BC Boards

What's the difference

What's the difference or is there between buying a horse and buying a dog?

Most people who purchase a horse buy a particular one for a particular reason. They do their best to asses the horse for that purpose. Sometimes it doesn't work out the way they had hoped or planned, or the person's lifestyle changes and they can no longer facilitate the horses needs, or the person's needs/situation has changed. Sometimes, people simply 'outgrow' the horse and it's capabilities (or the horse was too much for them to begin with) So, the person puts the horse up for sale. Never is the person chidded for 'getting rid' of the horse by anyone.

Now on this board, I've read numerous times from folks chidding others for having gotten rid or are trying to get rid of a dog that has not worked out for that person. Either because their lifestyle changed (ie. wanted to do more traveling) or the dog proved to be too much (common w/ BCs). Sometimes the dog itself has many issues/habits which are difficult to deal with/control.

Many on this board have stated that having a dog is a lifetime commitment and that the person should figure out a way to keep the dog.

How is owning a dog a 'lifetime' commitment and owning a horse isn't considered one? Is is because owning a horse is so much more expensive and involved (ie. paying board, owning barn/pasture, shoeing, tack, etc) and therefore viewed as more of hardship to keep a horse you won't really use? But a dog is a much simpler pet then a horse - so people should just find a way to work it out with the dog?

Or do people who have said dogs are a lifetime commitment (pretty much w/out exception) on this board think that if you buy a horse, you keep it forever too?

I currently own 1 horse and 2 dogs and have owned a total (inclusive of current) of 5 horses and 7 dogs in the last 5 years. Only my first horse had to be put to sleep due to illness. All the other creatures did not work out for our family for one reason or another - and while I am an animal lover, I feel both myself and those creatures have better lives because we are no longer together.

Your thoughts.

interesting.

When I think of getting a horse I think you should indeed do the same (or more, because like you said, a horse is more work then a dog) research and find the right horse for the right situtation.

And yet, if someone needs to give up the horse it just doesn't usually seem the same as giving up a dog. I think that this is because of how much work a horse takes and how much it costs. So when people get older, or find a spouse, have to move because of a job, money issues, etc - those are all things that make having a horse very difficult or even impossible, while with a dog, most of those situations could still work with a dog. So a horse has more working against them already.

I wish it wasn't like that though because more and more people might think that getting a horse and then getting rid of the horse a few years later is a fine thing to do. :rolleyes: And it isn't in my opinion. I think that a horse SHOULD be thought of as a lifetime commitment as well as dogs and cats.

So I guess that I would be one who thinks a horse should be kept forever, BUT with dogs a lot are put in rescue because it didn't work out and after awhile the owner found out that it wasn't a perfect match. I have nothing wrong with people who "get rid of" a dog as long as it is for a good reason - so I wouldn't have a problem with horse people either as long as it is for good reasons, but it should be thought of as a lfietime commitment all the same - same as dogs. That is my kind of complicated opinion anyway.

I think having a dog is a lifetime commitment but, *if the dog will benefit* from being rehomed (not dumped) or there is an honest reason why that dog can't remain in its current home (and the problem can't be solved reasonably) then rehoming or another "solution" to the problem may be the best resolution for *all* concerned.

Part of the "lifetime" aspect is to provide a suitable situation for the dog for its lifetime, and that may not be with its current owner/family/situation.

As for horses, every one we've ever owned is still with us (or has lived out its days with us). We have, however, a farm and can manage to do this. I know not everyone can. We've also had dairy goats in the past and every one of those lived out their days with us.

I don't have a problem with a person finding a new owner for a horse that doesn't suit the person's needs, etc., but it should be done with the future of the horse taken into consideration in finding a good placement for the horse. I feel the same way about dogs, particularly dogs that fulfill a working purpose - if the dog isn't suitable for the job/family/handler, rehoming is an option if a suitable situation can be found.

