BC Boards

Shedding NOW? (Coat thinning)

I've been noticing that my dog's normally semi-flamboyant tail has been looking a bit raggedy and thin. Just ran a brush through him and took off a LOT of fur.

We've had a recent, suddeny VERY cold snap here. I also switched foods to Taste of the Wild about 8 weeks ago. I'm wondering if cold weather will thin out the old coat as the new one comes in? Or maybe my food choice has had ill effects?

Anyone else noticed their dog's coat thinning out at this time of year?

Thanks,

Mary

Kipp was shedding gobs of hair a few weeks ago - just in time for winter!

A few years ago after a combined false pregnancy and spaying, Missy blew her coat at the begining of December. She had the most pitiful looking coat that you could imagine. I went out and bought her a coat 'cause I figured she'd freeze otherwise!

Oh wow, I'm glad I saw this. I was thinking Belle's tail, her "fluffy underpants" and coat in general looked like she had shed out some. Her coat is nice and shiny, otherwise. I guess the cold weather has finally killed off the ticks as I haven't seen a single one on her for weeks! Yeah!

Grady hardly sheds at all. It's awesome! Never had a dog like it before :D I only run a rake comb through his fur once a week to make it look nice. I almost never get more than a little tuft of fur off the comb.

Lucia, on the other hand, can make a comforter (or any piece of furniture/blanket for that matter) look like she just expoded on it :rolleyes: Year round! It's amazing. Even with weekely brushing with a rake comb and a good diet, I can stuff a small pillow with what I take off of her. And it's ridiculously fluffy and sticky. It can be compared to trying to clean up packing peanuts charged with static electricity off a shag carpet :D

So, I can't tell the difference with the change of seasons. One doesn't shed and another one that shed's enough for 3 :D

• 2 weeks later...
Sophie's fur is coming out in tufts by the hundredfold. She always sheds more int he fall than the spring. Weirdo. The other two are also shedding, just not as much.

wow. What a relief! I thought it was just Libby's that was shedding and I was freaking--remembering the monster Demodex! I was afraid I'd have to buy her another fur coat (she outgrew her little pink one)....

I noticed this evening she'd 'thinned out' a bit....

• 10 years later...

Thank you all for posting your feedback on the coat shedding right before winter .  I was trying to remember if this happened last year and I couldn’t for the life of me remember if she shed right before winter .  My logical mind says why would a dog shed before it gets cold when they shed when it’s getting warmer but you’ve all put my mind to ease.