BC Boards

Energy Level

Well,

As pretty much everyone on this board knows I am interested in getting a Border Collie. I do not own one just a Rottweiler who is very low energy. Due to being abused before I got him (believe it or not his personality is actually pretty delicate) and not being able to handle stress (he wigs out and refuses to eat) I don't think I will ever be doing anything other than backyard agility with him. I am however going to do agility with my sisters "minature pointer" (Dachsund x something fast, she frequently 'points' when she is unsure of things). I also have plans to foster a 6month-5years (age range) Border Collie from a rescue once the move is complete (we just need to find an apartment, the big dogs are being boarded... it's a VERY stressful situation. Hopefully we'll be in a house with in 1-2 months which is when I'll start talking to rescues/volunteering to walk dogs etc).

Most everyone should also know I am in band, and if you don't heres a quick refresher. Marching season is 4 months. The time commitment would be the same for the new band. Tuesdays & Thursdays you get home at 5:30pm. The difference is they don't go to all of their football games (usually 2/3 per month) and when they don't attend a football game they practice until 5:30pm. They also go to contests on Saturdays (competition band).

But... here's the kicker. This new school also has Orchestra. I have wanted to play the harp for forever (don't know if they have it or not). I have talked to my parents about doing Concert Season on flute (my dad is scared of less scholarship oppertunities on just a string) and marching season with the Orchestra. Orchestra won't have competitions every Saturday for 4 months and I suspect their practice time is similiar to bands. However, I do not know if my parents will say it is alright and if the Orchestra teacher would allow it so as far as answering my question goes lets say I'm still in marching band 4 months. On Saturdays my Mom takes care of Colton, as well as when I am at band practice. So the puppy (and Colton) are/would not be crated all of practice/competitions.

Considering energy level, does it even sound reasonable that I would have time for a Border Collie? How high energy is your dog(s)? What kind of exercise do you provide them with? For how long?

Thanks

Considering energy level, does it even sound reasonable that I would have time for a Border Collie? How high energy is your dog(s)? What kind of exercise do you provide them with? For how long?

Hi Colton's Mom,

First, I'd like to really commend you for giving this decision so much time and thought. Getting a dog is such a big and long-term responsibility (not to mention $$ - I'm still reeling from the totally accidental injury that just cost us $1k) that it should never be undertaken lightly.

Here are just some (many I've missed, I'm sure) questions you might ask yourself:

1. How does your existing dog, Colton, react with new dogs? Is he reliable?

2. What grade are you in? And when you graduate from high school, do you intend to leave home to go to university or college? If so, who will take care of the border collie? This is a really critical consideration, since even if you are exercising and playing with the dog while you are in town, its new care-giver might not have the time or inclination to give it the same amount of attention.

3. If you are intending to foster a border collie, this could be tantamount to getting another dog. For two reasons. One - from my understanding, fostering can often lead first-time fosterers to adopting their charge themselves :rolleyes: . Second - this is a commitment with no time limit. No one ever knows how long it will take for the dog to find its forever home. Also, fostering at the same time as having your own first border collie could definitely be too much for you all at once.

4. Re: energy levels. I don't think this is the primary issue. If you're wanting to get a puppy, then I think the day-to-day consistency of care and attention is more important. And if you have a schedule that inhibits your ability to, for example, do nightly potty breaks, socialize, train, etc. then I don't think that this is the right time in your life for a puppy. But that being said, you don't say whether you will be getting help from the rest of your family or if you are considering getting a mature dog who may better fit your family lifestyle & schedule right now. People have spoken on this Board before about their bcs and their energy levels and I think the overwhelming consensus is that many border collies do perfectly well in homes where they get regular daily playtimes, combined with training sessions and socializing with other people and dogs. My dog Skye is very laid back at home but does get two outings a day that are about an hour or more each, with play and interesting environments (i.e. not simply the neighbourhood dog park, but walks in the woods, fields, etc., which we get to by car).

