BC Boards

Silly Post - Winston learns how to play

I feel kind of silly even posting this but I knew that you guys would understand. Last night, after several weeks of concerted efforts on the part of Ben and Nellie, my foster Winston has finally started to play. It's a little hesistant - he really isn't sure what he's supposed to be doing yet - but he played a little bitey face and did a little paw boxing with Ben.

Anyway, not only was it just cute but it was really heartwarming to watch the old boy learn a new trick! He doesn't play with balls or toys and (at least for the six months I've had him) hasn't played with other dogs so it made me feel good to watch him relax and learn something that most dogs have a chance to learn from the get go. Between that and the fact that he has become much more confident meeting new people, we might find the handsome guy a home at some point after all!

Lisa

That is wonderful! Every once in a while, my dog will relax and stop being so socially tense, and just go at it with another dog. I swear, his body posture tells me he is laughing - he runs with this crazy, low-rider thing, like his hind legs are wheels.

Congratulations.

Mary

As Winston's foster-grandmother, I am very pleased to hear that he is learning to relax (somewhere other than on the couch) and have a little fun with the other grand-dogs.

Miss you, Lisa.

I know exactly how you feel! My dog is almost 3 and I adopted him a year ago. He didn't know how to play at all for the first few weeks. Then for some reason he decided to like playing fetch with a frisbee (but he was so serious about it, it was more like work than play). Then a few months later he really started playing with the frisbee. At this point, he still wouldn't play in the house and wouldn't play with anything but frisbees. He never had any interest in other dogs, but after about a week of having my first foster (several months after his adoption) he broke down and decided to play and they wrestled all over the living room for about an hour! I was so amazed I just stood and watched, not wanting to interrupt them. Then, after having him for about 10 months, he gradually decided that other toys besides frisbees were fun too, and now he is a toy maniac and can de-stuff and de-squeak a toy in no time! It's amazing how they come out of their shells little by little in their own time.

Congrats to Winston on his new discovery!

Thanks for all the replies. It's really rewarding watching Winston come out of his shell and its great to have people who can relate to share it with!

Thanks again,

Lisa

(As for the previos post, apparently I haven't used this computer to check the boards since Mom was here - miss you too Mom!)