BC Boards

Stick: 1, Skye: 0

Here's to a smooth & speedy recovery for Skye.

I came home once to find my Lu (the mutt) with a 3-4" gash in her stomach. Still have no idea what it was from- she'd been in the yard all day. At first I thought the blood was from the BC, who was far more accident prone. Luckily, Lu's floppy boobs saved her- only tore skin & fat.

Tell Skye she's not alone, and no more pointy sticks!

So true. Sophie once poked her eye out with a kayak.

Talk about random...

Hope Skye is feeling better soon!

Poked her eye out with a kayak??!! Ouucchhhie! That sounds really painful!

What was that d*mn kayak up to?

Skye's got one of my t-shirts half on, half off, and is lying on her favourite loveseat for the night. I hand-fed her some kibble and DH gave her some pieces of beef stew before bed. I'll be going to bed now on the other couch. Wish my neck and back luck.

Good night everyone and happy election! What a speech eh? And Obama's was no slouch either :rolleyes:

Ailsa

Poked her eye out with a kayak??!! Ouucchhhie! That sounds really painful!

What was that d*mn kayak up to?

Yeah, I joke about it now, but it wasn't so funny at the time. She was chasing a cat or a squirrel (it was late at night and we'd just let all the dogs out). She crashed into the bow of a pointy wooden sea kayak lying against the house and the impact pushed her eye out of its socket. The emergency vets were able to save her eye, but she can't see much out of it. They had to cut a small part of her socket to be able to reduce it and it's a teeny bit cloudy now. It's her left eye; you can see how it's a bit bigger than the right eye in my signature pic.

Skye's got one of my t-shirts half on, half off, and is lying on her favourite loveseat for the night. I hand-fed her some kibble and DH gave her some pieces of beef stew before bed. I'll be going to bed now on the other couch. Wish my neck and back luck.

Ah, sounds like she's doing fine. But I don't envy you a night on the couch!

Good night everyone and happy election!

Woo hoo!

...She crashed into the bow of a pointy wooden sea kayak lying against the house and the impact pushed her eye out of its socket. The emergency vets were able to save her eye, but she can't see much out of it. They had to cut a small part of her socket to be able to reduce it and it's a teeny bit cloudy now. It's her left eye; you can see how it's a bit bigger than the right eye in my signature pic.

Boy Laura that sounds like it was awful and potentially very tragic. I would have been a basketcase if it had happened to Skye. I'm glad Sophie made it through and I feel grateful that Skye will be ok. The vet phoned just now to check up on her and reiterated that the wound was very deep and they were concerned it might have punctured a muscle or major nerve, but it apparently went in at just the right angle to avoid this. She is such a soft girl that I took her cone off last night and put an undershirt tee on her to keep her from licking. She was much happier without the cone of silence. The drain is allowing alot of ooze to come out of the wound and after I took her out for a slow walk around the block, I noticed a drop of blood on her foot, so I think we overdid it :rolleyes: . But she did pee. She even ventured upstairs with me when I needed to "spend a penny." I think I'll nap in a real bed when DH comes home.

What we do for our best friends.

Ailsa

When I need to keep a dog from licking or chewing, it is easy to make a comfortable restriction. I got about 8 or 10 inch wide (depends on the length of neck)strip of firm foam, and wrapped it around the dogs neck behind the jaw, and then used duct tape to keep it attached. Easy to adjust. With thinner foam, I just continued to wrap layers of the foam until it was firm.The foam padding is soft and comfortable, and keeps the dog from bending the neck very far. but they can see, go through doorways, and eat/drink easily. The front feet, you would need a cone, but for the elbow area, back leg etc, no problem.

When I need to keep a dog from licking or chewing, it is easy to make a comfortable restriction. I got about 8 or 10 inch wide (depends on the length of neck)strip of firm foam, and wrapped it around the dogs neck behind the jaw, and then used duct tape to keep it attached. Easy to adjust. With thinner foam, I just continued to wrap layers of the foam until it was firm.The foam padding is soft and comfortable, and keeps the dog from bending the neck very far. but they can see, go through doorways, and eat/drink easily. The front feet, you would need a cone, but for the elbow area, back leg etc, no problem.

That is ingenious Trailrider :rolleyes: . Of course, operating on less than a few hours of sleep (and sore neck and back -- ouch!) I was barely able today to change her t-shirt for a new one with her stepping into and then out of, and then tripping and then putting both feet into the same hole -- then me chasing her and her wedging herself up against the couch and me cursing to myself -- this can't be rocket science after all! Geez just like the keystone cops ... your solution sounds much more civilized! So if I can get more sleep tonight and go out and get some foam tomorrow, we'll be all set.

Ailsa

The donut collar I had for Buddy came from Petco... I had wanted the No-Bite collar, but the local vet who sold it would only sell to his own patients, not to random people off the street. (?) So, I ran to Petco, crossing my fingers they'd have something better than the E-Collar, and they did.

My neighbor just had ACL surgery for her lab, and she also has the donut... seems to have worked for both of us, with both those odd injuries. I'm keeping mine on hand, just in case!

Mary

Ugh these "Random Acts of Ow" always suck; we've had a couple.. slippery deck last year gave Shadow a dislocated hip, before we got one of our cats he managed to get a stick impaled under the skin of hs front leg (3 inches long, all under the skin), and the worst of all: my sisters lab/collie mix was running through a field and found a random piece or rebar, which literally gutted her, we had to stuff her intestines back inside and rush her to the vet... ugh... that was terrifying. 8 inch gash in her belly, makes me shudder all over to remember it.