Horses are herd animals but they aren't pack animals like dogs, and I think they adjust better to new situations.

Just my opinions.

I have a friend who has two rescue horses. She got each because the owner was not willing to find a new home. I believe the first was to be "turned into dogfood" because it was too old to be fun (sh'e been enjoying that one for over 5 years now).

She also said that se decided to be willing to take a second because horses do get lonesome alone. They don't need a pack, but they do need friends. They are herd animals.

I have never re homed a dog but i know dogs that have been and Imust say they are doing fine, The ones that are doing fine came from loving homes and went to loving homes.

I think for most of us its an emotional issue. But i know if my dogs were re homed with someone that loved and wanted to work (PLay) with them they would be fine .

I think horses are such a large purchase that it's a different mindset *many* people go into with. So many people buy a dog out of impulse - they're cheap, and abundant. And so they are frequently dumped for minor reasons.

Horses, because of the huge investment and requirements, takes a lot more commitment and planning.

I think if a horse was taken out into the country and shot (or dumped) people would be just as unhappy.

It is an interseting thought, though, when you compare them. I know if I ever had to give up Zeeke (like if something happened to my husband, god forbid) 1) I'd feel horribly guilty about it and 2) I'd probably get lambasted from some people for it, even though he doesn't thrive very well with me at all and he is certainly not a match for me or my lifestyle (and I'd never just dump him at a shelter or anything!).

I think the difference is that horses aren't really considered pets in the same way dogs (and cats) are. Horses generally are not *companion* animals. That said, many people get horses, consider them pets, and keep them for a lifetime, but in general, the horse owning community is more inclined to view horses as livestock and not the same as the pets that they take into their homes. (Okay, the Bedouins and some other similar horse-based cultures might be the exception to this "rule," but you get the idea.)

Also, it's *much easier* to buy a dog on impulse (after seeing a movie, for example) than it is to buy a horse. Most people (and I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions to this generalization as well) can't just go out and buy a horse and plop it in the back yard as they can do with a dog and then regret it later. It's harder to get a horse, house it, etc., which means most folks are researching up front and know what they are getting in to (in other words, they have prepared in advance). Because people buy dogs on impulse or fail to research properly before getting a particular breed, I think other people (those who did do their research and buy responsibly) feel more inclined to criticize when the irresponsible person decides to give the dog up. In general, horses aren't bought with the same ease, and the horse culture is much more accepting of moving horses on to new homes--which is usually being done for reasons other than "oops! I made a mistake!"

For example, I use to show horses for a woman who had post polio syndrome. She loved to ride on the trail and at home, but had to have a horse who was completely steady. I was the "tester" and trainer. We had one little Crabbet-bred Arabian named Mistral. He was a lovely little horse, but I nicknamed him Scooter because every once in a while he would take it in his head to shy for no apparent reason. At least one of those times was as I was mounting him at a show. Not a big problem for me, who is able bodied and a good rider, but a HUGE, life-threatening problem for his owner, who had little use of her legs, and especially needed a horse who would stand stock still at the mounting block, where she could literally take minutes getting on or off, depending on how cooperative her legs were being that day. Although I enjoyed that little horse, we had to move him on because he was unsafe for his owner. He may never have shied with her, as it seemed to be completely random, but we couldn't take that chance. Those are the kinds of unsuitabilities you see in horses. Most of the time, a dog that isn't trained or socialized properly isn't quite in the same category as an unsuitable horse. I'm not sure I'm making sense with this argument, but I'm sure someone will point it out if I'm not.

Expense of keeping horses may also have something to do with it--I do know a few people who had to give up their beloved horses when their financial circumstances changed, while still being able to hang on to the family pets. For myself, if I had a horse that was completely unsuitable for me for whatever reason, then I wouldn't feel horrible about selling it (though I'd always wonder if it was doing okay years down the road) to someone for whom it was suitable, perhaps so I could find a horse appropriate for me. I think the same would (and does) hold true with a working dog. But pets don't fall into that category.

