BC Boards

Advice please....

Hi everyone,

I desperately need some advice. My 22mth old BC isn't well today. I want to take him to the emergency vets but everyone's telling me not to panic....but I can't help myself. He was perfectly normal until dinner time last night. BF and I went out for half hour and when we got back we fed the dogs. At first Ed wouldn't eat his food but, after a little persuasion, he ate it well. He was a little quiet and started growling quietly when we touched his belly (before and after his dinner). He was then really quiet and lethargic all night (BF slept downstairs with him all night) and today he's 'off his legs' It seems to take alot of effort to move, he's a little shaky and not eating today. He didn't over exert before or after eating and he has had a bowel movement today.

Anyone have any ideas what could be up with him? BF's mom is saying its prob a virus. BF says wait til tomorrow and see how he is....?????!

Thanks all.

xx

Take him to the vet NOW, it may be something small, but what if he

got ahold of some poison or such? I'd rather spend the dollars than

wait and see.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. BF's folks had chippy chips for tea last night and when we got back Ed had curry sauce on his head. BF rekons he's prob had his head in the bin and has eaten leftovers which is making him ill as Ed has never eaten anything other than dog food.....but even so I'm concerned that he hasn't been sick. If it were food that he'd eaten surely it'd make him vomit??

xx

Hi everyone,

I desperately need some advice. My 22mth old BC isn't well today. I want to take him to the emergency vets but everyone's telling me not to panic....but I can't help myself. He was perfectly normal until dinner time last night. BF and I went out for half hour and when we got back we fed the dogs. At first Ed wouldn't eat his food but, after a little persuasion, he ate it well. He was a little quiet and started growling quietly when we touched his belly (before and after his dinner). He was then really quiet and lethargic all night (BF slept downstairs with him all night) and today he's 'off his legs' It seems to take alot of effort to move, he's a little shaky and not eating today. He didn't over exert before or after eating and he has had a bowel movement today.

Anyone have any ideas what could be up with him? BF's mom is saying its prob a virus. BF says wait til tomorrow and see how he is....?????!

Thanks all.

xx

Since he is uncomfortable and doesn't want you to touch his abdomen area, I would take him in today to an emergency vet. Better safe than sorry!! I would be concerned about pancreatitis, bloat or an obstruction. Please take him into a vet and then please let us know how he is doing.

Kathy

The two times in his life that Briggs went off his food and was not acting himself.... the first time, he had Leptospirosis and was very ill. The second time, he had acute pancreatitis and he died. My dogs are always enthusiastic about eating so this is an important barometer for me in terms of how they are feeling - no eating, we go to the vet. If it were coupled with a clearly painful abdomen, I would already be there last night. I don't listen to anyone's advice about "wait and see" - for sure if I had waited to see, as my VET suggested the first time around, Briggs would have died from Lepto. He very nearly did as it was. So add my voice to the "go see the vet" chorus.

RDM

Sorry for the late update...

Thanks for everyones advice. Well I took Ed to the vets and he couldn't fiind any obstruction. He had started drinking before I took him so the vet said to just observe and bring him back if he gets worse. Later that night he was bouncing around with his toys again!!! Little bugger was pulling my leg I swear! :rolleyes:

Anyway I rested him all day Monday and he's back to his old self again. I was sooooooo worried though!!! My little shadow!

Thanks again all.

xx

We, too, had a scare with one of our dogs earlier this week. We chose to go to the emergency vet which involved an hour and half of travel (this after a slightly longer than usual workday and a shopping stop, so that we were home quite later than usual) plus vet time plus higher costs for emergency service.

As it turned out, the dog required no special care but mainly observation and a bland diet (when we came home from work, he vomited quite a quantity of blood and and his capillary refill time was about 4 seconds, rather than the optimal 2 seconds - we think he swallowed a sharpish bit of bone during the day and cut his esophagus or stomach wall). We put in about 70 miles of driving, several hours in the car and at the vet's, time at home thawing and preparing suitable food, etc.

Would we do it again? Yes, because we realized that if it had indeed been serious and we had not taken him to the vet, we could have lost him or had a very sick dog during the night. Better to be safe than sorry.

I'm glad everything seems to have turned out fine for you and your dog. We do worry about them, don't we? They can't verbalize what they are feeling and can be quite stoic, so we have to decide when something merits the vet ourselves. It's often not an easy decision.

I have been to the vet a few times in situations that scared me only to find it was something minor but I have learned that when one of my dogs seems a little of there is something wrong. Just over a year ago I spent a whole day working with my top dog. He was non-stop from sun up until sun down and he was tired. That evening I fed him and he was not very much into his food but he ate it. Something told me something was not right. The following morning I went to get him in his crate and he was very slow to come out. I went to my vets house who is also my best friend to work with him for the day on stock and I mentioned that Pete did not seem to be feeling well and perhaps we should not work him much. My vet took the dogs temp and upon reading it he said put him in your truck and head for my clinic fast, I will call ahead and they will be waiting for you. His temp was in the almost dead zone. I cannot believe he even came out of his crate in the morning, I cannot believe he was still alive. Had I waited another couple of hours he would have been dead. He had a bout of pancreatitis. We spent hours working on him and he recovered and was back to normal in a couple of days. Any time my dogs seem a little off I take their temp and head for the vet.