Hopefully others will respond and let you know their thoughts on your present situation. I know that you're keen (as was I when I lived at home as a teenager -- but my family members were all allergic so it turned out that I didn't get my first dog until I was just over 30!) and you're really wanting to make this work, so good for you asking for advice and thinking it through!

Ailsa

Colton is good with other dogs when they are dog friendly and introduced in a low stress enviornment. He adores kittens/puppies (he tried to play mother to a litter of kittens I fostered). Due to his inability to tolerate stress and being attacked at the dogpark he doesn't do good with a whole bunch of dogs (good example is the dogpark you never know what dog will come in next and some have such a bad energy :/). So far he has had no problems with any of our previous fosters (well really we end up finding some dog running on the street, take it to the vet, and then bring it home to foster). Honestly I can't wait to get a lisence because there is nothing I love more than going to the park with Colton. He eats it up. We used to go 3-4 hours on Tuesday after band practice but since we *have* to work on the house and have it all done in 2 weeks (mind you it's a 3 story and was in bad shape when we got it) he gets a walk in the neighborhood (nothing fancy like the park). The story with Colton was he was a foster. He ended up getting really, really sick (parasites multiple types) and I nursed him back to health. At the time I hadn't even thought about owning a dog he just walked into my life. It wasn't like I was giving him up after spending six months to get him healthy.

I have fostered other dogs so yes, I can give them to their good homes. It hurts but the way I look at it (with kittens/puppies/dogs) when this particular dog/cat goes to its home it opens up a door for another one to come into mine.

It sounds like you really want a border collie. I guess i am wondering what it is about having a BC that will be so much better/different than having a rottie? I just got my second dog and 2 are definately more work than 1.

I understand that it can be frustrating being young and really wanting a dog and not being able to have one (although you are lucky enough to have Colton). I wanted one my whole life but due to circumstances was not able to get one until i was on my own. I rescued Laska almost by accident when i was 19 and in university. Long story short, i am 30 and i still have her. My life is very different now than it was then and having her shaped my life throughout those years. You need to think about all the things that you want to do as a young person (travel, stay out all night, go away to school etc.) and ask yourself whether you would be willing to miss out or greatly modify those activities.

To answer your energy question, i think it depends on what kind of exercise they are getting. I live in the city and do not leave my dogs unattended in my yard. So:

We get up at 6 am and go for a 45 minute walk off-leash, rain or shine (and around these parts, it's mostly rain)

Some days my husband is home so the dogs hang out with him but if we are both at work, Orbit (7 months old) gets kenneled and Laska sleeps on the couch

I get home at about 4 and then we go out for a 1-2 hour hike/swim depending on the season

Then they are good for a nap (or just chilling out) until evening when we will go out again for about 30 minutes.

We go out more now because my pup needs more play time than Laska but it is a very serious time commitment if you want your dog to be good dog. I hope this helps and enjoy Colton, I would have given anything to have any kind of a dog in the 9th grade.

Cheers

Having a Border Collie over a Rottweiler (I could get a 2nd Rottie in the blink of an eye they're just not my breed) is a lot. I'm not going to say if I don't get another dog it is going to break my life (one of my friends acts like this and it's annoying :rolleyes:) because it is not. Believe me I know adding another dog is work. Colton was the addition to the pack (my Mom's 2 Rottweilers Missy & Jenna).

As far as college goes Colton's going with me. Seeing as I am in the 9th grade I can't give you exactly what is going to happen but my Dad has talked about buying a house for me to live in. My younger sister (2 years younger) will probably end up going to the same college as me (she's one of those who freaks out if she's alone) and we'd live together (she has a dog too). My parents have already said if for whatever reason Colton has extremely horrible no-way-at-all-I-could-take-care-of-it medical conditions he will stay with them.