Natalie,

Zeeke is something of a special case. He's not a dog you chose, and he's not a dog you feel capable of handling. There would be no shame in rehoming him if something happened to your husband. If you were to decide that you didn't want Zoe any more, I would feel differently about that than I would about you rehoming a dog that wasn't really yours in the first place.

My more than two cents....

J.

Often those unwanted horses end up at the slaughter houses, which is not a pretty site!. I have heard too many sad stories about "impulse" bought horses. It does happen, but not as often, thankfully. When we sell either horses or puppies, we make sure that the animal is not an impulse buy, and that the owners have some sense at least.

With dogs I've heard "well they are just not right" only to find out later those people redecorated and the long haired dog they liked, well the hair did not match the new look. Believe it or not, something similiar happens with horses. People will breed horses, and suddenly dump most of their herd, because the owners decided that they wanted to breed something else! Others?... "oooooh it was a race horse, Herbie, we MUST have it". Only 3 months later to sell the animal because they had no clue a race horse could be a handful. Or that Christmas puppy or pony, Who later is gotten rid of. God save us all from Holiday pet buyers.

I can say as a horse rescuer, that people do NOT consider horses as pets. Otherwise the law would forbid horse slaughter! Some of these unlucky horses have ended up with me. For that matter, many of these unlucky dogs have ended up with me.

Often a horse or a show dog will end up in someone's hands as a "trophy". "Oh Joan, I just bought the best bred (horse or puppy)" In some areas these animals are a status symbol and not a friend as they were meant to be.

On another note..anyone who thinks a horse does not need companionship needs to rethink things. A herd is the same as a pack. I have seen horses who have been kept to themselves, and believe me, in a lot of cases they have issues. Every one of our 14 horses, is always with another horse. Do you know there is even an Alpha male and alpha female in horses? If not come see our herd!

Bottom line..horses and dogs are not disposable commodities. They are friends. Yes sometimes an animal does not work out. When that happens the dog or the horse SHOULD be rehomed. Not only for the owners sake but for that of the animal's. All I ever ask is that people make sure that the animal goes somewhere suitable.

Ok jumping off my soapbox

Dianne & Collin

Alberta Winds Quarter Horses & Paints

I think rehoming a horse or dog because the animal benefits is fine but rehoming a horse or dog (or any animal) because all of a sudden it doesn't fit in with the lifestyle, is wrong.

Granted, horses are expensive to keep and life can throw us some curves, so to every rule there is an exception, but I do think they are bought and sold with much too much comodity. As if they don't have feelings which is very far from the truth.

But because they are exepnsive, to buy and to keep, people should think that much further ahead. As a young and quite honestly, much less thoughtful, adult, I rehomed a couple horses because I wanted something different. As an older adult, I find myself distasteful in that regard. I would never do it now. The three I have are a lifetime commitment, same as the dogs, birds etc etc.

If you think about the horse trade, they're basically perpetually in rescue, bouncing from one place to another and often times on a whim. Nothing about that is fine.

Maria

I would think that the MAJORITY of people that purchase a horse would, if the animal where no longer suited for current needs or the owners ability to care for it, be more prone to attempt to sell rather than just dump. Notice that I did not say that it never happens. It is far more easier to simply open the gate or door and have a dog accidently escape. Dogs are a dime a dozen you can simply toss the one you dont want and get another over and over until you find the one you want.

Originally posted by Kyrasmom:

I think rehoming a horse or dog because the animal benefits is fine but rehoming a horse or dog (or any animal) because all of a sudden it doesn't fit in with the lifestyle, is wrong.

Maria

I think the reasons for needing to rehome are the most important factor.

Example: You live in a neighborhood that allows horses. The money earner in the household looses their job and the job available requires a move to a location where you cannot or are not financially able to keep the horse. Is it wrong to sell the horse and move or should you keep the horse and stay risking defalt on your mortgage?

