BC Boards

Introducing Myself

Ruby, may I make a suggestion? When "introducing yourself", starting off with a belligerent attitude is not conducive to endearing yourself to those you wish to meet. Hostility and antagonism do not facilitate credibility; such an approach immediately puts your audience on the defensive. You will find that most on this board are reasonable, understanding people, and are open to rational discussion and exchange of ideas. To presume that everyone is your enemy does a disservice to those who would welcome you to their midst.

But then again, that is just my opinion...

Ummm...very eloquent, as usual Bustopher, but I suspect you've used waaaay too many big words to get your point across to our newest friend Ruby. :rolleyes:

Ruby-

I don't know if you've been back and I really hope you do- I noticed "Vale, OR." and that caught my eye. I talked with my ex hubby today and he asked me if I knew your full name, of course not, but he could lead you to some herding people there in Vale. Not "top notch" trainers, but someone to work with. Most are typical farm dogs- not taught much, but they know their way around sheep.

I think you should have "lurked" a tad bit more but that's just my opinion. Anyway, my e-mail's on there and you can send me directly and I can offer ya up to the Vale trainers. It's such a small town- caused my divorce. Darn small towns.

I am interested in training my dogs instead of buying already trained dogs because I'm sick of paying someone else to do what I can do.

Yes, I do use those cone things to keep my dogs out of the trash. So, sue me. Its still legal in Idaho near as I can tell.

Love,

Ruby

Hello Ruby, I seem to be stating the obvious, but I have to ask Ruby, if your such a good trainer that you dont need to spend the money to buy a trained stockdog, because you can do it yourself, then why cant you simply train your dogs to stay out of the trash? Its been my experience that training a dog or even 7 as the case is at my house to stay out of the trash, and my can sits right in the kitchen where it could be got into if everyone didnt know better, is far easier than training a dog to properly work stock.

Am I the only one who thinks that "Ruby" is probably some 50-40-30-some-year-old loser* guy (or gal) who probably doesn't even own a dog, let alone a border collie (excuse me, b.c. "mix"), or some 20 year old kid, either of whom has WAYYYYY too much time on his hands, and visits many other boards – not just this one.

*oops. Sorry if I offended you, Ruby.

Although I must admit, it makes for some interesting posts, and some of these Trolls post pretty clever stuff. :D

I wonder if there are “professional” trolls. :rolleyes:

PS – I’m gonna take back the 50-year-old thing. 50’s and overs usually aren’t computer-savvy enough to know about trolling. I know I had to look it up. :D

PS – I’m gonna take back the 50-year-old thing. 50’s and overs usually aren’t computer-savvy enough to know about trolling. I know I had to look it up.

I hate to dispel your stereotype of the elderly, but I am in my 60's, and consider myself to be quite computer-literate, thank you. Not everyone who passes the threshold of 50 immediately becomes a victim of Alzheimer's Disease... :rolleyes:

I hate to dispel your stereotype of the elderly, but I am in my 60's, and consider myself to be quite computer-literate, thank you. Not everyone who passes the threshold of 50 immediately becomes a victim of Alzheimer's Disease... :rolleyes:

:D oops..sorry.. since I am also in that "elderly" range, I guess I feel that I can poke fun at the stereotypes. :D Just a joke there.

Whew... Thanks for the defense there! I'm closing in on that magic number which the young ones think render one ignorant, and I haven't been a member very long yet, so I didn't want to raise any ruckus about that little ...ahem...slight.

Whew... Thanks for the defense there! I'm closing in on that magic number which the young ones think render one ignorant

yeah, but don't ya just wish you could have that 25-30 year old body BUT retain our "magic number" mind-set (knowing what we do, now.) Wow...we'd be awesome!! :rolleyes:

I just read about a lady who passed away at 101 years of age - five days after her twenty-eight year old horse pitched her over his head. She was teaching horseback riding to the grandchildren of her first students, and making fun of her (seventy-something) "junior" instructors for their inexperience. :rolleyes:

I'll try and find the link - it's a great inspiration.