I'm glad Skye is doing better, poor girl, I know exactly how you feel; all nerves and worry for you poor girl, Shadow just lost a tooth and I feel the same. I have a crummy exam tomorrow and shes home for 8 hours all alone! =(

*hugs and Shadow kisses for Skye*

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ailsa

First reply disappeared into the ether! As you know, I've only just seen this - I hope Skye is much improved by now - how is she doing? The injury sounds very nasty and I am sure you were frantic with worry. I hope too that your neck and back did not suffer too much from your night(s) on the sofa.

Random Acts of Ow = another Mr Snappy classic. And I'll remember that tip about foam round the neck.

Hugs to you both

Elizabeth

Thanks Elizabeth. Skye is doing much better now and stitches come out soon. :D

Thought I'd present a chronology of events for those who haven't had any surgery and post-surgery experience with their creatures. It might be useful letting you know how healing, medication, condition etc. proceeds over time.

4 Nov Tuesday:

8:00 a.m. -- injury happens

8:30 a.m. -- vet inspection confirms deep puncture wound requiring surgery; vet suggests we wait for surgery opening at home where Skye is clearly more comfortable and secure

8:30 - 12:00 -- at home, waiting for call into emergency surgery

12:30 p.m. -- drop off for emergency surgery

6:30 p.m. -- pick up with Elizabethan collar; very groggy, unsteady on feet, glazed eyes (unable to quickly focus or easily recognize us by sight making our voices very important); vet tech explains post-op care; no major nerves, muscles or organs damaged; drain allowing excess liquids to exit swollen wound area

7 p.m. -- first dose of Clavamox (antibiotic) http://www.camroseanimalclinic.ca/clavamox.html and Metronidazole (for the prevention of diarrhea) http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=...59&aid=1442 ) - each twice a day with food, 10-day course

7 p.m. onwards -- no food, slept downstairs

5 Nov Wednesday:

Ate regular small meals, but still lethargic & groggy, walked twice a day to the end of block and back. No urination or poop.

Started Metacam (pain-killer, anti-inflammatory) http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1752 , 4-day course, every 24 hours with food

Replaced collar with t-shirt; drain working (yeck); appears to hate us

Slept downstairs.

6 Nov Thursday:

First pee.

Walked around the block, twice a day. Drain still working. Some residual bleeding from wound.

Eating regular small meals.

Drinking lots of water (prefers pond water :rolleyes: ); starts warming up to us again; but still stares with a certain amount of reproach

Slept downstairs.

7 Nov Friday:

Evening -- first poop.

Walked around block, twice a day.

Now eating regularly. Much better spirits; presents toys :D ; consents to doggie massage with a smile

Came upstairs to sleep; lifted onto bed ( :D ).

8 Nov Saturday:

To vets for drain removal. Jumped into car :D ; lifted out.

Wound still oozing; very apologetic for previous kissing-off

Walking further everyday.

11 Nov Tuesday:

Continued leash walking up to 1/2 hr each outing, several times a day.

Back to 2 poops daily.

Jumping on and off bed; loves us again

12 Nov Wednesday:

Leash walks up to 1 hour each. Totally back to normal personality - happy and alert. Really wants to run and play. Grabs sticks (!!!) - clearly hasn't learned.

14 Nov Friday:

Took t-shirt off; doesn't bother with sutures or wound when reminded to leave it alone; fur growing back; wound looks almost completely healed, no swelling or irritation visible.

Last dosage of drugs.

Pissed off that walks are still on lead. Jumps, runs and lurches at every opportunity. Wonders what the hecks going on.

17 Nov Monday:

Scheduled suture removal.

Hope this helps others.

Thanks again for everyone's well-wishes!

Ailsa & Skye

Glad to hear all is getting better. We too had a bad poke. When we got Max he had been a post car accident victim. Somehow he had a hole under his tongue, through the skin, clear out under the jaw. Well it took forever to close, but it didn't help that when he was chewing on a stick he put it right through the hole! Oh what a nasty sight! Hubs pulled it out and flushed it for me. I don't do well in emergency situations at home.

Alisa, I'm so happy Skye's feeling better and it sounds like she's recovering beautifully!

The timeline post you wrote is of immense help to me! Odin goes in on Wed. for his surgery. One detail I was wondering (I might have missed it) - when did you take the E collar off?

Thanks ErinKate, Barb and Kelly! :D

I let Skye off lead for the first time today and took her to our usual weekend romp through muddy woods and dog fields, etc. She went berserkoid, as could be expected. We met an 11 month old English yellow lab (such a big, wide head and spazzy :rolleyes: ) who got quite amorous so she had to tell it off, but she also did her trademark 360 degree spin to confuse him!

Her stitches come out tomorrow morning and the only place that looks a bit red is her actual armpit where I caught her scratching with her back leg. I hope the itch will go away when the sutures come out. She is actually mottled under her fur like a holstein!

Kelly, good luck with Odin. I know its traumatic at first and really anxious-making, but bcs are so tuned in they seem to know and understand when its time to recuperate and chill (granted I can say that because Skye is 6 1/2!). I took Skye's e-collar off within about 24 hours of her coming home. I couldn't stand the guilt. Tried cutting it in half, then tried a home-made foam collar, but these attempts were all fruitless; so we just put an undershirt on her and watched her like a hawk. She's very soft so we didn't have to tell her very many times to leave it alone -- but I didn't leave her alone in the house for a week, though, so it did change my schedule. Since you're down south, I might suggest you get Odin one of those collars like the one Mary used on Buddy (see her pic -- I think she got it at Petco).

Good luck again,

Ailsa