Example: You are no longer physically able to ride the young horse you bought; should you keep the horse never riding it again or sell it to someone you can and will ride?

Mark

Originally posted by Pipedream Farm:

quote:

Maria

I think the reasons for needing to rehome are the most important factor.

Example: You live in a neighborhood that allows horses. The money earner in the household looses their job and the job available requires a move to a location where you cannot or are not financially able to keep the horse. Is it wrong to sell the horse and move or should you keep the horse and stay risking defalt on your mortgage?

Example: You are no longer physically able to ride the young horse you bought; should you keep the horse never riding it again or sell it to someone you can and will ride?

Mark

Mark,

If you read my post including the part where life does throw us the occasional unexpected curve...of course there can be legitimate necessity but if one makes a truly thorough choice before buying a horse, they're at a minimum.

For example, if someone is injured and can no longer ride, by all means they should find a good home for the animal where he will be happy and exercised properly. But if a person buys "too much horse" for themself thinking they'll catch up, and then sell at the horses expense, that's just wrong and proof that they didn't think. Buying a young horse without the background knowledge to train it correctly (or have funds for a trainer) is a bad choice. It doesn't mean the horse being sold may not be better off, but it also doesn't change that the buyer did not think before buying.

And you know, people complain about rescue dogs carrying baggage, every time you purchase a horse you get just as much if not more baggage with an animal that is a "flight animal" to boot. And this is in the purchase of a well-bred horse as much as in the adoption of a rescue horse.

And I've never personally rid myself of an animal for financial reasons, not because I've not been in trouble, I just did without other things and had the good luck of getting by. But again, if it's unexpected and you've got a mortgage to pay, by all means, do what's right by your family, but a lot of people over-extend themselves to begin with. Horses are expensive, their vet bills are expensive, if you can't think ahead financially in a way that includes them, then it's better that you see about a partial lease, or offer to exercise horses. There are ways to ride that are not expensive and don't bear the responsibility of ownership.

Classic example of rushing into a buy at my stable, 10 year old little (also physically small) girl has been doing GREAT on school horses and ponies. Great little rider. Great little seat. It's time to buy her a horse...so what does the family choose, a gorgeous 16.5 hand 4 year old who was barely gelded and had lots of attitude. Why?? Because he was gorgeous. It was a train wreck just waiting to happen. It was an irresponsible choice and now the horse has been rehomed and the little girl has had to start over working with ponies to get over fear issues. It's just stupid. And the horse, while he'll most likely be fine, had to go through a change in ownership, change in state, change of lifestyle. The fault lies as much with the buyer as with the seller. Why can't people just stop and think once in a while?

Maria

What's the difference or is there between buying a horse and buying a dog?
Of course each individual transaction would have its own unique set of curcumstances but my broad brush answer to this question would be,,

The difference between buying a horse and a dog in regards to the overall scope of human endeavor is that a "horse" is generally concidered "livestock" whereas a "dog" is generally concidered a "pet"

livestock (n.) Domestic animals, such as cattle or horses, raised for home use or for profit, especially on a farm.

pet (n.) An animal kept for amusement or companionship

Now these definitions are interchangeable depending on the circumstances,but taken in the big picture IMO they still basically hold true,although horses have over the past century been moving more towards the "pet" classification.

I believe what is paramount in regards to the exchanging of an animal,be it for profit or for some other reason is that a proper degree of welfare and respect is assigned to the animal as a priority to the transaction.

Maria,

Your points are well taken, but I still think that it's much more difficult to go get oneself a horse, in general, than it is to get a dog. Your average apartment/city dweller can get a dog, not so a horse. Yes, there are stupid people out there who buy horses for stupid reasons or just get the wrong horse, as in your example, but it's still not as *easy* to do, nor are horses as easy to dump, as it is with a dog or other small animal.

