BC Boards

A close call

It has been a while since I have posted here about Black Jack or anything really. I have been looking, just not posting :rolleyes: But today while I was in Casper after I had stopped at Hostess for lunch snacks I went into another store. When I came out he had some how opened the bag and ate a two pack of chocolate cup cakes! There was nothing left but the wrapper. I ran to the front of the truck and got my phone to call my vet. I was in a panic but was also trying to stay calm. About a thousand things ran though my mind. I got a hold of them and they said he would be ok. Maybe have some diarrhea later on today. I still kept a close eye on him the rest of the day. He seems to be doing good. No diarrhea so far. I was going to take him in to the vet tomorrow anyway because he has been coughing off and on for a few weeks. I hope it's nothing bad. Today was very stressful so I hope tomorrow is better.

Dark chocolate is really the one you need to be concerned with due to the levels of theobromine, or the chemical in the chocolate which it the one that causes us to worry. The amount of theobromine in milk chocolate is only about a third of that in dark chocolate, and I'm sure there are fluctuations in those numbers depending on the quality of the chocolate.

When I was a kid, I got one of those really cheap chocolate Easter bunny that someone got for me, and it was sitting on my dresser unopened and uneaten because even I didn't like the plastic tasting chocolate it was made of. Well, Petey has quite a bit of "boing" in his step and he boinged all the way up onto my dresser and ate it (which is something he never does, even if I've left a sandwich up there or something). It was a completely random act, but he devoured the entire thing and this was one of the big ones! Well, he's still kicking today and I don't think it did any damage to the little guy. It's incredible what their bodies can endure. He had a little bit of diarrhea and he was a little restless that night. I mean, this bunny needed to be held with two hands! It was hollow mind you, but still. Incredibly tough little things dogs are. I'm glad it wasn't some quality dark chocolate or I probably would've dealt with some serious problems.

I hope Black Jack continues to do well. Give him some water so that he doesn't get too dehydrated if he has some diarrhea and I would just keep an eye on him otherwise, I think he'll be fine. I also hope his cough is nothing to worry about! Good luck at the vets.

I hate those "Oh sh*t!" moments!. Don't know how many years, in "dog years", have been shaved off my life since we got Scooter! Hope you get good news today and Black Jack's chocolate cravings left no lingering ill effects. I've also heard it's the dark chocolate we need to be concerned about.

I'm glad Blackjack is OK. Any Oh, S*** moments are very scary. I wouldn't worry too much about cake hurting a dog. There is little to no real chocolate in those kind of snacks. Even M&M's are relatively safe. I'm not recommending you give them as snacks though :D As someone else posted, it's the dark stuff that's concerning.

A friend's beagle ate an entire bag of hershey minatures once. We weren't sure the time line, but after dosing her with hydrogen peroxide and only puke a tiny bit up, she was no worse for wear. Very scary though because she's epileptic and we weren't sure if all the chemicals would trigger one. We still can't figure out how an over weight beagle got the bag off the counter without help :rolleyes:

This reminds me of an incident that happened several years ago at Christmas. My wife's cousin bought me a 1lb box of chocolates (they were the terribly cheap kind that no one really eats) and we'd left it on a cabinet in the livingroom. Wendy and I went out so of course Kodi (our BC/Newf cross) decided that was the perfect time to give those crappy chocolates a try. We came home and noticed the destroyed chocolate box and saw the sheepish looking Kodi trying to avoid looking at us. Within 20 minutes the heaving began and he threw up a chocolate stained explosion that grew to nearly 2 feet in diameter on our livingroom carpet. I watched this happen while Wendy waited for me to freak out but instead I went to the garage, picked up a utility knife walked calmly back into the house and cut the offending section of carpet out! 2 days later we replaced the carpet with Pergo laminate flooring instead and vowed never to have carpet in any house again. Kodi was fine following his internal upheaval and i think only had one runny poop to show for his poor choice in judgement (and our poor placement of said inedible chocolates).

I'm amazed at the resiliency of dogs tummies. Our other dog Tucker has managed to eat nearly every type of excrement he's come across and if anything I think it's preserving him!

Scott

But today while I was in Casper after I had stopped at Hostess for lunch snacks I went into another store. When I came out he had some how opened the bag and ate a two pack of chocolate cup cakes! There was nothing left but the wrapper.

AJ,

Any true chocolate lover knows that there's no real chocolate in those things! :rolleyes:

Glad BJ doesn't seem worse for wear and hope your day is a better one, with no 'oh oh' moments.

Ailsa

I had a 15 lb mutt eat an entire bag of Hershey's Kisses once complete with wrappers. It was a gift from someone for Christmas wrapped under the tree and I had no idea what was in the package. The only thing we had happen was very colorful poop for a few days from all the foil wrappers.

I had a 15 lb mutt eat an entire bag of Hershey's Kisses once complete with wrappers. It was a gift from someone for Christmas wrapped under the tree and I had no idea what was in the package. The only thing we had happen was very colorful poop for a few days from all the foil wrappers.

One of my dogs did that once, too. It was a long time ago and he was fine, other than the colorful and chocolate-smelling poop and sugar high.

