BC Boards

BC mix?

I've been hanging around the board because I'm thinking of getting a BC for SAR work but, I've always wonders the mix of one of my dogs. We got her at the SPCA about 6 years ago and they said she was a BC mix. She doesn't have the energy of a BC. She's good for a walk around the block then she's ready to lay down. Any guesses?

IMG_0275.jpg

107_0750.jpg

DSC00103.jpg

There's nothing in the picture that says definitely no to me, but also nothing that says definitely yes. I've been noticing quite a few dogs lately of similar color/markings, because my own Allie is one*. Because I've heard so many guesses, and seen so many different body types, I've concluded it's a combo common to many mixes, and especially to multi-generation mixes. Nonetheless, there's lots of good info here, so please do stick around and let us know how SAR training goes!

*here she is: tilden_sm320.jpg

I've been hanging around the board because I'm thinking of getting a BC for SAR work but, I've always wonders the mix of one of my dogs. We got her at the SPCA about 6 years ago and they said she was a BC mix. She doesn't have the energy of a BC. She's good for a walk around the block then she's ready to lay down. Any guesses?

A walk around the block and then a lie down???! What's that? :rolleyes:

How old do you think she is? Does she play with other dogs or your GSD?

She looks very similar to a friend's dog that was a Humane Society special, and they called her a golden/shepherd cross. I think any dog that is bi-colour and has the vague body shape and size to a bc is called a bc cross.

Whatever, she looks very soulful and gentle. Welcome!

Ailsa

A walk around the block and then a lie down???! What's that? :rolleyes:

How old do you think she is? Does she play with other dogs or your GSD?

She's about 7.5 years old. She will play with my GSD a little but not much. We take her to the dog park and she will run like crazy for about one minute and then she just walks around sniffing dogs. She is the sweetest dog I've ever met. She would be a great therapy dog. My GSD is from working lines and is a maniac.

She's about 7.5 years old. She will play with my GSD a little but not much. We take her to the dog park and she will run like crazy for about one minute and then she just walks around sniffing dogs. She is the sweetest dog I've ever met. She would be a great therapy dog. My GSD is from working lines and is a maniac.

Hi Lenny, Cute dogs. And Welcome. Cant decide about the ole gal, but some thing about her legs and feet makes me wanna guess maybe some pointer.

BTW> My GSD is a working bred 1st generation import and he is definitly NOT a maniac! :rolleyes:

Best to ya with the SAR work, find ya a BC that will air scent, (not hard to find, got one myself) and they'll do a good job for ya.

post-7917-1225739591_thumb.jpg

Cant decide about the ole gal, but some thing about her legs and feet makes me wanna guess maybe some pointer.

BTW> My GSD is a working bred 1st generation import and he is definitly NOT a maniac! :rolleyes:

It's funny you should say that, when she sees a bird or squirrel on the ground she will slowly stalk it and she's been know to lift her front leg like a pointer when she sees something.

As long as I get my GSD her exercise she is an angel in the house. Getting her tired is not an easy task though. I have a dog leash attachment for my bike and I don't have to peddle. She will pull me at dead sprint for a solid mile before she slows down. Your GSD is gorgeous! His coat looks really full. If he a long hair?