The little girl is not the first child to be overfaced with too much horse by overzealous parents, but did the horse suffer for his resale? Or did he get himself an appropriate rider who could use him to his potential? Did his brief ownership by a too-young rider harm him? I doubt it, unless that rider was also abusive or neglectful or something.

No one is saying that people don't get horses for the wrong reasons, or that people always find suitable good homes for them when they must sell them. What we are saying is that it's not as *easy* to get a horse as it is a dog, nor is it as *easy* to dump a horse as it is a dog. Sure both can be done, but it's not as *easy.*

J.

Maria,

I read your post and this thread, and your post (as I read it) sounded like a broad sweeping generalization where you condem most people for placing (selling) an animal. As I stated above, it all depends upon each person's situation. It would be unfair to pass judgement without knowing the specifics.

Ok, you buy a working bred pup and raise it only to find it's way too much dog for you to handle and it's very talented (based upon knowledgeable handlers). What do you do? Keep the dog, allowing it to get away with things because you cannot handle it, stop working it, or sell it to someone who wants the dog and will be able to handle it?

This scenario can be told in many ways; all these boil down to the dog and handler do not make a good team where the dog and handler are both unhappy, and stressed, while working.

Mark

Mark, you're incorrect in your interpretation of what I wrote. I simply think that any choice should be thought out before the fact and that in today's throwaway society, a lot of people act first, think later, and then take the easy way out. And I know what I'm talking about becuase I did the very same thing, I wanted a faster horse, a prettier horse, a younger horse.

If you look at horse sale ads, sooo many of them are "just don't have time?" So, I ask, what happened to the time you had when you purchased the horse? The truth of the matter is that the vast majority of "don't have time to care for him properly" are people who didn't think before getting a horse to begin with and they no longer make time for THAT horse.

And you're correct in thinking that horses are not as easy as dogs to get/dump etc etc but I believe the original poster was asking if there is a difference in the type of commitment there should be with horses than with dogs. And in my opinion, it should be a similar commitment. Don't get a horse on impulse, don't get a horse you can't manage, don't get a horse you can't afford. Plan to have the horse forever keeping in mind a horse needs food, shelter, vets, farrier, worming. And if life throws you a curve ball, do the best you can by him.

Substitute dog for horse, exclude the farrier, and I feel the same way. I've had numerous people ask me for help in rehoming their pets because life changed for them somehow, and I always do it. I don't judge them. I help them. But if someone comes to me and wants to rehome their dog because he runs up and down the fence line because he's bored out of his head, and screws up their landscaping, and they don't have time to do anything because he's not a cute puppy anymore, I still help them, well actually I help the dog, and think what you may about me, I do judge them, and not in a good way. And I suggest that their next pet be a rock.

Also, horses are not as readily dumped because people want to recoup their initial investment or make a buck. As for the four year old that was rehomed, he probably wasn't the worse for wear BUT it is still very stressful for a horse to be moved around multiple times in a month just because people don't think. And just because horses don't emote in the way dogs do, it doesn't mean they're not feeling the pressure of our decisions. I just don't see why it should somehow be acceptable to buy/sell a horse much in the way a person buys/sells a car.

Maria

PS: We can both come up with hypothetical scenarios to prove both our points all day but what I'm saying and what you're saying are two different things. Some choices are made by thoughtful people and they don't work out despite our/their best efforts but many more choices are just badly made. No excuses.

Thank you all for your responses.

I asked because many people on this board do pass 'broad sweeping' judgement on those who have given/give up their BCs and I guess when I read people have given up their pets and the reason isn't alway identified, it doesn't mean that it wasn't a good reason. Or people jump on a person who comes here and says they've tried everything and most persuade them to keep the dog and try harder.

