BC Boards

Plain yogurt?

I give at least a cupful of organic plain yogurt , most mornings , it's a treat and very good for the stomach ; I also add it to the vegetable soups I make for us and put on her kibble ...anyway it's healthy !

Guest amylobdell24

I do fill my dog's Kong with it then freeze it - she loves it!! The organic kind is the best, but I've also used the sugar-free/low carb vanilla kind. Kenna's stomach is really sensitive, but neither of these options have ever seemed to have given her a problem.

I freeze it in a Kong, too. My two like banana, lemon, vanilla, maple, and plain. I found that out before I heard some people only give plain and only give organic. The not-organic kind did not seem to bother them at all. They get the organic kind now if I give it... but I still give them a variety of flavors.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

Other than for a treat, what is it about plain yogurt that is good for dogs? I have heard of giving it to them before but am not really sure why.

Yum, it's the probiotics in yogurt. I love plain yogurt - just a teeny spoon of fruit topping with it. Whole milk yogurt like you can get at a holistic food store is the best and contains the most beneficial probiotics.

I have to use it to soothe my IBS (prescribed by my GI dr, oh darn) so I know it's not just holistic voodoo science. :rolleyes: Well, not for me, anyway.

I would add a tablespoon or so a day, slowly increasing it. You might not have a problem if you add a bunch right off the bat - *but* you could end up with the squirts. Depends on how your dog handles it. A tablespoon at first shouldn't cause any problems.

(I learned the lesson the hard way when I accidently left the yogurt container on the chair when I went to answer the door... :rolleyes: )

My guys get a large dessertspoonful of plain non-fat yoghurt, the kind with acidophilus, bifidus and lactobacillus - with their breakfast kibble every morning. I particularly do it if they're on antibiotics for any reason, but also just because they love it, and I figure it's probably good for their GI tract.

I filled Sam's kong ball. He loved it.

So they can have cottage cheese. Does this tend to give them the runs or is this one a limited amount?

Sam was getting bored by peanut butter in his kong. I had to finish cleaning it out last time.