Getting another dog has already been "ok" by my Mom & Dad. I am just the kind of person to do all the research and more (my brother got a pet fish because he liked how it looked. the fish was the *HARDEST* thing to keep alive. He didn't research it). I have always wanted to compete in dog sports but at the time of Colton's arrival I wasn't looking to get another dog, yet alone a Rottweiler. (BC was always the breed I had in mind when I was 7 and went to the pound with my mom to pick up one of our rescue Rottweilers, Missy, there was an adorable BC mix puppy I fell in love with the breed). Colton's personality and lack of drive definantly doesn't make him the perfect dog sport dog.

The more I researched working dogs the more I liked them. I was leaning towards Aussie but they're big fluffy, and not Aussies. I keep coming back to the BC, they always just pop back up. I like the breed they're a beautiful dog. Challenging yet rewarding as most things are. I can't wait to start agility with my sister's dog and will be volunteering at some dog rescue when I'm in the apartment (living without dogs makes me :D). The new HS has an active 4-H livestock and I emailed about joining to get a good idea on what the dog I might get would be herding. Thanks for reply.

RNB

Shadow is probably the laziest BC ever born, she spends most of her time sound asleep! She runs around outside with Penny for about 1/2 hour a day, and we play catch about 1 hour a day... thats really all she'll stay awake for LOL. She REALLY likes her sleeping time.

I'm not going to answer the first one. Because in all honesty, we can give you examples of what the breed is like, how high/low it's energy level is, etc. But if you really want this breed of dog (which is seems from your recent threads, you do) YOU have to be willing to cut back on things if needed.

Anywhoo, I shall say no more about that.

On to the next question.

Blaze is a 9 month old BC from working lines. I'm not sure what his energy level is since he's my first Border Collie. He doesn't seem extremely outragous compared to the other dogs, but he definately can go on longer than the other dogs. But at the same time, he's got a pretty good "off switch". Meaning we can be playing ball one minute, then the next minute he's fine sleeping at my feet. Which is what he's doing now :D

As far as exercise goes. Oh hmmm. . .I try to go for a walk everyday with him. And a walk includes about 30 mins of on-lead walking with about an hour of off-lead walking/running. I also incorperate obedience into basically everything we do. Then whenever I am on a school break during the day we play ball for a while. Blaze also plays atleast 2-3 times a day with my female (zoomies, biteface, all that fun stuff :rolleyes:).

Oh, and in the summer we played in the pool ALOT. Probably everyday. LOL

The energy level and busyness in the house for the most part depends on what you get your dog/puppy in a routine of doing. Meaning, if when the puppy is young (or adult dog is new) and you are constantly keeping it busy in the house with something to do, that's what the dog will expect ALL the time, even when you want down time. If you teach your dog to be quiet in the house and relax/sleep while in the house, then taking it out for regular exercise would be sufficient during the week until you could spend lots of outdoor time with it on the weekends.

That being said I will tell you that it can be done, and it sounds like you have the determination and support from your family to make it work. Getting a dog while your in high school (and as busy as you are now) will help you develop a routine with the dog before you move off to live on your own for college. Just have a plan and idea of how you want your dog to behave in the house and then expect that kind of behavior from them. If they want to play while you're studying ask them to go lay down and chill out, then when you finish, take them for a play session. This will teach your dog that when you are doing something in the house to be calm.

Now with that in mind, I would suggest a dog around the age of 2 because they are starting (notice I said starting) to calm down from puppy energy but they still have lots of puppyness in them. This way you won't have to spend 2 years dealing with busy puppies and puppy training, you still have enough time to shape the behaviors you want and you will have an adult dog in college that will make leaving it while in class easier on you and the dog.

Continue doing your research and get a dog whose temperament fits your life style. Border Collies should not be over the top busy when in the house, but should have the stamina (mentally and physically) to work/play for as long as they are out with you. They shouldn't be these hyper, non-stop energy that most people describe them as. Those behaviors a lot of the time are learned because their owners think that's how they are supposed to be, so they treat them like that. Then the dogs come to expect and demand it. No fun for dog (who never gets to relax) and owner (who never gets to relax) :rolleyes:

I don't think border collies are any more energetic as many other breeds. Tempe has her issues but she is not overly energetic. She has an offswitch. Over the last month or so, we have been very busy and either one of the dogs is hurt or sick so none of the dogs are getting much exercise and they are all ok with it.