Well maybe they have but like me love the animal and don't want to rehome it, but if I came here for some last minute help or thoughts or a push, I wouldn't want you to automatically tell me to just keep the dog because it's a 'lifetime' commitment. After perhaps questioning me, getting some answers, I would think you would feel it was ok to tell me to rehome the dog, just like you would tell someone NOT to get a BC because what they describe as their lifestyle wouldn't fit a BC.

I guess I tend to play devil's advocate a lot and try to see the otherside if needed. And I think it would be just as wrong to tell someone to keep a dog they couldn't handle (emotionally, training-wise, etc) as it would be to not tell someone who wants to keep a BC tied in their backyard as strictly a guarddog that they shouldn't get one (for example).

As for myself, I have kept the one horse who over the years became arthritic (unridable) and is kinda snotty (Arab) so is not ideally placeable even as a companion horse. I will provide her a home as long as I am able - and she is not entirely alone, the ajoining fenceline owner has several horses she touches noses with.

I do not plan on rehoming my dog I've had for 5 years, nor my BC River. I don't see it in either of their futures.

But every animal I listed in my opening post was rehomed with love and regret that it was not 'meant to be' and was never 'dumped'. In all honesty, I feel that I was more of a foster home to those animals as I trained the dogs basic commands, gave them vet care, and gave full disclosure about them - vet care for the horses (two much needed). Maybe I am just trying to make myself feel better about calling myself a foster, but isn't that what it really is? I thought those animals would be here forever. I planned for it to be, but each had reasons for not staying - and I do hope they have wonderful homes now. I do think of them.

RaisingRiver, Personally, when someone comes to me to rehome their dog, unless it's a training issue that they need help with, I never try to talk them into keeping it. Once rehoming is an option to them, it's the most viable option for me.

I do believe it's a lifetime commitment, but the keyword is commitment, and if that commitment is not there for whatever reason (right or wrong) then that animal needs to be moved.

Maria

Maria,

Your points can apply to anything people want--animate or inanimate. Yes, we are in general a throwaway society. But I still don't think livestock ares the same as companion animals. Yes, horses, sheep, cattle, etc., would be happier if they could stay forever with their home herd and, in the case of some of them, interact with their original people. But I still don't think that people go into the purchase of a large and generally expensive animal like a horse with quite the same cavalier attitude they take toward smaller, cheaper, easier to procure animals. Getting animals for the wrong reasons, and getting rid of them when they become inconvenient is never right in a moral sense, but I'm sure there are plenty of times when the *animal* may be better off for having been gotten rid of (that is, the animal ends up in a more suitable place).

Animals, marriages, children, careers, and many things in life require commitment--we all know and understand that. Unfortunately, not everyone has the same level of commitment, and not everyone is in a position to follow through on their commitments.

Raising River's actual question was "what's the difference between buying a horse and buying a dog?" I stated that it takes a lot more forethought and financial capability to get a horse than it does to get a dog. That doesn't mean everyone who gets a horse (or dog) thought it through properly, but I really do believe that *in general* getting a horse does require more preparation than getting a dog. Likewise getting rid of a horse.

J.

I only read the OP... That's just FYI. :rolleyes: I'll read the rest later but wanted to comment.

I have had horses for 26 years. I have lots of experience with horses. I've had dogs for nearly 3 years.

Ponies are more appropriate for children, and children grow up and get taller and no longer fit the pony, so they let the pony move onto the next child and they get a bigger horse, though probably still pretty calm and fairly well trained. They then outgrow that and want something with a bit more zip or a bit more ability, and they move on again.

Also, the horse population does not explode if two horses get out and one gets pregnant. Usually the horses are caught again and whatever foal is the result can be trained for some purpose and likely won't produce 50 unwanted foals. That is just part of the issue, of course. A horse will be moved from one home to another and likely will settle in just fine right away. A dog is rarely moved from a new home to a new home because there are shelters and there are so many more dogs out there than horses. The mere size of a horse means it will not be roaming the neighborhood unattended or be ridden untrained.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

Originally posted by juliepoudrier:

Maria,

Animals, marriages, children, careers, and many things in life require commitment--we all know and understand that. Unfortunately, not everyone has the same level of commitment, and not everyone is in a position to follow through on their commitments.

