he's coming back but, that really wasnt the right place for him.

here is how I work at night actually Mitizi is under there too. :rolleyes:

post-5554-1230690981_thumb.jpg

2 Getting Past the Blowing 'For Sale' Sign, which often gives me the chance to work on #1 again.

3 Apologizing to Neighbors after Performing a Sitting Sideways Trot thru Their Yard.

Not sure John Lyons covers that on his DVDs.

<snip>

Now if I could just teach the dogs & horses that 'Dammit' isn't a preparatory command...or their names!

:D I'm familiar with those maneuvers. I also have one who can, apparently, teleport us some fifteen feet or so. At least I'm assuming that's how come every now and then I feel a rush of wind and then look down to see that we're five yards to the left of where we were a second before. :D

I actually have a profanity-trained horse. I didn't do it - I just happened to notice one day that if I took the Lord's name in vain, my old guy would suddenly stop acting like I didn't exist and do as I asked. It's worked every time since. I think his last owner must have had a mouth on him. :D

Julie - *sigh* Thanks for posting that - what a lovely floaty trot Floriano had in that video. Makes me wish there were a dressage trainer within a hundred miles of me. I wonder sometimes what my teleporting cowpony might be able to accomplish if I could convince him to use his anti-gravity device for good. :D

Sheryl - Hah! Looks familiar. Only at my house, every now and then all three get under my desk and then start a gangfight. :rolleyes::D