I teach all my dogs to chill out in the house. They will have moments of playing together and wrestling but most of the time just lay around and sleep inside.

If you really want a border collie, you would probably make a good owner but a puppy may not be the best choice. You have a busy schedule and unless you can give up some of it, you won't have the time to train a puppy properly. You may be better off rescuing a slightly older dog - at least 1 yr or so. This would allow you to find a dog that Colton likes and you will know the temperament. You will know if the dog will be able to compete in dogsports.

Tempe, border collie, is a good dog but has behavior issues though. She has been trained in flyball and has done some agility training. She is currently not playing flyball because she shutdowns easily. She likes agility but the class schedule is just not meshing with my schedule. I don't know if she could compete in agility trials anyways because of her issues. That is ok though - she is my pet first. She was bought to be a pet with hopes of playing dogsports and it does not look like dogsports except playtime at home is in her future. Her issues are severe enough that we have her on some holistic drugs in hopes it will help.

I am telling you the quick story (background) of Tempe so you realize that getting a puppy means nothing on how they will be as they get older. Tempe was not this bad as a puppy. She became freakier as she got older.

With the problems you already have with Colton, you really don't want another dog of questionable temperament. You should look for a rescue that has a solid temperament. A puppy is such an unknown...

I second getting an adult rescue dog with a known temperament. Puppies are so unpredictable and stressful on other dogs, not to mention dogs that have stress issues already. Plus raising a puppy is a lot more responsibility than an adult. They pretty much need five times the work!

As a high school student myself I can tell you it is very possible. Now, I will also tell you that I do not have much of a social life, besides going to agility class or trials! That I honestly don't mind because I really enjoy the company of dog people more so than my peers. XD Having willing parents is a huge plus and it seems like the burden of this dog won't fall completely on your shoulders. Whether or not you get a rescue adult or a puppy, I would plan on getting the addition when you have a lot of time to spend with him/her, like over summer or winter break. That way you have the initial time to get the dog situated, do some basic training etc. without having to be gone for the majority of the day at school.

My BC Panic does not need excess amounts of energy. I have down days where he hardly gets any exercise and he's fine just laying around the house. Of course this can't happen every day, but if there happens to be a time when you simply can't manage to exercise your dog it won't be a huge problem (unless its a puppy!) This is the great thing about border collies; they fine lounging around all day but are ready to jump up and work the moment you say so. (Of course this isn't true for EVERY BC) More important than exercise is mental stimulation. I spend a lot of time teaching Panic every trick I can think of. Its a lot of fun and it often wears him out. Sometimes you can completely run a BC into the ground and they won't be tired unless they got some mental stimulation.

Owning a border collie has been the most frustrating, unnerving, difficult thing I've ever had to do; they are certainly not easy. But its also been the most exciting, fun and rewarding things I've ever done as well! Good luck in your search. :rolleyes:

IOwning a border collie has been the most frustrating, unnerving, difficult thing I've ever had to do; they are certainly not easy. But its also been the most exciting, fun and rewarding things I've ever done as well! Good luck in your search. :rolleyes:

That is funny! My BC has been the easiest dog I have ever owned! She is mellow but active, clever, biddable and loving with a superb temperament!

Most everyone should also know I am in band, and if you don't heres a quick refresher. Marching season is 4 months. The time commitment would be the same for the new band. Tuesdays & Thursdays you get home at 5:30pm. The difference is they don't go to all of their football games (usually 2/3 per month) and when they don't attend a football game they practice until 5:30pm. They also go to contests on Saturdays (competition band).

how cool! another band person! I'm sorry I don't have any real advice for you, because my parents never really supported the idea of adopting an adult dog, so I was stuck with my little bundle of fun. But, I would really like to rescue in the future.

