BC Boards

Article on Language

sea4th

I don't believe the HSUS is related to the SPCA and it is certianly not related to the American Humane Society. HSUS is an AR organization. And a shady one, IMO. The most recent example of which is HSUS's President, Wayne Pacelle, raising money by claiming, on HSUS's website, that HSUS was helping to care for the dogs seized from Mike Vick. In fact, Pacelle advised euthanizing the dogs, who, in his expert :rolleyes: opinion were far to vicious to place in homes.Pacelle advises euthanizing Vick's dogs and other former fighting dogs

Of course, we know that many of the Vick dogs are in homes now and at least one is working as a therapy dog.

I agree with the Sinn Fein analogy too, which is essentially what I was trying to say - and I think a statement of "folks like Sinn Fein and the IRA think that ______" likewise would create a perception that overstates the actual similarity between those two groups. But I guess I don't understand enough about the distinction between HSUS and AHA to understand the issue there. I've looked both up, and am certainly could see it being reasonable to disagree with some of HSUS's agendas, but would like more explanation of Sally's point. For example, on the Michael Vick dog thing, there isn't enough information in that story to convince me of a "shadiness" rivaling PETA's, or as pointed out here, ALF. Are you saying the HSUS or any of their affiliate/subsidiary orgs did NOT actually help place or advocate for any of those dogs? (I'm not saying they did, I just don't know what you were saying there). I could also see a situation where initially the dogs were considered to be too great a liability/too emotionally damaged but then a more competent evaluator correctly changing that assessment. I mean, aren't there fighting dogs that truly can't be rehabilitated, or could only be safe in the hands of very knowledgeable trainers? (BTW there a lot of ex-fighting pit bulls in my neighborhood, and I like all of them and think their owners are typically *great* dog owners, so I also recognize many of them don't need to be euthanized.) But again, more clarification on the differences between HSUS and AHA would be much appreciated.

I've looked both up, and am certainly could see it being reasonable to disagree with some of HSUS's agendas, but would like more explanation of Sally's point. For example, on the Michael Vick dog thing, there isn't enough information in that story to convince me of a "shadiness" rivaling PETA's, or as pointed out here, ALF. Are you saying the HSUS or any of their affiliate/subsidiary orgs did NOT actually help place or advocate for any of those dogs? (I'm not saying they did, I just don't know what you were saying there).

Yes, that's what I'm saying. And it's pretty SOP for HSUS - charge into a situation, grab up media attention, but do nothing for the actual animals on the ground. Which is ok if you're clear that you are only an advocacy group. But HSUS is not always clear on that point.

There is a big difference between HSUS and the American Humane Association. HSUS does a lot of PR and collects a ton of money, supposedly on behalf of shelters they support; however, as far as I know they don't actually give money to any shelters. American Humane provides grant money to shelters, educates the staff of various animal shelters and humane societies across the country, helps set up shelter programs tailored to individual shelters, and does disaster recovery in the field (puppy mill busts and natural disasters such as Katrina, providing money to care for animals in distress and finding emergency foster space for the animals), among other animal (and children) support services.