BC Boards

Seeking Suggestions

I think that a climb-proof, dig-proof fence is the best idea - and not electric, for the very reason that Julie P mentioned.

This is probably not at all what you are looking for but, since you are working a lot and your dog seems to be "doing good" for the older couple's old dog, what about the idea of trying "doggie daycare" with them? In other words, take her there on your way to work, let her spend the day and brighten some lives, and pick her up on the way home (making sure, as you do, that you spend time walking, playing, exercising, etc., at home with her).

You would need to work on the recall and the other discipline aspects of this problem but, if you are taking her there and bringing her home, mightn't that take the decision "out of her paws" and into your hands? Maybe this could be a way to turn a problem situation into a win-win situation.

I may be full of it and this idea might be counterproductive, but I'm wondering if it could work.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I'll try to respond to what people have said and give an update.

I can't remember when she started going to the neighbors. There were points last winter she would take off, but she would always come back. I would say that probably around June is when she did start to go over there and we started doing the exchange - they would bring her back or I would go get her. But it wasn't constant.

I want to let her go over to the neighbors - but I want her to listen to me and know that it is her home. The problem is once she is there she won't come back on her own.

This weekend turned out better with the leash. She started going to the bathroom on it and feeling comfortable.

I talked to my trainer - a woman who I have used for basic classes with all my dogs. We determined that my schedule and lack of bringing bula to new environments has probably triggered this. So my new goal is to get out with Bula everday - away from the farm. She even suggested getting a doggy backpack for walks and putting some weight in it to make her work.

She also suggested using food for the recall - to really reinforce it.

I got to take her off the farm yesterday and went for a nice walk. She was the "old" bula and happy. I didn't get to go today because I'm working overnight and had to sleep, but I could tell the difference in her tonight.

My schedule goes back to normal at the end of Nov.

So now I have some tools to work on our relationship. That I am glad. Still have to figure out the fence deal at the farm, but for right now I am ok with doing things on a leash and taking her off property for exercise.

I'll keep an update going because I believe this issued happened to me because I am a new border collie owner and didn't realize that I was motivating her anymore. Like my trainer said - the farm was becoming too familiar for her - she was getting bored with it.

Bored, shmored. She's got a good thing going with the neighbors. She's learned to associate blowing off your recall with going over there and having fun, and she's learned to associate your arrival at the neighbors with the end of fun (and probably with being in trouble). You've got to change those associations. A change of scenery can be a step in that direction -- you can start working on reinforcing her recall without the familiar surroundings that she associates with blowing it off and going to have fun.

But work on it you must. If you go at this with the feeling that your dog is bored and you must do this for her, you are going to be reinforcing your own negative behavior -- ceding control over the dog's life to the dog. If you go at it with the idea that the change in surroundings is a chance for you to work on these issues without the environmental cues of your familiar yard, you are getting back in control of the situation.

Remember that you've taught her these things -- unintentionally, for sure, but you taught them. It's up to you to un-teach them.

I agree with the others who say it's time to put up a fenced area for her. And for heaven's sake, skip the radio collars. They don't work on dogs that are highly motivated to leave and end up serving as a deterrent to returning. You don't need to fence you whole yard. Just an area where she can run and play with the other dogs.

I'd like to clarify that in my maybe-outrageous-doggie-daycare idea with the neighbors, that it would be totally dependent on your taking her there and bringing her home and not on her going anywhere on her own. It would also be dependent on her doing what you say with regards to recall and other discipline, not happening if she is blowing you off. To blow you off should mean an immediate return home if you have to walk her down or just go get her there.

As Bill said, she's learned this routine works and is rewarding. We are always training, whether we are intending to do so or not. I've made my share of mistakes (and still do) in this very way.

Best wishes!