BC Boards

Worried about Odin

Ooky

One of our top agility dogs - a beautiful BC from working lines had shoulder OCD as a pup. Surgery completely fixed him and he went on to be a champion.

Good luck with it all, it is a stressful time indeed. My beautiful young dog has recently been diagnosed with elbow dysplasia and has just had bilateral elbow surgery and I would certainly trade that diagnosis for shoulder OCD!.

One of our top agility dogs - a beautiful BC from working lines had shoulder OCD as a pup. Surgery completely fixed him and he went on to be a champion.

Good luck with it all, it is a stressful time indeed. My beautiful young dog has recently been diagnosed with elbow dysplasia and has just had bilateral elbow surgery and I would certainly trade that diagnosis for shoulder OCD!.

Thanks, Tassie and herdcentral. This really is such a supportive and informative community. I am cuddling Odin in bed this a.m. and counting my blessings. And herdcentral, I am very sorry to hear about your girl's surgeries and wish her all the luck in the world while recovering. That is worse, and it puts things in perspective for me. Please keep us updated.

The weird thing is, I never got a BC to do herding or agility or disc dog or anything - I only started thinking about those things when I realized what he was going to need to keep him happy. Then I started realizing how much fun it was to train/exercise with him, and really looked forward to agility and sheep trialing for myself too - one of the ways he's already changed me. I would not care if he won any titles in any thing we tried, just that he could do it (and everything else in life) without pain and we could have fun together as a team. It is very encouraging to hear of others' not only good but great results.

I too have a BC that has had OCD surgery in the past, to be exact, when he was 8 months old. He is now going to be 5 in January. We do agility with him, I have him on a supplement called Trixsyn, it is a hyralonic acid, seems to keep him "together". Can I ask you what breeder your BC came from? Good luck with your boys recovery, he should be just fine as long as you take his rehab seriously and be consistent.

I too have a BC that has had OCD surgery in the past, to be exact, when he was 8 months old. He is now going to be 5 in January. We do agility with him, I have him on a supplement called Trixsyn, it is a hyralonic acid, seems to keep him "together". Can I ask you what breeder your BC came from? Good luck with your boys recovery, he should be just fine as long as you take his rehab seriously and be consistent.

Hi Nikki,

I PM'd you. Thanks for the tip on the Trixsyn and encouragement on recovery!

Hi ooky, I am so sorry, but I did not get your PM? Did you mean IM? I usually do not stay on the computer for long periods of time, so I must have missed you. I would love to talk with you though. Would you like to give me a call, I can give you my phone #, let me know

• 2 months later...

Got Hank to keep Ellie company and he started to limp and sometimes leg would just stiffen then seem ok except for the limp. He is now 7 months and the vet xrays say elbow dysplasia ununited medial. There are2 fixes open surgery and orthroscopic. Maybe I can get the vet to my knee as well. Be expensive but it looks like it becomes debilitating quickly. I want to follwo the genetic thread as the local rancher from whom we got Hank needs to know as we had another Bc from him the mother was one of our pups never had it then a new dad same mother and bam