BC Boards

The trouble with raw?

NorthfieldNick

And then there are those of us who have, and do, feed both, and I suppose the argument would be that we wouldn't see that tremendous difference until we switched completely to raw. Oh well, I'll say it again, we all do what we can to the best of our ability. I won't be made to feel guilty or as if I'm not doing right by my dogs by others who don't live my life.

J.

No, but at least you can say you tried something different in means to better your dogs health. The trouble I have is not with the great information shared by you but people who very desperately defend one way without experiencing another way. I mean maybe there is a better way for things. If you haven't tried something then to me there is no legitimate argument for saying the current way of doing things is the best.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an awsome looking buck! My husband would cry just seeing it. We never get anything like that up here.

Julie,

As for feeding 10 dogs raw, it can be done and without too much effort. I have a chest freezer dedicated to the dogs. I buy in bulk at Wallyworld and throw in whatever cull or deer comes my way and we make do just fine. Perhaps not the entire variety espoused by some, but it works for us and the dogs look wonderful. I would find it more difficult to manage different diets for different dogs, so all of mine get the same. Every household has their own needs and constraints, so I have no desire to preach to anyone. All I can relate is my own experience and how I came about it.

Jimmy and his hunting buddies rarely take the big bucks--they prefer to leave them as the breeders and take the less stellar examples out of the breeding population. But sometimes one comes along that you just can't pass up! For consumption, though, the does really are better!

As for the raw feeding question I understand that your experiences may be different from mine. I don't have an extra freezer at the moment, nor the $$ to purchase one, so I have to make do with the freezer space I have. I have not found it more economical to feed 10 dogs raw than to base part of their diet on kibble, and that's likely because my financial situation is different than yours. Operating this farm on a single income requires some compromises. And the raw + kibble feeding is one where I don't think my compromises are actually compromising the health and well being of my dogs.

As for my "realm of faith" comments, since a couple of folks have asked me about it, let me pose this question: How many of you have been raised in one religious faith or denomination and then had experience with people from another denomination? Have you ever been in a situation where you felt as if someone (or more than one someone) from the different denomination was certain you were going to go to hell because your beliefs and practices didn't mesh exactly with theirs? And even though you were certain that your religious upbriging wasn't heretical, someone from a different faith was busily assuring you that it was? Often that's the sort of turn these discussions take, and I have to say that it makes me uncomfortable to be on the receiving end of the heretic talk--most of us honestly believe in trying to do the best thing for our dogs, but our interpretation of what's best shouldn't lead to talk of heresy. Just saying....

J.

I tried an extended raw feeding experiment with Solo and saw no difference in terms of health, appearance, or general vigor. That said, I do feed some raw food to my dogs, mostly because they really like it, but also because I think feeding fresh foods is good for them. They are always in high spirits after they eat a raw meal.

I'm not taking sides here (SO not interested in getting caught up in this discussion), but I don't have any problems with GMOs and neither does any other biologist I know. They are such a drop in the bucket compared to everything else we've done to the planet, including the domestication of all of our current food crops. There is nothing natural about corn, or all of the different things we've done to wild cabbage. It seems strange to me, for example, when someone gets wigged out by GMO corn, but isn't wigged out by corn in general.

As for my "realm of faith" comments, since a couple of folks have asked me about it, let me pose this question: How many of you have been raised in one religious faith or denomination and then had experience with people from another denomination? Have you ever been in a situation where you felt as if someone (or more than one someone) from the different denomination was certain you were going to go to hell because your beliefs and practices didn't mesh exactly with theirs? And even though you were certain that your religious upbriging wasn't heretical, someone from a different faith was busily assuring you that it was?

J.

:D OMG Did you have a run in with my mom and her "church"? :rolleyes:

Stella

Although this is written concerning dry dog food, I believe he would also endorse raw (see comments about half way on some of the healthiest dogs he's seen):

http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/bestfood...In_conclusion:_

and

http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/contrast.html

An interesting discussion...although set in my ways at 50, I do OCCASIONALLY learn a new trick. We've always given our dogs 'toppings' of meat, grease, cheese, etc - and the older dog won't touch food without it unless he's REALLY hungry. Of course, he won't eat raw steak without staring at it for 10 minutes, so he may not be the best guide to normal dog behavior! I may try 'beefing up' the toppings and reducing the base.

I guess I just look at things in a rather simplistic way...

Dogs were around looong before kibble came into existence ...when our grain mill floor sweepings became 'convenience' food.

Fresh food trumps kibble in my book...just like fresh food for us

trumps processed stuff.

Canine anatomy and physiology tells me what is appropriate to feed...

My very meager 2 cents...

-----------------------

A good site

http://www.dogaware.com