BC Boards

Stick: 1, Skye: 0

Just when I thought it was safe to go back out there, Skye has had a run-in (literally) with a very sharp, pointy, long stick. She came back from a run this a.m. limping -- which made me think it was the phantom gimp again -- until she started crying and licking it. Turns out its quite a large and deep laceration in her left armpit. We are back at home waiting for an opening at the vets for surgery around noon. She looks very sad. Oh boy -- the vet says they have to really go in there and make sure there's no muscle damage etc. and then insert a drain. She'll have to be kept quiet until it heals. Sheesh. We're all very traumatized.... :rolleyes: She hates the vet and is clearly very anxious about them fiddling around in there. But because of her anxiety, they thought it was a good idea that she wait with me at home instead of freaking out there. Very small mercy. So we're on hold at home. Guess I'll be watching more CNN than I thought....

Ailsa

Poor Skye! I hope she heals quickly and feel confident she will once the vet makes sure the wound is OK.

This same type of thing happened in the groin area to my daughter's dog Tundra when she ran over a stick which gave her a deep puncture wound. Absolutely needed vet care. She did heal quickly, as dogs do, compared to us people of a certain age, especially!

Thanks guys :D ...I called DH at work and now he is also freaked out. Does one need to call one's SO? :rolleyes: We are the classic "glass is half full/half empty" household. He said, "If you had driven me this morning you would have gone for a walk later and this never would have happened" to which I replied, "Maybe then she would have done much worse! So let's be thankful". Crazy, eh?

Skye keeps moving around trying to find a comfortable way to lie down. But I see right now she's found a comfy orientation on her side and appears to be sleeping. I'm probably more anxious than she is.

Ailsa

Oh ouchie! Poor thing! Those Random Acts of Ow can happen in strange ways though, so no need for anyone to beat themselves up. A friend of mine's JRT ripped open his armpit jumping off the top of a crate - the door was not completely closed and he hit the little metal knob at the top that would clip into the hole to secure the door shut. Random!

I'm sure Skye will be fine soon!

RDM

Maybe with her rest period for this owie her limp will get a chance to heal.

Hope she's better quick. I hate calling DH out in CO when someone gets at owie or sick. He knows he can't come home to help then he feels even worse. So now if it's not life or death I tell him after I handle things.

Oooph! We had the exact same stab wound, right armpit, last February. As soon as I told people about it, we heard lots of stories about other dogs impaling themselves. My dog had a quick surgery, quick recovery, and was happy as a clam within days.

Although, he was forced to put up with:

Stitches22508A.jpg

Good luck

Mary and Buddy the Older but Wiser...

Oooph! We had the exact same stab wound, right armpit, last February. As soon as I told people about it, we heard lots of stories about other dogs impaling themselves. My dog had a quick surgery, quick recovery, and was happy as a clam within days.

Although, he was forced to put up with:

Stitches22508A.jpg

Good luck

Mary and Buddy the Older but Wiser...

Hey Mary,

I thought I remembered that! So my mind wasn't playing tricks on me after all :rolleyes:

I'm so glad to hear he recovered quickly. Skye is in surgery now and was very listless and noticeably in pain when I brought her in at 12:30. I thought I'd go to work this afternoon but I am a basket case. I told her in the car, "What would we do if we lived on a farm with sheep and all kinds of accidents waiting to happen? We'd have to fend for ourselves and have to be a lot less squeamish about blood." She had no comment.

BTW, where did you get that donut? Looks way better than an Elizabethan collar...

A.

P.S. And thank you all for your well-wishes to Skye. I know its one of those things that you can expect will happen, but its awfully hard to see them in pain and not their normal cheery selves. A house is not a home without a doggie (or 8) in it.

I've seen those doughnuts advertised, but haven't used 'em. I HAVE used a No Bite collar. It's a bit like a cervical collar for humans - dogs can't put their heads in that "crooked" position to bit at wounds or stitches. I used it on my boy when he was neutered. Soooo much nicer than the E-collar. I would be a bit nervous about using one on a front foot problem - they MIGHT be able to get at it. But they can eat, drink, go through doors - even dog doors - with no problems.

diane

So is Skye out of surgery now? How's she doing?

Although dogs are not as hell-bent on suicide as horses, they are very creative at finding ways to hurt themselves. I had a lab cross once who nearly severed a toe just digging in the yard. After I got back from the vet's, I went out to see what she'd hurt herself on and found a huge horse conch shell, completely buried except for one little edge peeking above the sand where she'd been digging. It wasn't even all that sharp. I still have the shell (after the money it cost me I thought I might as well). :rolleyes:

I hope Skye makes a speedy recovery.

So is Skye out of surgery now? How's she doing?

Yeah, she's out but I can't pick her up until 6 p.m. (when the polls close for you guys). They said the wound was very deep but thankfully it didn't puncture any important innerds -- phew! I've called every pet store in town to find any inflatable or Bitenot collar, but no one has any. Our most expensive emergency hospital says they'll order one for me but it will take a few days and I'm afraid to ask how much it will cost...I've found them online but again, it will be several days before I could get one delivered (US companies - i.e. we have no Petco here). Wait for it -- when its all said and done we'll be in the hole probably for more than $1000.00. This could mean no winter holiday :rolleyes: . But, hey, things could be worse.

Ailsa

Glad to hear she's out of surgery, please keep us updated on her progress!

Well she's home and glad to be. Extremely groggy with that damn collar on -- lifting her in and out of the car with that thing was a real struggle. Came back with Metacam, anti-diarhea meds and antibiotic, so she got some meds with cheese...yummm. Otherwise, she's flaked out in the living room, half on the floor and half on her bed, and she'll have to forego election results tonight. No matter; I'll let her know who won tomorrow :rolleyes:

We'll probably be sleeping downstairs with her tonight to make sure she's ok and can go out to pee if need be. I think I'll be staying home with her for the next few days to make sure she's not lonesome and to double-check on the incision and drain -- yuck.

Thanks all for your support. I have gone through this before (surgery, that is) with Riley, but that was years ago and Skye has never had a medical intervention like this so I think she's a bit freaked out. We're to go back in 3-4 days to have the drain removed (that'll be fun - not!) and then again in 2-3 weeks for the stitches. It's going to be very quiet around here for a bit.

Ailsa