It's great that you're doing so much research, and asking folks who already have border collies (and a variety of them, at that!). "WAVES" to your parents for such great support to you too.

But given your age, and the funny way that things change as we age, I'd highly recommend doing fosters for quite awhile. It can give you some real insights into the variety of border collies out there, things can be adjusted as necessary as your schedule changes, and if you THEN figure out that you really want your very-own-forever border collie - you'll be set! (Are you willing to tell your best boyfriend - love me, love my dog?!)

I just see too many younger adults getting dogs, who end up either in rescue or back with the parents - who may take the dog, out of love for the kid, but who really don't WANT the dog. Please seriously consider any decision in this direction. Rereading your first post here, I'd say that band may be more important to you at the moment. You can't do band (well, not the same way) as an adult - so do that now, do dogs later!

BTW, I had a dog in college, we went walking nearly every day, and hiking or x-c skiing in winter on weekends - but looking back, that dog didn't really get the attention, training and love that he should have. You couldn't have convinced me of that at the time - no way. Just my experience.

Best of luck to ya!

diane

But given your age, and the funny way that things change as we age, I'd highly recommend doing fosters for quite awhile. It can give you some real insights into the variety of border collies out there, things can be adjusted as necessary as your schedule changes, and if you THEN figure out that you really want your very-own-forever border collie - you'll be set! (Are you willing to tell your best boyfriend - love me, love my dog?!)

diane

Yup, I think this is a great idea as well. You mentioned that you are going to start fostering, which is great! We have fostered 40 dogs, several of them BCs and I'm really glad I had the experience before we decided to keep Panic.

I am pretty set on getting a puppy from a breeder even though I am all for rescuing (all four of my current dogs are rescues). I looked into getting a puppy form Gentle Shepherd Farms. If they've got some huge red flag you know about please tell me and steet me in a better direction. The more thought I put into this the more it makes sense to wait longer than I had first planned. I can get Colton's dog aggression settled, and try herding with him (if you have any tips on sociliazing an aggressive dog please let me know. he hasn't bitten just growls/raises hackles it's because he was attacked and took the fear into aggression). Originally I was planning on getting a puppy very soon after I settled into the new house (winter) but now I'm starting to think that Summer/Fall litter will work out better. More time will give me a better idea on my schedule, more time to attend trials and try herding with Colton (it will be interesting). Perhaps even join a flyball team with Colton (assuming I get his aggression down). Sadly, my mom has the idea in her head that Border collies need way more exercise than I give Colton (1 hour brisk walk, 2-3 hours play outside). She's hesitant on weither or not I can deal with a dog that (in her mind) needs hours upon hours upon hours of exercise.

Just a suggestion on when to get a pup:

You might want to wait till the summer - or right before you get out. I'm a High School student myself and I got Blaze last April (I got out of school a month later). It worked out REALLY well. I was out of school for almost 3 months and that gave me alot of time to train Blaze and bond with him. Plus, that way, it doesn't dump alot of the puppy raising on your parents - something I didn't want to do and my parents didn't want.

Owning a border collie has been the most frustrating, unnerving, difficult thing I've ever had to do; they are certainly not easy. But its also been the most exciting, fun and rewarding things I've ever done as well! Good luck in your search. :rolleyes:

That is VERY! true. Worth repeating.

This is advice from someone who's probably as old - or older - than your mother. Take it for what it's worth. :rolleyes:

I think that until you are graduated from college and have a steady job and home, you should go easy on any 'permanent' dog ownership. Between the time I was 14 and the time I was 30, I lived in (let's count!)... ten different places from Massachusetts to Alaska. I had bad roommates, lousy roommates, crummy living situations, thin walls, intolerant neighbors, evil landlords, creepy folks in adjoining apartments, financial stress, emotional stress, bad boyfriends, bad jobs, bad cars... Oy!