Anyway I think Ruby is a teenager who just learned some dirty words and is using them to shock the grown-ups. *yawns* I'm not surprised to find most people got bored with this and wandered OT. :D

ETA: Here's the blog link:

Connie Reeves - Scroll down to the video link for interview

I'm 62 and I'm pretty computer-saavy and certainly know about trolls! :-)

Barb S

Yeah, trolls. Aren't they those funny looking dolls with the wild hair? They used to be called "Dammit Dolls." That's also back when flip flops were called thongs! LOL! :D Anyone remember that? :rolleyes: If so, you can pretty much guess my age too! :D

I think Ruby read Darci's post and decided to stir things up a bit. Interesting about the timing of it all

Wanna see firey? Post some thing to the tune of: I have a pound puppy BC that we dearly love, she is 7 months old and she is so smart, and plays frisbee really good. Our neibors have a BC too and he came from a fly ball breeder and we want to breed them becuase we think they would make some pretty puppies.

I think Ruby read Darci's post and decided to stir things up a bit. Interesting about the timing of it all

hmmm...do you think Ruby is someone already on this board who decided to "perk things up"? That would be an interesting theory. It's funny how fast she went away. :D Since I didn't take anything Ruby said seriously, I thought it was pretty clever. I never thought of that. You are probably right!! If that's the case, "Well Done!" whoever you are :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Dont shoot the messenger! :D

Am I the only one who thinks that "Ruby" is probably some 50-40-30-some-year-old loser* guy (or gal) who probably doesn't even own a dog, let alone a border collie (excuse me, b.c. "mix"), or some 20 year old kid, either of whom has WAYYYYY too much time on his hands, and visits many other boards – not just this one.

There seems to be a divergent opinion about 'Ruby'. Some believe that because of her inane and adolescent (MO) posts she must be a charlatan, someone using this forum to get their jollies. OTOH, others (myself included) have responded to her (without much dialogue) by explaining (i) why she has gotten off on the wrong foot in this community, and (ii) why her statements make her appear either, at best, fictional, or at worst, ignorant and cavalier.

Perhaps the bigger picture, and one worth contemplating, concerns the fact that people like 'Ruby' do actually exist. I am reacting here specifically to what she has posted.

(i) her recall method is to drive away and to allow her dog(s) to chase after her car.

(ii) her dog(s) frequently disappear and are either returned to her or she is notified where they are and must retrieve them.

(iii) her dog(s) have been unnamed until her neighbours complained (??)

(iv) her dog(s) wear cones or elizabethan collars to prevent them from getting into the garbage. This is her idea of training.

(v) she intends to breed her dog(s); bcx

(vi) she makes condescending comments to others without prior introduction (not that its ok with prior introduction :rolleyes: ).

(vii) she makes completely inappropriate sexual references in an educational and professional forum.

Have I missed anything?

With the exception of # 3 & 4, I have seen this before. I think we forget that BYBs, people who abandon or mistreat bcs (or any dog for that matter), and others who treat these animals like mere chattel, and who are oblivious to the beauty and value (character and work-wise, not $) of a well-bred border collie, ARE many -- they just usually do not subscribe to boards. Maybe BoPeep can explain to me if this attitude is common practice in some rural areas and what can be done to change the modus operandi of these folk.

Ailsa

No-

I was a little slow and didn't catch on to all her training techniques. It was just kind of nice to see someone from my old town. Guess I got suckered in. Easy thing for me.

No offence meant Dianne (sorry for not calling you by name :rolleyes: ) -- I guess she was just really bugging me and I couldn't figure out why you were being so charitable...getting suckered in easily shows you have a heart and are less judgemental (and perhaps less jaded) than I :D .

Ailsa

Man, you go away for a little while and all sorts of crazy stuff happens. I just can't turn my back on you guys, can I?

Although I only know you from here and your webpage, I feel I know you well enough to say, "Welcome back!" and hope you had a really good time :D . Pics please.

I believe congratulations are in order :D

... and Julie, where have you been??? :rolleyes:

Ailsa