BC Boards

Thank God for Dogs

Ever sit there and just thank God for your dog(s)?

There are some days I just know if it weren't for my dogs I wouldn't be able to get through the day, what with my health and all.

They don't yell, they don't judge, all they want is a nice game of fetch to blow off some steam.

These guys are so theripuedic!! I swear!

It is so relaxing for me to go and walk a mile with them or to toss that ball for an hour, or to just cuddle up with them while watching a movie, after all the kids are in bed for the night.

Anyone know what I mean?

I thank God everyday for Sage, and Black Jack. I look forward to every weekend so I can see him again.

I do, I thank my fate or whatever it is that sent her my way. Mostly I just thank her for being there.

Dogs in general seem to watch over me: the neighbourhood strays that were my most reliable friends as a kid...the canine strangers in the city who come up and give me a sniff when I'm feeling out-of-place and lonely..."borrowed" dogs like Timmy who taught me how to laugh again after my parents' ugly divorce...and now Kessie, who is far too good to be true but too gritty to be anything else.

Last weekend I went on another paleontology field trip with university (two days and one night). I left Kessie at home because these short trips are just hectic and dangerous without any playtime to make up for it, from a dog's point of view.

But, even though she wasn't there, I looked forward to the trip, I had a good time, I laughed with the other students and they laughed with me, and I generally passed as human. A little weird and quiet maybe, but human :rolleyes: .

A few years back I was so nervous around the others that I could hardly say a word to them. They mistook it for arrogance, although I had nothing but friendly thoughts about them.

Bringing Kessie along has really, really broken the ice. The last six field trips, even the long ones, truly felt like holidays.

I may free-fall straight back down when she finally leaves me, but no one can take these two years away now...

How can we ever thank them enough for being there for us?

That's awesome Sandra, that really made my day or evening rather. Kessie is an awesome dog! your photo album is beautiful too. I really enjoyed looking at it.

I am thankful for the dogs that have come into my life as well. One of my first dogs as a kid, Heidi (BC mix), was my best friend. I had moved from a fairly large town to a VERY small town where I didn't have any friends and couldn't even go anywhere for fun. It was just me, my brother, and Heidi in the woods. We had a lot of fun and when we eventually moved back to the city and my parents gave heidi away my brother and I were heart broken. We had lost our best friend. But without her I dont know how we would have taken the separation from our old lives to our new life. She made it all worth it.

My next dog Bart meant just as much to me. He was a really buddy and used to go everywhere with us. An all around great dog. Makes me sad to talk about him still since we lost him only a few weeks ago due to old age. I thank life, and all there is to thank for bart. He is part of me I wouldn't be the person I am today without him.

And my newest dog, Lance. Man... thank god, goddess, fate, etc. I look forward to as many years as he'll give me. He is the greatest little dog, and surely a godsend.

That's awesome Sandra, that really made my day or evening rather. Kessie is an awesome dog! your photo album is beautiful too. I really enjoyed looking at it.
Thank you, I'm always glad when I get to share some of the joy she brings! The photo album is getting far too bulky for the place it is in though...photography (well, photo-taking, at least :rolleyes: ) is another thing that Kessie brought back into my life, and now I can't stop :D .

I know EXACTLY what you mean. If it wasn't for my dogs, especially Lightning, I just don't know what I'd do.

I do say thanks, to who or whatever sent me these wonderful creatures.

My dogs are there for me, always. I can't even begin to describe how they've changed my life. I do my best to return their unconditional devotion, but it'll never be enough. I owe them so very much.

I've never been a "typical" 16 year old; I have mild anxiety in large groups and I'm very quiet with people I don't know (like Sandra, my shyness is often interpreted as arrogance or disinterest when nothing could be farther from the truth) but with my dogs by my side I'm on top of the world and a regular social butterfly :rolleyes: They wonderful ice breakers, and if I just lay one hand on a little furry head, I'm completely at home in any situation. They both really helped me adjust to the move to Arizona; without them, I would never have been confident enough to go out of my way to meet new friends, and I'd still be sitting at home all the time. Miserable.

They mean the world to me. I can't even begin to thank them.

I'm sure I don't stop to think about it enough, but I would have to thank the dogs I've had for being themselves and sharing their enthusiasm and joy for life with me.

My dogs have enabled me to make wonderful lifelong friends and allowed me to do things I never would have been able to do without them.

I had cats when I was growing up, but I always wanted a dog. I got my first dog when I was out on my own and I have had a dog ever since. I'm perfectly happy without any more cats, but I will always have to have a dog.

When I lost my buddy, Speedway, to a brain tumor last month, I needed another dog ASAP. No dog could ever replace him, but I still needed a dog to help me through the grief, to fill my empty home with life and happines and most importantly, to have a new buddy to love for his own unique personality.

So... right now, I'm most thankful to Zeb for being the right puppy at the right time. He has already wormed his way into my heart and I hope to have many wonderful years with him.

Yeah dogs really do bring people together it's great! That's another great way to know you've got good friend- they treat their dog's right. And their dogs will let you know too. :rolleyes:

I never thought I was a 'dog' person - big, smelly, slobbery, messy dogs - Ugh. When we had Annie, our yellow lab('rescue') she was mostly my hubby's. So I was dragged, figuratively kicking and screaming into getting another dog. See, the deal was that once we moved into a rural area, I would "let" them (the boys) have a dog. Not just a dog, they wanted a puppy!! Egads!! I knew who would end up taking care of said puppy - ME! My brother had 2 BCs at the time, and they bred them. (I know, BYBreeder - but they only had one litter, all spoken for within a short time - mom is spayed now) Let's take one of them (her first litter - 9 males!!). So we got Bo and I fell in love. I can't imagine a day without having him around. Never have had a dog that picked things up so quickly!!! He is smart - scary smart! So now I still tell my family (as I slip Bo a treat) that I am NOT a dog person. And I thank God every day that he/she let me know what it is really like to have a dog that is not just a dog, but a companion too.