BC Boards

What to do ?

ahoops

Gypsy (3years old ) slid to a stop with ball on beach 3 days ago and hurt her hind right foot by slidding into a bunch of rocks, pebbles. It appears to be that the middle 2 toes have been pushed apart and it looks bruised and sore. Do I go to vet or not? She has worked out the 3 legged walk and by all accounts appears happy in herself but after 3 days is still not using it and i am getting concerned .What would you do?

I would palpate the foot and each toe individually to try to determine where the pain is coming from and to try to determine if one or two joints are different then the others, you may need to compare them to the other foot. My Dixie Doodle was three legged a couple weeks back, through palpation and examination I was able to determine that she had a small cut inbetween her toes. I was able to clean it, put some ointment on it and monitor it, she was three legged for about a week off an on. By trying to isolate the cause of the pain you can make a better evaluation as to whether a vet visit is in order at this time, basically you are going to do ahead of time what the vet is going to do when you take her in, first try to identify the source of the pain.

Deb

Just back from vets and Boy, do I feel bad. It seems she has either broken or damaged the lowest joint in her middle toe .No need for x ray as treatment the same for both

This is where it will get interesting- it has to be strapped and kept clean and dry for 4-6 weeks ! She has had a painkiller and antibiotic injection too ,life as she knows it will be very different for a little while.I am feeling really guilty right now but relieved too that it isnt as bad as it could have been :rolleyes:

Ouch! Shonie dislocated a toe in December of 2006 - 3 weeks of on leash walking only. The good news was that she never even looked twice at the bandage, I was sure she was going to have it off in a heartbeat.

We did a lot of trick training that 3 weeks. Oh, and I sort of re-conditioned her when she got her bandages off. Took her for several good long walks and would alternate running/walking every few steps. I really didn't want her to re-injure herself!

Good luck!

Ruth n the BC3