BC Boards

Working videos

Chesney's Girl

Hi all, boy this is really where the wheels come off for me with e-training, but i'll try to answer Debbie's question as I understand it. Simply put, if your dog can't drive and fetch in a straight line, he may not have a square flank. Having said that, handler overflanking (common) and a stop that really isn't (commoner) can cause crooked lines too.

so ask yourself; whether my dog is stopped or moving, what is the direction of his first step after i give him a flank? if it's out, then the next question is; to what degree is it out and is that degree appropriate to influence the sheep (hold the line) without changing their direction? if he's too square, i.e. giving ground, the sheep can drift off line toward him or even run off over top of him or refuse to move at all, like into the pen. if the answer to the question is that his first step is sufficiently out without giving ground and he makes adjustment (feels his sheep) based on the type of sheep he is working, then you have a square flank.

OK, so that last bit is perfect worldly, which i sure don't have at my place, but i think you kind of have to have a point of reference then handle based on the distance your dog is from that point ... if that makes sense at all she writes hopefully.

the question about how to square up a flank came up before, so, if you don't mind, please visit my blog and read "outflank 'em.". that will save me a lot of key strokes. plus you'll get to see a gorgeous picture of Millichap's 07 reserve int'l Cap flanking with all his might. if for some reason i've linked the page wrong (big surprise) you can find it under the Q and A label on the sidebar and then "out flank 'em." Please be v e r y careful squaring a dog's flanks. it can be tricky and irreversible.

Cheers all and thanks for the great questions. I appreciate you asking.

Hi all, boy this is really where the wheels come off for me with e-training, but i'll try to answer Debbie's question as I understand it. Simply put, if your dog can't drive and fetch in a straight line, he may not have a square flank. Having said that, handler overflanking (common) and a stop that really isn't (commoner) can cause crooked lines too.

so ask yourself; whether my dog is stopped or moving, what is the direction of his first step after i give him a flank? if it's out, then the next question is; to what degree is it out and is that degree appropriate to influence the sheep (hold the line) without changing their direction? if he's too square, i.e. giving ground, the sheep can drift off line toward him or even run off over top of him or refuse to move at all, like into the pen. if the answer to the question is that his first step is sufficiently out without giving ground and he makes adjustment (feels his sheep) based on the type of sheep he is working, then you have a square flank.

OK, so that last bit is perfect worldly, which i sure don't have at my place, but i think you kind of have to have a point of reference then handle based on the distance your dog is from that point ... if that makes sense at all she writes hopefully.

the question about how to square up a flank came up before, so, if you don't mind, please visit my blog and read "outflank 'em.". that will save me a lot of key strokes. plus you'll get to see a gorgeous picture of Millichap's 07 reserve int'l Cap flanking with all his might. if for some reason i've linked the page wrong (big surprise) you can find it under the Q and A label on the sidebar and then "out flank 'em." Please be v e r y careful squaring a dog's flanks. it can be tricky and irreversible.

Cheers all and thanks for the great questions. I appreciate you asking.

Thanks for this--what a nice clear explanation.