I honestly don't think it would have been fair to any dog I might have gotten that my life was so transient. I was figuring out how to take care of MYSELF. I was uprooted and rerooted many times while I worked out the best job and location for me.

I guess the main thing is that when you're young, you don't always have the ability to choose what's best for yourself, never mind for another creature. Other people have a big say in what you do and where you go. College, when done well, can be all-consuming, with long hours in classes and at the library, not to mention social life. I'm not sure it's fair to have a dog and all that stress at the same time.

So, I agree and advocate for doing fostering. You'll have lots of time to care for dogs (and kids and whatever else comes along!) in a solid, positive way when you get yourself really settled as an adult. Right now, care for yourself and do what's best for YOU - band and all the HS things you want to do.

Mary

The more thought I put into this the more it makes sense to wait longer than I had first planned. I can get Colton's dog aggression settled, and try herding with him (if you have any tips on sociliazing an aggressive dog please let me know. he hasn't bitten just growls/raises hackles it's because he was attacked and took the fear into aggression).

Is this aggression towards dogs where he hasn't attacked? I thought in your introduction you said he bit one of your brother's friends on the heel, breaking the skin. If he is aggressive to both dogs and people, then you really are being very wise to put off a puppy or second dog for now. Please be sure not to minimize or downplay the aggression. That will not help Colton in the long run. There are lots of dogs out there who are aggressive/reactive. Many of us here have dealt with this problem ourselves. It is important to be very realistic about what you are dealing with. And before putting money into another dog, I very strongly suggest you put it into dealing with Colton's behavior. That means finding a good behaviorist or trainer you can trust who will be there to see what he is doing and help you. Trying to address his issues all by yourself is extremely risky. Internet advice can only go so far. Good luck, but please make sure everything is good and stable with Colton before getting your next dog.

I would put off getting a Border Collie (puppy or otherwise) and work with Colton on getting his shyness and aggression issues resolved.

Having an "issues" dog myself, I harbor no illusions that all these problems can be "cured," but they can definitely be ameliorated to the extent that such a dog can learn to enjoy dog sports and other fun activities. What is more, working with such a dog will teach you WAY more than 10 normal dogs, Border Collie or no, can teach you.

I think it would be worth your while to concentrate on the dog that you have. You say he is too shy and too low drive to do sports, but you may be surprised at what he has under the hood. I hesitate to bring up "Control Unleashed" by Leslie McDevitt, since it is very frequently recommended on this board and I'll sound like a broken record, but it's frequently recommended for a very good reason, and documents the training of a dog that everyone thought would be basically useless for dog sports but turned out to be something quite special thanks to the dedication of his loving owner. She is also someone who wanted a Border Collie but decided to work with the dog she had, and it paid off in spades.

With my own issues dog (who is a Border Collie) I did not feel comfortable adding a second dog to the family until I had worked with the first for quite some time, and then when I did add a dog, I added an adult of excellent temperament and the opposite sex and it worked out wonderfully. I would not have taken a chance on a puppy. The dog I did choose, Fly, is of bombproof temperament and has acted as an important role model for Solo, who takes behavioral cues from Fly in many different contexts and is much more secure when she is around.

I was in graduate school at the time. I don't think college is a very good time to have a dog -- I would have had one if I could have, and I am sure that I would have taken excellent care of it, but I would have missed out on a LOT of fun college stuff. Grad school, on the other hand, is a fantastic time to have dogs since you have no life outside of studying anyway.

You are what, 14? 15? At this time, you really have no concrete idea what your plans for college are (you may or may not go near home, your sister may or may not go to the same school as you, you may or may not live together, you may or may not live in a house), and there are so many fun opportunities between now and then, like band, that have nothing to do with dogs. I know I was really quite overbooked in high school, and spent most of my days getting home after 6 PM due to extracurricular activities (school newspaper, various clubs, cheerleading). I wanted a dog very, very badly but it would have been very, very difficult and I ended up going to school out of state because it was an opportunity that was too good to pass up. What would have happened to my dog then? If your parents don't really want another dog, especially a Border Collie, for their own sake, if I were you, I'd wait.

