BC Boards

Just had very scary incident with foster dog

We have called the vet's emergency number, but haven't heard back yet. We are really shaken up -- both od us ahve alor of experience with dogs, and have NEVER had something liek this happen.

The dog has been okayed by a vet, is up on all her shots, etc. We've had her for a week.

About 20minutes ago, this happened: she was laying on the couch with me,, and startel and suddenly she stood up and started SCREAMING like she was being killed while running through the house and peeing. It lasted for aout a minute. A very scary minute. Have you ever experienced anything like this before?

We want to make sure she's safe AND our cat and dog are safe. She's crated now, and I think it's safe to say all of us are very upset right now.

Thanks.

That does sound very scary for everyone, foster dog included :rolleyes:

To me it sounds like the poor dog had a sudden memory or flashback to something very disturbing and reacted almost instinctively by fleeing and, as a result, involuntary peeing. Sort of a really extreme version of a bad dream with yelping and shaking limbs. Was the dog startled out of a deep sleep when this happened? Do you know what this dog's history is? Were they the victim of an abusive home or are you aware of an incident they might have had that terrified them, like a run-in with an aggressive dog or being alone and helpless on the street? I can only imagine what the memory was that scared her so much. Early in our lives together, my first bc Riley twice awoke from a deep sleep and started howling -- in the middle of the night -- totally freaked us out. She had never howled before and never did when she was awake. We adopted her from the pound at about 10 months after she was picked up as a stray with no history whatsoever.

I would try to make everything as normal as possible and talk to her quietly to reassure her that everything is ok. Being in her crate is probably ok and feels safe for her, if she is used to it. Otherwise, I would try to make her feel as comfortable as possible with everything as routine as you can manage.

Good luck,

Ailsa

That does sound very scary for everyone, foster dog included :rolleyes:

To me it sounds like the poor dog had a sudden memory or flashback to something very disturbing and reacted almost instinctively by fleeing and, as a result, involuntary peeing. Sort of a really extreme version of a bad dream with yelping and shaking limbs. Was the dog startled out of a deep sleep when this happened? Do you know what this dog's history is? Were they the victim of an abusive home or are you aware of an incident they might have had that terrified them, like a run-in with an aggressive dog or being alone and helpless on the street? I can only imagine what the memory was that scared her so much. Early in our lives together, my first bc Riley twice awoke from a deep sleep and started howling -- in the middle of the night -- totally freaked us out. She had never howled before and never did when she was awake. We adopted her from the pound at about 10 months after she was picked up as a stray with no history whatsoever.

I would try to make everything as normal as possible and talk to her quietly to reassure her that everything is ok. Being in her crate is probably ok and feels safe for her, if she is used to it. Otherwise, I would try to make her feel as comfortable as possible with everything as routine as you can manage.

Good luck,

Ailsa

She was absued/neglected. What we know: she was crammed into a small cage with three other dogs since she was a puppy, and was literally almost starved to death when she was rescued.

She was sound asleep, and I had on "Billy Elliott," with the volume low. she was cuddled uop next to me.

I don't know if it was that or something physical, but it was %$#@* scary as hell... for all of us -- human and dogs and cat,

She was absued/neglected. What we know: she was crammed into a small cage with three other dogs since she was a puppy, and was literally almost starved to death when she was rescued.

She was sound asleep, and I had on "Billy Elliott," with the volume low. she was cuddled uop next to me.

I don't know if it was that or something physical, but it was %$#@* scary as hell... for all of us -- human and dogs and cat,

Poor little thing! That explains it to me. Esp if she was space and food deprived. I would just give her a whole bunch of love and kindness -- which I'm sure you're doing already -- and she'll learn that life can be very good :rolleyes:

Good for you to foster,

Ailsa

Early in our lives together, my first bc Riley twice awoke from a deep sleep and started howling -- in the middle of the night -- totally freaked us out. She had never howled before and never did when she was awake.

The same thing happened during the first month or two that I had Craig, and I know he was not abused—at least not in his previous two homes. I think he was just nervous about being in a new home and this is one way he displayed his anxiety. He's a bit of a strange dog in the first place, but he's never done that horrible middle-of-the-night screaming since then. njnovice, it sounds like your pup was in a bit more distress, maybe because she was actually abused :rolleyes: , but hopefully it's nothing physical.

I hope everything is okay with her now.

Petey has had only one bad dream and it was the same sort of scenario. I was watching TV and he was sitting on the couch across the room snoozing away when all of a sudden he jumped up with the screechiest, loudest yelp I've ever heard and he flew across the living room and pressed himself into me shaking. He was fine within minutes and it wasn't nearly as frightening as your incident, but I hope you'd found some relief that others have experienced the same thing!

Hope all goes well with what the vet has to say and just love her.

Poor dog. How did it come to an end?

She ran into the dining room, jumped to look out a window, then BAM -- snapped out of it and wanted to be comforted.

She just threw up a little bit about 20 minutes ago. Stress, I guess.

You guys have made me feel a little better -- thanks. The SO just got off the phone with a friend who runs a pit bull bait dog rescue (he was at the Red Sox game), and he's saying the same thing you all are.

That was one of THE top three scariest things I've ever witnessed, and I'm 43 and haven't lived a sheltered life.

Is the dog on any heartworm meds. If so is it heartgaurd? I have a client that has a dog that did this and I recently got to see it for myself, as she has a seizure just like you describe while I had her in my shop. They said she will run and hide, that the seizure doesnt last but a mineut or two and that she seems fine afterwards. What I witnessed in the shop was very similar, with the screaming and frantic needing to run. I toweled her till she tried to bite me then put her in a crate where she couldnt hurt either myself or her. called the owners and they thankyouverymuch had neglected to tell me she had been having these spells. Vet and they decided it was because of the heart worm meds and switched her twice with the same results. They have for gone giving here heart worm meds and seizures/fits have stopped.

When Jackson was lost in the woods for a night and day, after we got him home, he seemed fine, until one night when he was sleeping on the floor next to DH. I was reading and I hear a moaning, then a whimpering, like he was in pain. I got up and went to the other side of the bed and went to pet him. He raised his head up, bared his teeth and growled at me! Now, understand this is the most bomb proof dog I have ever seen. And he SCARED me! I backed away, and he sorta scooted backwards, closer to DH's head of the bed. He reached down to pet him, and Jackson whipped around, growling at him. I didn't know what to do, so I just shouted, JACKSON!! He blinked, wagged his tail, and came over and licked me. He had a few more episodes of bad dreams, but they have gotten further apart as time goes on. I don't even remember when he had one last. So, it is POSSIBLE for dogs to dream and re-live something they went through. I would have a vet check her out to be sure it is nothing medical. I hope all turns out well for her. Very scary when they do stuff like that.

That is interesting! Never seen a dog do this, though it makes complete sense.

The worst dreams I can tell Buddy has are when he's dreaming he's watching cats. He has a very specific, low, lumbering, extended growl he only uses for watching cats cross our yard. Sometimes, in the middle of the night, he'll lie there growling his cat-growl for ten minutes.

Mary

Today is Monday. How did the poor pup make out? (I have to know.)

There may also be another simple explanation. You say that the dog was lying next to you. Is it possible that you might have accidentally, and without knowing it, trapped a leg under you? I am not suggesting that it would have been to a point of hurting the dog; but a trapped leg can set off a panic in any animal.

awwww...poor wee thing. I too am curious about what the vet said. I'd be a little worried about the vomitting afterwards...that seems a little extreme for an anxiety/panick type situation. But then, my experience is limited to my own pets behaviours. I hope he's doing better today.

I was thinking that it might have been physical too.

Like a cramp of some kind. Charlie horse? You know the kind that will wake you up at night and really hurt? this dog was in a very confined space before you got her? Could her body be adjusting to the movement and the freedom. We know what is happening when we get a cramp, but I can imagine it would be totally scary for a dog that's never had any before. Maybe even a pinched nerve that somehow released when she was running?

What a horrible thing to happen. I hope all is well and that will be the only time she has an issue.

Please let us know.

awwww...poor wee thing. I too am curious about what the vet said. I'd be a little worried about the vomitting afterwards...that seems a little extreme for an anxiety/panick type situation. But then, my experience is limited to my own pets behaviours. I hope he's doing better today.

No I don't think vomitting is extreme at all. Not to be gross or anything but I've had two episodes of this after extremely upsetting situations -- one physical and the other emotional. So I guess that covers both bases.

I hope poor girl is better today too.

Ailsa

Today is Monday. How did the poor pup make out? (I have to know.)

There may also be another simple explanation. You say that the dog was lying next to you. Is it possible that you might have accidentally, and without knowing it, trapped a leg under you? I am not suggesting that it would have been to a point of hurting the dog; but a trapped leg can set off a panic in any animal.

Sorry for the delay -- very busy at work.

She was okay the rest of the night (more restless than usual) and this morning, and was playing with Mick outside a little when I let them both out before work.

Everyone I've talked to seems to think it's a PTSD-type incident.

Bustopher: no. Her one back leg was touching my thigh, but she wasn't trapped. Who knows what she was experiencing in her little mind?

on edit: My MIL is stopping by soon to check on her.

When we got Angel, she would be sleeping in her crate, and just start screaming and barking it would wake my husband and I up. She did this for the first month we had her. Now she doesn't do it anymore. We just let her have her DREAM or SPELL and just go on with our night. We just kept an eye on her to make sure that she wouldn't get hurt. I hope that is helpful for you