Of course, that's why there is more than one opinion, more than one right answer. I answered the question based on my beliefs and experiences and my own level of commitment as I've grown and learned through my mistakes/choices.

I made some bad choices, as I've said, that I didn't even question until I was much older, but now instead of justifying them, I simply own them.

Maria

On another note..anyone who thinks a horse does not need companionship needs to rethink things. A herd is the same as a pack. I have seen horses who have been kept to themselves, and believe me, in a lot of cases they have issues.
Funny that you mention this...My ex next door neighbor used to have a horse that did not tolerate dogs in the least. He was a VERY friendly horse w/ people but his size could be intimidating. She would have to take trips back home which would keep her away for a few days at a time and ask my son and I to feed up for her while she was gone. This horse got so lonesome when she was gone, that he would literally stay on the side of the field where our property bordered hers and keep the dogs company when they were outside. Of course they wanted to herd Buck, and had they been in the field w/ him it would have made for a disastrous situation. But he was willing to take the companionship of two animals that he generally disliked over being lonely anyday when his owner was away.

Nicki..Exactly Any horse needs a friend. I have seen the rare horse who is antisocial and a danger to others, but baring that rarity, the horse herd mentality is just like a dog's pack society.

I've also seen what odd companions a horse can have. ei a goat, cat, dog, llama, etc. lol

Dianne

Alberta Winds Quarter Horses & Paints.

I made some bad choices, as I've said, that I didn't even question until I was much older, but now instead of justifying them, I simply own them.

Maria

Maria,

My point (and I believe Mark's point as well) is that while you consider having sold your former horses as a bad choice and as now unjustifiable, you can't project those feelings onto other people's decisions to sell their horses. I understand that you feel bad about your past choices and are sorry you made those choices, but that's a personal thing and does't apply to every other situation in which a horse may be sold. That's what I've been trying to point out. The pony I learned to ride on taught other children to ride as well. I personally see no harm in the fact the he went on to other children after I outgrew him. You may feel otherwise. But as you said, "Of course, that's why there is more than one opinion, more than one right answer." What I object to is that even though you made the statement I quoted, you still seem to be judging other people based on your personal beliefs, by saying that people who sell horses on lack commitment that they should have toward that animal. But maybe I'm just misunderstanding you.

J.

Julie,

It's a normal progression to need a different horse as you grow up, because otherwise we'd look pretty funny riding a Shetland Pony at 40. And to some extent you are misunderstanding, throughout this thread and I can't fathom why it's being skipped, I've said there are right reasons to sells or motives to sell a horse.

But for some (more than you may think) it really does become like a car, I want a Palomino, no wait, a Morgan, ohh..but that little chestnut is cute. OR the teenager finally progressing to a large horse who goes off to college the next year. Not to mention the endless horse "trading" as you give up one for another just because you can and these don't necessarily go to owners, they go to brokers.

It's the mindset that boggles me, mostly because it was my own. When I purchased my first foal I gave up one of the best horses I've ever ridden, who taught me everything, from walking on a trail to three day eventing to being the only performance horse who could be on a long rein and stand while a stampede of riders galloped by. I did it without a second thought because I was thinking only of the new horse and I didn't even put much thought into where the old-timer went. I knew the people and they were fine but I never once stopped to think. And now, that is questionable to me. And I see a lot of people doing just that. This "it's all about me" mentality is very much in vogue.

So, for the last time, thoughtful choices that include the well being of the horse = good. Impuse choices thinking only of ones self = bad.

I realize that a horse is classified as livestock and thus seemingly interchangeable at the whim of a hanlder for some but for me, and I hope for many, they've become a trusted companion, a friend whose trust and respect I have to earn.

Maria