My biggest scare ever, though, happened when Milo was still a puppy. He was probably around 5 months old and I had taken him with me to collect some data on wetland mitigation sites for a college class that I was taking. We were pretty far from home and I stopped at a McDonalds to use the bathroom. When I came back out a few minutes later, I was horrified to see a puddle of antifreeze on the inside floor board on the driver's side. Milo was at that age where he ate or licked anything that was on the ground. I'm quite sure that if he had noticed the antifreeze, he would have licked it. Since I didn't know if he had ingested any, I was in a total panic. There was a pay phone outside the McDonalds with a phone book (remember those days?) and I found the number for an E-vet and they told me to bring him right in. To make a long story short, he must not have ingested any, since he checked out fine at the E-vet. He probably just sat there looking out the window waiting for me to return from the bathroom and never even noticed the antifreeze, thank doG.

Mary, holy cow, you must have been just sick! How scary is that!

I also have a beagle story: we briefly had a beagle when I was growing up. One day when we were out, our beagle found our snack cabinet apparently slightly ajar. It was within her reach, and we came home to find she had eaten an entire twelve-pack of Devil Dogs (remember those?) My mom called the vet immediately, and she was told not to worry—that Devil Dogs contained no actual chocolate at all :rolleyes:

Thanks guys. He seems to be ok today. So far no diarrhea. Although he was still coughing this morning. He seems to do it at least twice a day. He kind of clears his throat then coughs for a minute or so. Sometimes it's worse than others. I doubt it's kennel cough because our other dog had that once and it's not the same cough and he doesn't have a high temp. So I guess we'll see. If everything slows down I might e bringing home a 1yr old smooth coat female BC. I fell in love with her and she's a perfect fit with Black Jack. Not really more hyper but more out going than he is. She's not afraid to try new things like Black Jack is sometimes. So I'm thinking maybe she will give him more confidence and help him enjoy things more.

If everything slows down I might e bringing home a 1yr old smooth coat female BC. I fell in love with her and she's a perfect fit with Black Jack. Not really more hyper but more out going than he is. She's not afraid to try new things like Black Jack is sometimes. So I'm thinking maybe she will give him more confidence and help him enjoy things more.

WHAT? :rolleyes:

This is news! You fell in love with another bc? Tell us more please. How does BJ feel about her? What's her story?......

Glad BJ is ok - hope the vet can tell you what the cough is.

Ailsa

Well I haven't gotten her yet. She's still at the shelter. I'm still thinking about her. I want to be sure she'll workout before I bring her home. I think Black Jack likes her. I took him with me today to go and see her and they seemed to get along ok. There was a lot going on so it's hard to tell for sure. I know he hates puppies like no other but he seems to be good around dogs his age. I'm going to keep my eye on her and see how it goes. I don't want to rush getting another one and have it not work out. If I do get her I think I'll name her Karli. It is German for strength. I have always liked that name.

I didn't get into the vets yet. They are short handed and only have a vet there from 12pm to 6pm which is the same hours I work at the shelter. So it's been hard to catch her. I'm probably going to take him in on Monday since it's my day off. I'll let everyone know what I find out.

There are hundreds of different strains of kennel cough. The one going around this area now is a hacking gagging cough, often bringing up lots of thick white icky stuff. No fever. Lasts about 2 days for the worst of it, with exertional coughing for about 2 more weeks.

None of the vaccines have been helpful. If the dogs are under 3 or somehow weak immunologically (old, sick) they've had it.

I'm not saying your shouldn't bring her home, but if it is kennel cough she will share. Just be prepared.

• 2 weeks later...
One of my dogs did that once, too. It was a long time ago and he was fine, other than the colorful and chocolate-smelling poop and sugar high.

My biggest scare ever, though, happened when Milo was still a puppy. He was probably around 5 months old and I had taken him with me to collect some data on wetland mitigation sites for a college class that I was taking. We were pretty far from home and I stopped at a McDonalds to use the bathroom. When I came back out a few minutes later, I was horrified to see a puddle of antifreeze on the inside floor board on the driver's side. Milo was at that age where he ate or licked anything that was on the ground. I'm quite sure that if he had noticed the antifreeze, he would have licked it. Since I didn't know if he had ingested any, I was in a total panic. There was a pay phone outside the McDonalds with a phone book (remember those days?) and I found the number for an E-vet and they told me to bring him right in. To make a long story short, he must not have ingested any, since he checked out fine at the E-vet. He probably just sat there looking out the window waiting for me to return from the bathroom and never even noticed the antifreeze, thank doG.

About a year ago, Libby the Genius opened my mom's front door and walked out of the house and proceeded to take a 'nap' under my mother's loser boyfriend's truck...under which he'd left a nasty pan of old antifreeze...

Needless to say I freaked, panicked, drove the entire thirty minute drive to the vet's terrified for my baby...

Get there...she's fine...

apparently it hadn't interested her enough...

Thank DoG....

Needless to say...I installed better locks on my mother's front door and taught everybody (nephews included) that the 'doggie can open the door'---took my mother a while to learn this, tho!

Terrifying...I'll never forget how my heart jumped seeing her next to that pan...