BC Boards

My BC is Psycho

So are you saying he is "Rubyworthy"?

The OP seems to be rolling every BC training no no into one dog. That level of foolishness can not be genuine.

1.fan chasing

2.starring

3.laser light

4.out harrassing stock

5.shock collars

too bad he is neutered, we could have thrown breeding in there. Care to clone?

too bad he is neutered, we could have thrown breeding in there. Care to clone?

Yeah, when I read the dog was neutered I thought well, maybe it's not troll. But supposedly allowing a pup to chase one's horses for hours? Sorry OP - that was overkill. :rolleyes:

you know, I'm still glad this came up because I'd never heard about this laser pointer thing. I probably never would have thought to do that on my own, but had someone with a cat told me they used it, I don't know..I might have tried it. I'm glad that came to light (oops, pardon the pun.) After reading about it, I can see how it can open the door to a lot of problems.

So even trolls can do a little good sometimes!

you know, I'm still glad this came up because I'd never heard about this laser pointer thing. I probably never would have thought to do that on my own, but had someone with a cat told me they used it, I don't know..I might have tried it. I'm glad that came to light (oops, pardon the pun.) After reading about it, I can see how it can open the door to a lot of problems.

No kidding. I have one, left over from my schoolteacher days, and I've let the cats chase it. Good thing I joined this forum before my first BC moved in! I thought I was through being amazed at the things BC could obsess over - and then I read the tree thread. :rolleyes:

No, I am not a troll, and my first name is Dave, Leeworthy is my last name.

I did NOT mean that I wanted to let him out all day and run at the horses, I mean when I am out in the yard, he can go play, or run around, or hell even let me play frisbee with him and not have to worry about him running down the laneway towards the road and trying to get in front of a car.

I don't have a fenced in yard, But I bought some chainlink fencing so I could build an area for the dog that I could go out and play fetch with him, or frisbee with him in. And not have to worry about the previous statement.

I take my dog for a walk 2 times a day. First thing in the morning, and then after work. Each walk is around 10Km. So they are not short. I also run him up and down the stairs in the house for about 15 minutes in the evening before bed to try and tire him out. He sleeps fine through out the nights, and is in his cage until I get home from an 8 hour day at work. We play fetch with him in the house all the time when we are sitting around watching TV or doing paperwork. I try and take him in the barns with me when I feed or anything else. We don't just have out dig sit idle all day. We always keep him doing something, but when he is not doing those somethings he finds something else to do. My friend is a long distance runner, 40-50K at a time. He took Phoenix out with him the one day, and Phoenix didnt even act like he had moved. He has soo much energy. We let him out on a tether in the yard and he sits out there all day trying to chase the birds, its cute, but he likes to dig tunnels to china in the yard.

I am young, 25, and this is my first dog that I have raised on my own. We have no children. I grew up with a Border Collie/Aussie Sheppard cross growing up, and I loved the breed and the personality, thats the reason I got my own Border Collie when I bought my own farm.

Sorry if I offended anyone, I just didnt know any better. Atleast now I know.

Sorry if I offended anyone, I just didnt know any better. At least now I know.

Oh, I don't think you offended anyone personally...at least not me. People here are pretty passionate about their dogs and their views.

I don't think you're experiencing anything that anyone hasn't experienced with their own dogs in one way or another. We've all had behavior problem questions. Hopefully you can get yours straightened out; they don't seem like insurmountable ones. In the meantime, I'll keep working on mine. :rolleyes:

Hi, Dave,

Thanks for letting us know your first name. Glad to hear he's getting enough phyiscal exercise, many people don't realize that most dogs, especially young ones, need to move.

Mental exercise, any kind of thing that makes him think, will wear him out more quickly than physical exercise. When you take him out with you to do chores, work on his sit/down/come skills. Try hiding a ball somewhere in the house or a piece of his kibble, then help him find it a couple times, then let him find it himself. It doesn't have to take hours and hours, you can do 5-10 minutes 2-3 times an evening, and that will make a difference.

Putting up some fencing so you can work on his training without a leash is a great idea. If he's digging, make a corner of the fenced area sand or gravel, hide a ball or toy in there, and let him dig to his heart's content.

You might contact Arizona Border Collie Rescue, and see if they have trainers they would recommend.

Please let us know how you get on with him.

Ruth

Ruth

Ok, so you've let this dog pretty much decide what HE wants to do, when he wants to do it--chasing the horses, not doing as you ask, etc. And of course, the laser just really escalated things.

You need to start from scratch and try to establish a relationship with this dog in which you are in charge. The dog may or may not buy into it at this point, as he's had a fair amount of time with HIM being in charge. A behaviorist would be a good idea, but however you can accomplish it, you cannot let this dog continue to rule the household as he has been doing. Also, you mention how much physical exercise this dog gets every day. That's lovely, but a BC needs MENTAL stimulation--actually, that part is way more important that than the several nice walks a day. Do you have someone in your area who is experienced with BCs? Is there a BC rescue nearby? They would probably be a good resource for help with these behaviors,

A

You might contact Arizona Border Collie Rescue, and see if they have trainers they would recommend.

Ruth,

He's in Ontario so I think Arizona might be a bit of a commute :rolleyes:

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Dave,

You really need to find a good trainer. This dog is running you, not the other way around. Well stimulated, trained and exercised border collies don't call the shots like yours appears to be doing. Many new bc owners (myself included way back when) think that these dogs need a schedule that is go-go-go all day long. This is just not true. Have you heard of the term "off-switch"? :D This is what every good border collie needs to have AND it can be learnt. And you need to do some reading about what makes a border collie tick so you can be one step ahead of the game. His game.

Try BCRO; here's the link http://www.bordercollierescueont.com/ They have a list of trainers.

Ailsa

Thanks again for that link.

I have just contacted the Ontario rescue for a trainer in my area.

Great Dave! :D

Phoenix is beautiful, or should I say, handsome...you can also see the wheels turning.... :rolleyes:

Ailsa