BC Boards

Ben: Feb 2, 1996 - Oct 3, 2008

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Condolences to you and your family from this end of the world too, Becca. As others have said, although we don't know you in person, we feel as though we do, and we know how you have helped Ben so much over the years - as indeed you have helped him now.

Too many good dogs have gone lately - but we've been fortunate to have them.

I am so sorry to hear about Ben. He looked like a wonderful fellow who was blessed to be part of your family. I found this in a book I'm reading called "Bones would Rain from the sky"

She says "There is a cycle of love and death that shapes the lives of those who chose to travel in the company of animals. It is a cycle unlike any other. To those who have never lived through its turnings or walked its rocky path, our willingness to give our hearts with full knowledge that they will be broken seems incomprehensible. Only we know how small a price we pay for what we receive; our grief, no matter how powerful it may be, is an insufficient measure of the joy we have been given."

I have no doubt that Ben gave you much joy.

Ben is in the company of many good dogs who have gone before him.

RIP .

Becca, I'm so sorry. Ben was such a wonderful gentleman at our NC BC picnics. Fergie will miss him. No wonder she was subdued yesterday.

But now he's a youngster again - and with all the sheep he ever wanted.

Thanks to you all. I'd forgotten about that Laura! I have a picture somewhere of you holding a lamb, rather bemused, with Ben looking up at you. Not THE lamb you'd hold later that day (ack).

Okay, Ben story. So it's the big parting moment, and I'm too choked up to say anything. The vet tech is talking to Ben, so he's paying attention to her, like a good dog as usual. I'm thinking, "He's going to be gone without my getting a chance to share parting looks or anything!"

Ben was always the Wal-Mart greeter after we worked him through his rough beginning. I'd never know for whether I'd send him to an agility obstacle, a flyball box, or a group of sheep at a trial - would he actually do what he was going to do, or would he decide that I'd sent him up to make the steward/box judge/setout person, a little happier that day? :rolleyes:

On Friday, though, I'd forgotten what he always did ultimately - came back to get my thanks for doing his job. When the sedative went in and the pain went away, I realized he'd been uncomfortable for a while, because he got a really happy look in his eye - and surprised - and turned to me and clear as day said, "Wow, that feels great! Thanks! Whoopsie, coming down!" and it was my lap he came to - Happy Puppy at the end.