I have three Border Collies now, one of whom is a pup just one year old. I would not say she has an over the top energy level, as she has an excellent off switch, but she gets plenty of mental stimulation and physical exercise. Compared to other breeds I would say that Border Collies are higher maintenance, because they get bored easily, and want very much to do things with their people, and are pretty bad at amusing themselves (or choose bad activities to amuse themselves with). Think about what they're bred to do. My husband had dogs (not Border Collies) for most of his life and raised a Lab puppy as an adult, and considers my Border Collies to be extremely high maintenance just because they are in our faces all the time and because when they are bored it is so incredibly obvious. They are really, really intelligent and always waiting for something interesting to happen. I can tell you that when I am busy, their boredness is a source of incredible guilt for me. You can just see their brains melting.

Seriously, I would wait. Or, if you cannot be deterred, at least make sure that your parents really want another dog if the worst case scenario occurs and you can't take the Border Collie to college with you. And please do, for Colton's sake, be open to the idea of an adult with a known temperament rather than a puppy.

I'll have to second what Melanie said. and then some!

As a breeder who cares about the future of my pups, I would *not* sell you a puppy. Not because you are a bad person or a bad home, but because there are too many known uncertainties going to happen in your life in the next 5 years. Many of which could negatively affect the pup during the years it needs to learn the right things the most.

Having been there :rolleyes: ,age 15-20 is tough. If you're parents were BC ready and this was a *family* dog then it might be worth considering. If you didn't already have an "issues" dog it would change things too.

But the reality is the opposite, isn't it.....?

If you must get another dog, get an adult that you are sure your parents/family can handle, and handle willingly with *pleasure*, when you can't during the next few years. Enjoy your current dog, enjoy college, and then when things smooth into grad school or job then you can revisit the idea of getting a BC puppy.

The experience will be all the sweeter if you wait until it's right.

As far as Colton goes it really sounds like I failed him. I explained the biting brother's friend and it wasn't his fault (they provocked/taught the behavior to him). He is completely fine with all other people, accepting, loving and as a dog trainer put it who met him a big sweetie.

When I got Colton I wanted to keep him socialized and being a Rottweiler they have a tendency to pick up aggressive habits quickly. I started taking him to the dogpark for 7 months it went excellently. One day a mastiff was in the park I didn't think anything of it because Colton played fine with a mastiff (Kane) who frequented the park. Colton was in the park for maybe 10 minutes when the dog attacked him. This scared Colton and I immediatly leashed him and left not wanting to wait for it to happen again.

My Mother's two female dogs are dog aggressive due to lack of socilization (she got them when I was 7 didn't know about dog socialiazing wasn't really interested in much more than Sponge Bob). Since Colton got attacked he took his fear into aggressioin and has also picked up leash aggression from the two females (posturing/hackles raised/growling and barking).

He has never bitten and when the energy level is fine in the dogpark I can take him in and not worry it's just he is really bad on leash. I looked into training facilities in Indiana (moving up there) and emailed the owner asking about "growl classes" (help dog aggressive dogs tolerate other dogs). Hopefully we'll be starting there once the move is setteld.

I am going to wait to add a BC (or whatever breed) until Colton's dog issues are settled. On the plus side his 'off' training is phenomenal and he's willing to work (just not super smart). I found a carting class I would like to take with him time permitted.

I am going to wait to add a BC (or whatever breed) until Colton's dog issues are settled. On the plus side his 'off' training is phenomenal and he's willing to work (just not super smart). I found a carting class I would like to take with him time permitted.

I think waiting is an excellent idea. What you learn with Colton will only make it better and easier to raise another dog later.

That said...if you were close to me we'd be seriously talking about if the BC/Rottie mix I fostered temporarily would be for you. :rolleyes: