BC Boards

Raw diet green tripe question.

Borderco1

So I feed my cat and dog Bravo! raw food plus some other meats, etc. Its not too expensive and I am lazy, plus I can get really cool meats. Anyhow, I bought some green tripe and have no clue how to feed it, as a meal?? small amounts in a few meals??

Does anybody feed it and can help me out?

Guest SweetJordan

I always fed it as a meal, and I don't see why you wouldn't. In fact it's what my dogs are having for dinner tonight. The only thing to keep in mind in my experience is that you can't judge how much tripe to fed in comparison to their other meals. For example say your dog typically eats a pound of raw food a day, but today you are feeding tripe only. Your dog wouldn't necessarily require a pound of tripe. So you may have to experiment a little bit to get it right, and bear in mind that it does have a 1:1 calcium/phosphors ratio. My dogs typically eat twice a day so they never get just tripe though they could. I generally fed it on the days that they get fish for their other meal.

Where did you get your tripe from? The kind from the supermarket for human consumption is bleached which is no good. You may already know this but just making sure.

No its Bravo! frozen tripe, its nasty and not for humans!! lol

I was thinking of adding it to every few meals. He eats once a day and right now is at 1.5 lbs per days plus 3 chicken wings, but seems to be loosing weight. He is a big dog, 24 in and around 47 lbs, and is very active. So because tripe has a lot of cals. I was thinking just add a half cup every two-three days would help him out.

Thanks everyone!

Guest SweetJordan
Your dogs don't get, um, gassy when you feed tripe as a meal?

No they don't. In Europe some dogs live on green tripe alone.

What is it w/ people and gassy dogs? I've had very little problems with it. When my lab ate kibble as a puppy he got gassy. He ate Innova but it didn't matter it was still kibble. He started eating raw as an older puppy and he has had no problems since. Riley on occasion if she gets overfed. People in my house tend to sneak her extra food since she burns everything up, but if she gets too much food that's not good.

So I feed my cat and dog Bravo! raw food plus some other meats, etc. Its not too expensive and I am lazy, plus I can get really cool meats. Anyhow, I bought some green tripe and have no clue how to feed it, as a meal?? small amounts in a few meals??

Does anybody feed it and can help me out?

I've been feeding it as a meal for over 6 years now. I only feed once or twice a month and have never had a problem with dogs getting "gassy" !!